OT: Olympics

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I love the Olympics. I'll obviously favour the events with Kiwis in them (Rowing and Kayaking tend to be our place to gather medals) but I'll happily just sit and watch anything that's on.

Wifey and I watched Coco Gauff against Donna Vekic a couple of nights ago for the tennis. That was a good match.

What events are you guys watching?

I've been catching highlights and a scattering of various sports. I love random things so hopping around from swimming to gymnastics to the women's rugby when I have a chance. I haven't watched nearly what I used to, partly due to opportunity.

Reactions: KiwiGriff

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
I've been catching highlights and a scattering of various sports. I love random things so hopping around from swimming to gymnastics to the women's rugby when I have a chance. I haven't watched nearly what I used to, partly due to opportunity.
I woke up to a couple of messages from one of my mates who lives out on Vancouver Island.

First message: We're going to beat you for gold in the women's rugby 7s.

Second message: Or not.

• Haha
Reactions: Chainshot

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I love the Olympics. I'll obviously favour the events with Kiwis in them (Rowing and Kayaking tend to be our place to gather medals) but I'll happily just sit and watch anything that's on.

Wifey and I watched Coco Gauff against Donna Vekic a couple of nights ago for the tennis. That was a good match.

NZ mens 4 in rowing will have a shot at gold to close out the next session

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007

Hockey

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Both of USA women’s volleyball’s matches so far have been amazing - particularly today. So much fun I highly suggest tuning in even though they should handle France pretty easily for the last match.

Reactions: Jacob582 and HOOats

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Both of USA women’s volleyball’s matches so far have been amazing - particularly today. So much fun I highly suggest tuning in even though they should handle France pretty easily for the last match.
It's truly one of the marquee events.

The tension in that Serbia match was off the charts. Some crazy gets by both liberos. That star Serbian hitter was a major problem.

But the good gals won in the end.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
With fencing I don't know, they run into each other and then both cheer as they won, then someone gets a point because he hit first (or sometimes not).
I like watching the archers more.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Lots of delayed events today, the sailing medal race was abandoned the secomd time today, but now the weather break for golf is over.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I love every four years becoming the world's foremost expert in fencing. Just stick them with the pointy end, it's not that hard!
(and)
I thought they were doing olympic beekeeping until I saw the swords
My daughter fenced for a couple years in high school (it was a non-scholastic community club, variety of ages / skills). She became really good at it. Placed / won a couple tournaments for her age/skill level in and out of state. More importantly she enjoyed it. Had a good instructor - it was his passion. He was a few years younger than me. It's an interesting sport in that it involves fitness, skill, strategy. Size / strength / gender differences (at least at the levels I saw) weren't as differentiating.

I've posted before about a former work colleague / fellow Bills & Sabres fan qualified for the 1980 Olympic team in shooting as a 17 or 18yo. Pretty sure he was on the Frontier HS team (the other option is Iroquois central, but I'm 99% sure he was Hamburg / Frontier). Couldn't go because of the boycott.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
(and)

My daughter fenced for a couple years in high school (it was a non-scholastic community club, variety of ages / skills). She became really good at it. Placed / won a couple tournaments for her age/skill level in and out of state. More importantly she enjoyed it. Had a good instructor - it was his passion. He was a few years younger than me. It's an interesting sport in that it involves fitness, skill, strategy. Size / strength / gender differences (at least at the levels I saw) weren't as differentiating.

I've posted before about a former work colleague / fellow Bills & Sabres fan qualified for the 1980 Olympic team in shooting as a 17 or 18yo. Pretty sure he was on the Frontier HS team (the other option is Iroquois central, but I'm 99% sure he was Hamburg / Frontier). Couldn't go because of the boycott.
One of my son's roommates at college last year is pretty good at skeet shooting. Not Olympic-level good, but pretty good.

His shotgun cost more than my son's Porsche.

An interesting Rochester Olympic story is that a pole vaulter at Roberts was the 3rd qualifier for the US.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
While living in North Carolina, I met someone who was big into fencing. I believe she wound up as one of the armorers for either 2000 or 2004 US fencing team. Not a relationship that I’ve maintained but she was giddy when she was selected.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
While living in North Carolina, I met someone who was big into fencing. I believe she wound up as one of the armorers for either 2000 or 2004 US fencing team. Not a relationship that I’ve maintained but she was giddy when she was selected.
Reminds ne...

I recall through my job working for the Army one of the recruiters in our arr eas going to olympic facility in colorado for tr as ining for 2008 games. His sport was I think was Judo. He was an alternate for the 2004 games.

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
One of the girls (women) that works for me competed at one Olympics and one Commonwealth for swimming. Silver and bronze at the Commonwealth, didn't medal at the Olympics.

One of my good school friends that I'm still in touch with has an uncle with four golds (Kayaking) and his son (her cousin) has been to four Olympics for swimming and kayaking (didn't medal) but he went from there to an America's Cup win.

That's my huge linkage to successful sports people.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2