On paper are the Oilers better or worse than they were last season?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

On paper are the Oilers better or worse than they were last season?

• Total voters

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Apparently people are Ceci fans now..

Funny how that works.. This place man :laugh:
All of a sudden, it’s like we’ve lost our #1 defenceman. In reality, he was a #5 forced to play higher in the line-up.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
I watched him lose in the finals. He sucks. But enjoy him. You’ll never win with him
We’re pretty accustomed to dumb rhetoric from our rival fans. Sad to see it seep into your fanbase too.

Losing in the finals does not equate to sucking.

Somehow a goalie who is that bad still managed to take the current champs to a game 7 and start the entire year/playoffs leading up to that.

What’s your rational? Is it your spectacular eye-test? It can’t be the results because that means 29 other goalies suck even worse.

Or is it that he’s reaching an elderly 26 years old and is going to regress rather than improve like every other goalie approaching their prime?

Reactions: I am not exposed

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I watched him lose in the finals. He sucks. But enjoy him. You’ll never win with him
You have no clue. How does Skinner suck? The Oilers were within 1 goal of beating your Panthers where Skinner gave up a total of 7 goals in the last 4 games. He had something like a .930 save pct. in Games 4-7 of playoff series last playoffs. A .913 save pct. in his rookie season finishing 2nd in the Calder Race, a .905 save pct. miraculously last season after an absolute tire fire of a team in front of him the first 20 games or so.

The only time he really sucked was his first time in the playoffs, as a rookie. You have no clue, like I said. He's at least an average #1 goalie in this league, not great not elite but certainly doesn't "suck".

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
So the ceci that everyone thought was so bad that needed a first attached is now the linchpin for the oilers defense color me surprised

Lol what out of the last three seasons they've only had last year where they didn't have a great start but thanks for sharing you don't actually pay attention to the team and just vomit out your feelings instead

Prior to this playoffs the Oilers have lost Game 1 of the playoffs EVERY year since the Anaheim Series in 2017. That's 7 playoffs series in a row they lost game 1.

I at least back my shit up. You just come around throwing crap all over the place with no logic or reason. Then make disparaging childish comments at others. Get a life bud.

You want to debate this let's do it. You want to just throw shit against the wall and start this childish feeling post crap then carry on posting your junk nobody cares about.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Man I didn’t realize how good Ceci, Broberg and Holloway were. Massive impact players.
From a two-man team all season long to a team decimated by the loss of a bottom 6 forward, a #5 defenceman, and a defenceman (with potential) who spent most of the season in the AHL.

Make it make sense.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Prior to this playoffs the Oilers have lost Game 1 of the playoffs EVERY year since the Anaheim Series in 2017. That's 7 playoffs series in a row they lost game 1.

I at least back my shit up. You just come around throwing crap all over the place with no logic or reason. Then make disparaging childish comments at others. Get a life bud.

You want to debate this let's do it. You want to just throw shit against the wall and start this childish feeling post crap then carry on posting your junk nobody cares about.
Lol at diverting your opinion to playoffs in which the oilers have won six rounds in the last three years. You literally third sentence of your original post the oilers start seasons poorly like this season and seasons past at least commit to your dumb takes instead of pretending like there isn't a quote button that shows exactly what you said for everybody to read

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
We’re pretty accustomed to dumb rhetoric from our rival fans. Sad to see it seep into your fanbase too.

Losing in the finals does not equate to sucking.

Somehow a goalie who is that bad still managed to take the current champs to a game 7 and start the entire year/playoffs leading up to that.

What’s your rational? Is it your spectacular eye-test? It can’t be the results because that means 29 other goalies suck even worse.

Or is it that he’s reaching an elderly 26 years old and is going to regress rather than improve like every other goalie approaching their prime?
Mcdavid effect. Skinner gave up way too many soft goals.

You have no clue. How does Skinner suck? The Oilers were within 1 goal of beating your Panthers where Skinner gave up a total of 7 goals in the last 4 games. He had something like a .930 save pct. in Games 4-7 of playoff series last playoffs. A .913 save pct. in his rookie season finishing 2nd in the Calder Race, a .905 save pct. miraculously last season after an absolute tire fire of a team in front of him the first 20 games or so.

The only time he really sucked was his first time in the playoffs, as a rookie. You have no clue, like I said. He's at least an average #1 goalie in this league, not great not elite but certainly doesn't "suck".
He only looked better because Edmonton had to change their whole style of play to protect him. It almost worked but he just sucked too much.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Lol at diverting your opinion to playoffs in which the oilers have won six rounds in the last three years. You literally third sentence of your original post the oilers start seasons poorly like this season and seasons past at least commit to your dumb takes instead of pretending like there isn't a quote button that shows exactly what you said for everybody to read

Rofl you really are on the slow side aren't you. Like can you go verify and maybe come up with a valid rebuttal that's not just you spitting crap out of your mouth with no real information to back it up. You're a text book bull shitter that provides no value and absolutely nothing to back up the crap you post. You suck at hockey conversations.. that's ok.

First 20 games since the covid shortened season

2021-2022 15 wins, 5 losses Playoffs lost all 3 game 1's.
2022-2023 10 wins, 10 losses Playoffs lost all 2 game 1's.
2023-2024 7 wins, 12 losses, Playoffs lost 2 of 4 game 1's.

So in 3 years with regular season and playoffs there is 1 instance where they didn't start a season or playoffs down. This year they won 2 game 1's, then proceeded to go down in one of them right after.

I think it's in the psyche of the team and leadership. You have no opinion.. you don't really have an opinion on anything because all you do is spit out a bunch of bullshit and whataboutism and should woulda coulda. Classic HFboard complainer.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Mcdavid was the only reason that series was close. If you think Skinner is even average then I don’t know how to help you.
Most Oiler fans were crucifying Skinner all playoffs. Now they’re pumping his tires because he had a few good games near the end.
The polar opposite of what they’re doing to Broberg and Holloway right now.
HF in a nutshell

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Mcdavid was the only reason that series was close. If you think Skinner is even average then I don’t know how to help you.
McDavid plays 25 some minutes as a centre, to be clear. A goalie plays the entire game. Not sure you understand the team sport concept.

If you think Skinner - a 25 year old in his second season as a starter and who played almost the entire playoffs leading to a tight game 7 - is below average, I don’t know how to help you.

He had a bad game here and there but being disingenuous and ignoring anything objective doesn’t help you or rationalize your post.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Most Oiler fans were crucifying Skinner all playoffs. Now they’re pumping his tires because he had a few good games near the end.
HF in a nutshell
He rightfully deserved flak for the few bad goals/games he had. But if Oilers fans calling Skinner average causes this much distress from opposing fans like yourself, then your glasses are too tinted anyways.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
HF in a nutshell
More cluelessness. Those Oiler fans don't get it either, there's a certain portion of the fanbase that hates Skinner no matter what, it's weird.

Here's his GA in the playoffs after Game 1 against Vancouver when he was horrendous...

Just in case you don't see the math. That's 1 goal in 5 of 17, 2 goals or less in 11 of the 17 games and 3 or less in 14 of the 17. He outdueled Jake Oettinger who is supposedly super awesome while Skinner is garbage. He wasn't great early in the Vancouver series, struggled somewhat in the L.A. series but he got better as the playoffs went on.
Seriously you guys just really need to watch hockey and put the bias aside. It's not difficult.

Now I'm not saying that Skinner is a top tier goalie, he still has some consistency issues as do most goalies in the league nowadays, but he certainly doesn't suck. He's good enough to win a Cup for a team especially on a team like Edmonton that doesn't need a goalie to be superhuman.

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
Voted better, surprised to see worse is winning handily. Their offensive depth was a bit of a weak point last year, but I'm a big fan of the Arvidsson & Skinner additions, especially if Arvi can play more than 5 games without going on IR. Full season of Henrique at 3C, and if Kane is able to play even better. Deepest offense in the league now and I'm not sure it's all that close?

Definitely need to improve the D corps, which there is still time to do. Not going to pretend like the guys they lost on D are going to have a major impact.

Reactions: PuckG

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
McDavid plays 25 some minutes as a centre, to be clear. A goalie plays the entire game. Not sure you understand the team sport concept.

If you think Skinner - a 25 year old in his second season as a starter and who played almost the entire playoffs leading to a tight game 7 - is below average, I don’t know how to help you.

He had a bad game here and there but being disingenuous and ignoring anything objective doesn’t help you or rationalize your post.
Alright we can come back to this next season when he blows round 2 for you Becuase he can’t stop unscreened wrist shots.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Alright we can come back to this next season when he blows round 2 for you Becuase he can’t stop unscreened wrist shots.
“I’m wrong right now and have nothing objective to stand on but I’ll be right about it some day and I’ll talk to you then.”

Sure, man.

Reactions: BudBundy

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
“I’m wrong right now and have nothing objective to stand on but I’ll be right about it some day and I’ll talk to you then.”

Sure, man.
Don’t be so emotional. You have Mcdavid and a great coach. That alone can carry Skinner if everything aligns and he can be average.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Don’t be so emotional. You have Mcdavid and a great coach. That alone can carry Skinner if everything aligns and he can be average.
“Emotional” is stating something subjective and based on how you feel. Kind of like your ongoing analysis of Skinner sucking. Nothing based on stats or objective results - just your feelings.

Still waiting on anything objective to support that Skinner has been below average. Or we can wait until your correct later on…

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
“Emotional” is stating something subjective and based on how you feel. Kind of like your ongoing analysis of Skinner sucking. Nothing based on stats or objective results - just your feelings.

Still waiting on anything objective to support that Skinner has been below average. Or we can wait until your correct later on…
I watched our series. He gave up plenty of softies and his playoffs were just not good. He was horrid to start.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

McPoyle

Start breaking bricks wet nips
Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Just a summary of the roster changes for the Oilers compared to the start of 2023-24.

In: Arvidsson, J. Brown, C. Carrick, Emberson, Henrique, Perry, Podkolzin, Savoie, J. Skinner.

Out: Broberg, S. Carrick, Ceci, Desharnais, Erne, Foegele, Gagner, Holloway, McLeod.

The "in" group is much better and more proven now. Who's the best player in the out group? Foegele maybe? Or McLeod? The in group has several players better than any in the out group. Arvidsson, Henrique, and Skinner. And I also think that Emberson will be an upgrade on Ceci.

"Out" group could be better in a few years time. That doesn't matter to a win now team. Savoie is also the best prospect of both groups.

And keep in mind this iteration of the Oilers has plenty of cap space to continue to add as the season goes on.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad