OT: Olympics

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Every four years, I find myself just walking by a TV and see an Olympic event an American is competing in. I then find myself compelled to watch high profile events like the 800m freestyle, and treat it as if it's a Bills playoff game.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Every four years, I find myself just walking by a TV and see an Olympic event an American is competing in. I then find myself compelled to watch high profile events like the 800m freestyle, and treat it as if it's a Bills playoff game.

Had some time with my younger spawn today and we went to a new local independent bookstore. And these very granola folks were talking about chanting “USA! USA!” during a couple of the broadcasts yesterday.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Had some time with my younger spawn today and we went to a new local independent bookstore. And these very granola folks were talking about chanting “USA! USA!” during a couple of the broadcasts yesterday.
That was the thing to do, for sure!

I remember being in Germany, glued to the TV as Deena Kastor ran the women's marathon. She came from behind to win bronze. First US woman to medal in the marathon in 20 years.

Last edited:

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Fun fact: The first modern Olympiad, the revival of the ancient games, held in 1896 in Athens had both track and field events. However, while the discus throw was one of the field events, the javelin throw was not. That is because the javelin was a "paired" or "twin" qualification. Each athlete needed to qualify in both the javelin throw and the javelin catch, and too many were eliminated (permanently) to hold the competition.

rtfirefly

Nov 13, 2013
Are Brodie Malone and Eric Comrie the same person?

Attachments

• BrodyMalone.jpg
    BrodyMalone.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 1
  • EricComrie.jpg
    EricComrie.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 1

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
Faaaaaar out. Hayden Wilde (from NZ) leads the run in the men's triathlon for almost the whole 10km and then gets passed with about 400m to go because Alex Yee seems to have an extra tank of energy. Great race to watch.

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
I love the Olympics. I'll obviously favour the events with Kiwis in them (Rowing and Kayaking tend to be our place to gather medals) but I'll happily just sit and watch anything that's on.

Wifey and I watched Coco Gauff against Donna Vekic a couple of nights ago for the tennis. That was a good match.

What events are you guys watching?

Reactions: Chainshot

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I love the Olympics. I'll obviously favour the events with Kiwis in them (Rowing and Kayaking tend to be our place to gather medals) but I'll happily just sit and watch anything that's on.

Wifey and I watched Coco Gauff against Donna Vekic a couple of nights ago for the tennis. That was a good match.

What events are you guys watching?

Weird how the Olympics gets you interested in sports you otherwise wouldn’t care about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad