Olympics 2026 qualification

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Miro Šatan is consistent. He’s not a hypocrite like all the other federations are.
Consistent where?
-Men’s NT that hasn’t made the WC QF in years. And won a medal on the back of a 17 year solo carrying the team.
-Garbage U20 coaching and training structure, that didn’t produce any results with the best Slovak generation in years (that generation developed by parents own money rather than any help from the federation)
-Shameful U18 “project,” where players are often selected because of connections rather than their actual hockey skills. With coaches who don’t know how to teach player development but rather how to stick handle through cones.

This is simply the truth and hopefully it shows at the qualification. Miro’s “success” is solely on convincing Ramsey to coach the NT (one medal btw). The 2004 draft success was either because of their own parents or from other countries (Finland and Sweden in particular). I’m curious, why doesn’t Miro send his own son who was somehow “drafted” to play in the MHL or VHL instead of the Ushl ?

I think they will want the KHL Defensemen. They are pretty shallow on NHL/AHL Defense.
Gernat and Grman :laugh::laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Faterson

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
I’m alway wondered why Norway isn’t to the level of Sweden and Finland in hockey.

Vikz

Dec 26, 2021
I’m alway wondered why Norway isn’t to the level of Sweden and Finland in hockey.
Its like asking why Estonia does not play on the level of Latvia, Austria - on the level of Switzerland and Kyrgyzstan on the level of Kazakhstan. There are just different factors besides geography.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

HamburgerSK

Jan 18, 2022
Consistent where?
-Men’s NT that hasn’t made the WC QF in years. And won a medal on the back of a 17 year solo carrying the team.
-Garbage U20 coaching and training structure, that didn’t produce any results with the best Slovak generation in years (that generation developed by parents own money rather than any help from the federation)
-Shameful U18 “project,” where players are often selected because of connections rather than their actual hockey skills. With coaches who don’t know how to teach player development but rather how to stick handle through cones.

This is simply the truth and hopefully it shows at the qualification. Miro’s “success” is solely on convincing Ramsey to coach the NT (one medal btw). The 2004 draft success was either because of their own parents or from other countries (Finland and Sweden in particular). I’m curious, why doesn’t Miro send his own son who was somehow “drafted” to play in the MHL or VHL instead of the Ushl ?

Gernat and Grman :laugh::laugh:
I'm afraid your assesment is being made on basis of your disappointment with recent nomination and unrealistic expectations. Take the bronze medal as a bonus, Slovakia is now firmly placed at 8-9th place. Opposite to you, I consider the recent achievements at junior level as a huge success.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Considering Satan felt the need to make a statement, this is hockey related as much as it is political.

“Nowhere in the law is it written that you cannot invite players from the KHL to the national team. Your morals are your own. Another person may have different ones. We work for everyone, regardless of whether they are politically Right or Left, Christians or Atheists. We represent the entirety of Slovakia." - Miroslav Satan

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Considering Satan felt the need to make a statement, this is hockey related as much as it is political.

“Nowhere in the law is it written that you cannot invite players from the KHL to the national team. Your morals are your own. Another person may have a different ones. We work here for everyone, regardless of whether they are politically Right or Left, Christians or Atheists. We represent the entirety of Slovakia." - Miroslav Satan
I do not know if you are familiar with the situation. One journalist asked Šatan whether Slovak KHL players have breached the National Team Code of Ethics. By journbalist´s logic they should breach the Code due to signing a contract with KHL team. Šatan responded as you quoted, I would rather use a term code instead of law.

Another journalist seriously asked Šatan if he/head coach would invite a Slovak player to join NT at OG Q if that player played for a Taliban team? No politics from my side, just a journalist asked exactly that. I am quoting THIS to give a context other posters not familiar with situation.

GagneHanson12

Aug 15, 2011
Struggle to see how it has nothing to do with hockey when at least 2/3 teams signing the paychecks of those Slovak players in the KHL are either owned by the russian government, or an oligarch closely associated with the regime (harder to find data on who owns vladivostok than a simple Google search)
Enough of the Political crap that has zero to do with hockey. Take this as a warning.

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
List of pretournament games this week

Thursday 22nd
SLO vs AUT, in Bled, Slovenia @ 7pm CEST,

Friday 23rd
NOR vs FRA, in Sarpsborg, Norway @ 6.30pm CEST
Herning Blue Fox vs JPN, in Herning, Denmark @ 7.30pm CEST
Cardiff Devils vs GBR, in Cardiff, UK @ 7.pm BST

Saturday 24th
NOR vs FRA, in Sarpsborg, Norway @ 2pm CEST
AUT vs SLO, in Graz, Austria @ 4pm CEST

Sunday 25th
Herning Blue Fox vs JPN, in Herning, Denmark @ 3pm CEST
LAT vs DEN, in Riga, Latvia @ 4pm EEST
Piráti Chomutov vs KAZ, in Chomutov, Czechia @ 5.30pm CEST
HUN vs UKR, in Budapest, Hungary @ 6pm CEST
Belfast Giants vs GBR, in Cardiff, UK @ 6pm BST

Monday 26th
LAT vs DEN, in Riga, Latvia @ 5pm EEST

Looks like Slovakia are the only ones going straight into their OGQ without playing a game first.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
What does the Slovak National Team Code of Ethics entail? How are ethics even defined? Could Slovakia theoretically ban US based NHLrs considering their tax money goes towards funding a lot of unethical military activities?
It's a slippery slope if ethics is politically defined. I applaud Satan's worldview. Hockey is for everybody.
To be fair, perhaps I used incorrect term. De iure it is called "Štatút reprezentanta" something like Statute/Code of National Team Hockey Player. Basically, it is nothing extraordinary. Guessing the players´ contracts with teams (or CBA) have similar terms. You can read it here (in Slovak).

If I remember correctly, they adopted the Code/Statute after WJC when Martin Pospíšil & Miloš Fafrák criticized the head coach via posts on their social media (read). The most common rule is how the player should behave on social media while being on NT camp/tournament. There was a story when Martin Reway was not invited to IIHF Worlds due to his off-ice behaviour in past. Player should be a positive idol for kids, that is another aspect of the Code.

It is one thing what is written in Code/Statute, another thing how journalists present it. According to journalists explanation, player breaches the NT code if he signs a contract in KHL. As simple as that. Because, per them, if player signs such a contract, he actively supports everything the foreign government is doing (aka Hašek´s logic known to every hockey fan).

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland

Maybe some norwegian guys can answer that. I think they priorize some other sports above ice hockey. Other winter sports such as skiing and of course football. I dont think ice hockey is even remotely popular anywhere in Norway except maybe Stavanger area? At least I know they DO CARE about qualifying to the olympics for sure.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
GB-Men-OQ-August-2024-1024x1024.jpeg

Training Camp squad for GB, good to see Waller back from injury, still no Conway but not too shocked about that, otherwise business as usual for the team. Clements/Shudra/Duggan/Norris probable cuts when the squad trims down to 23.

Olympic qualification likely a bridge too far but as we saw in the WC it's still a side good enough to play potential spoiler for one of Norway and Denmark, and I'd be disappointed if we can't at least keep those games somewhat competitive.
Why did Conway bother agreeing to play in the first place if he wasn't going to commit?

Fjorden

Jan 17, 2021
Bergen, Norway
www.bergenishockey.no
Lack of ice surfaces(ice hockey infrastructure.) Finland have 293 rinks, Sweden 374 rinks.
Norway only have 54 rinks.

But Norway had two draft picks in the 1. round this year, so it is possible to find top players in Norway, but it is impossible to get any good depth with only 54 rinks.

So Norwegian hockey has quality players like Zuccarello, Stian Solberg, Michael Brandsegg Nygård. But the depth is very limited due to very few ice rinks.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Lack of ice surfaces(ice hockey infrastructure.) Finland have 293 rinks, Sweden 374 rinks.

But Norway had two draft picks in the 1. round this year, so it is possible to find top players in Norway, but it is impossible to get any good depth with only 54 rinks.

So Norwegian hockey has quality players like Zuccarello, Stian Solberg, Michael Brandsegg Nygård. But the depth is very limited due to very few ice rinks.
Slovakia has like 60-70 rinks and much better depth than Norway. I think for some reason there just isn’t as much interest in hockey in Norway. If there was, it wouldn’t really be an issue to build a hundred new rinks in Norway, would it?

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

Fjorden

Jan 17, 2021
Bergen, Norway
www.bergenishockey.no
Slovakia has like 60-70 rinks and much better depth than Norway. I think for some reason there just isn’t as much interest in hockey in Norway. If there was, it wouldn’t really be an issue to build a hundred new rinks in Norway, would it?
Slovakia has 84 indoor rinks according to IIHF. About the same population as Norway. Norway 54.
IIHF Member National Association Slovakia

It would definetly make a difference if we had more rinks. And their is a demand for more rinks in Norway, but it comes with a cost. Usually they prioritize to build swimming pools, football filelds, track and field etc., skiing, handball etc. Norway is a multisport nation that competes in many sports, Slovakia and Finland have icehockey as their national sport and don't care about other sports.

WayTooCold

Jun 9, 2023

All the public money in Finland is poured into hockey. Kids get professional training on nutrition, training etc from age 10y. Other sports get nothing. Thus Finland scored 0 medals in 2024 Paris Olympics. No ski jumpers anymore... Even if you are a suck ass hockey player like Aki Berg. You will still make millions from the NHL, KHL, Swiss...

In Norway the public money is spread on skiing, ski jumping, triathlon, track and field. Norway has 10x more resources anyway than Finland.

Vikz

Dec 26, 2021
Slovakia has 84 indoor rinks according to IIHF. About the same population as Norway. Norway 54.
IIHF Member National Association Slovakia

It would definetly make a difference if we had more rinks. And their is a demand for more rinks in Norway, but it comes with a cost. Usually they prioritize to build swimming pools, football filelds, track and field etc., skiing, handball etc. Norway is a multisport nation that competes in many sports, Slovakia and Finland have icehockey as their national sport and don't care about other sports.
And Latvia has 20 rinks, and a medal. Its about the love for the game. Wasn't it just a few years ago when your federation withdrew your national teams from all competitions apart from adult, U-20 and U-18 mens due to lack of funding? I thought you guys have enough of this sweet oil money to build a rink out of compressed 500 euro bills. Yet, you are just not interested enough. :(

Levshunov

May 7, 2022
Minsk, Belarus
Kaz final roster
NO former KHL players.. Dietz, Blacker, Valk , Akolzin, Shevchenko, Nurgaliyev, Sagadeyev, Petukhov, Maklyukov

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
And Latvia has 20 rinks, and a medal. Its about the love for the game. Wasn't it just a few years ago when your federation withdrew your national teams from all competitions apart from adult, U-20 and U-18 mens due to lack of funding? I thought you guys have enough of this sweet oil money to build a rink out of compressed 500 euro bills. Yet, you are just not interested enough. :(
Yeah this a bit of cart before the horse situation. In any case, rinks or no rinks, the primary objective is to facilitate interest in the sport. Starting with building a bunch of rinks is the most expensive way to go about it.

It worked (somehwat, since arenas are still mostly empty) for a country like Belarus which had some interest and a vacuum when it comes to national sport but obviously Norwegians prefer to spend their time differently and are very successful in many of such activities.

Reactions: Vikz

WayTooCold

Jun 9, 2023
In Finland hockey is the only professional sport that actually pays the players enough salary. So they can just focus on playing hockey. They don't need to run social media or look for sponsors.

On other sports athletes have to work, study and look for sponsors. When you win in shot put you might get 100€. Barely enough to cover gas for car. When you are begging for sponsorship money. In USA athletes are from some university programs. Basically professionals. That time is obviously out of training. And the results are being seen. 0 medals for Finland in 2024 Paris Olympics.

Reactions: Faterson

Fjorden

Jan 17, 2021
Bergen, Norway
www.bergenishockey.no
Yeah this a bit of cart before the horse situation. In any case, rinks or no rinks, the primary objective is to facilitate interest in the sport. Starting with building a bunch of rinks is the most expensive way to go about it.

It worked (somehwat, since arenas are still mostly empty) for a country like Belarus which had some interest and a vacuum when it comes to national sport but obviously Norwegians prefer to spend their time differently and are very successful in many of such activities.
Here is what happened with the number of new hockey players in Stavanger, Norway when they built a new double ice rink and a new arena(DnB arena). As you see investing in new facilities increased the number of players in 2013 to 2019 from 73 to 1092. More than 1000% increase by investing in new ice rinks and an arena.
1724340367043.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad