Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] D Jani Hakanpaa signs with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $1.47M)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I don't think the Leafs ever said that, it might have been reported that they said it but the only quote I ever remember form the Leafs was a couple of weeks ago when asked, Tre said "we are still working that one through".

It was the first time I had heard him comment on Hakanpaa at all. He didn't say we weren't signing him so I I was pretty sure that we were.

As it played out Tre handled these last few moves really well. I believe he didn't want to sign Hakanpaa (or Pacioretty) until Robertson was done, he didn't want to leave himself exposed for an offer sheet.

He got Robertson done, then immediately Hakanpaa and now Patches on PTO. We are not over the cap until Pacioretty signs and if he does we may have an injury or just sacrifice Reaves and/or Timmins to waivers, I am not sure either is selected.

You actually think someone would have given him an offer sheet? And why would an offer sheet have mattered? The player requested a trade and they would have received compensation so who cares if someone gave him an offer sheet?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
OEL as a top 4 D sucks. He is bottom pairing for a contending team but if he is the focus of the top forwards from opposing teams, he will be a flop. Reilly and Tanev is an excellent pairing. Bottom 4 is iffy and I would rank Tyler Myers and Soucy even higher than OEL.
Those pairing probably incorrect. McCabe will be 2nd pair left side and OEL on the 3rd.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
As a Leafs fan, we do have a long history of signing guys in their late 20s or older, who have a long history of health problems, and are very risky signings. Klingberg, Murray, Kase, Connolly, Lombardi, etc. Sometimes it sort of works out, often it's a complete failure, and I can't really think of any case, off the top of my head, where it's been a great move. Maybe I'm forgetting someone, though.

Obviously they think he's healthy enough to be an effective player this year, or they wouldn't have signed him. Whether or not they're right is very much TBD.
You can add Lindros to the list.

Reactions: ponder

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
You actually think someone would have given him an offer sheet? And why would an offer sheet have mattered? The player requested a trade and they would have received compensation so who cares if someone gave him an offer sheet?
Possibly, if the Leafs were tight against the cap. Nothing outrageous, but maybe someone offers him $1.1M or $1.2M to see if we match back. We probably would have as there wouldn't have been any compensation. It would have cost us $200K or $300K more on the cap.

Who knows?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad