Player Discussion Oliver Kylington

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
I wonder if he was a low cost, high reward option for Colorado before they snagged Brannstrom dirt cheap.

And Avalanche end up with both. Think this could be a good fit style wise for Kylington. Puck moving and transition could lead to good offensive numbers.

Hate to see him on a rival but wish him well.

Reactions: Fig

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Embarrassing we signed Jake Bean over this guy.
I mean, Jake Bean was who they signed AFTER Kylington rejected their offer (which was apparently not a "money issue" but a "contract length issue" where Kylington wanted longer term than what was offered. Ended up taking less money and less term with another team, presumably to play third pair.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
giphy.webp

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Embarrassing we signed Jake Bean over this guy.

Kind of more embarrassing for Oliver who declined the contract we offered Bean, probably even a few dollars more on the table.
This will either be a really good contract for Oliver, or one that ends his tenure in the NHL.

The good:
He carves out a #5 role with the Avs, plays 75+ games, gets deep in the playoffs, shows well, gets a big contract from someone next year 4+ years, 4+ M.

The bad:
Plays like Oliver Kylington outside of a 73 games he played with Chris Tanev 3 years ago. Has a hard time finding a spot in the Avs lineup. Especially post deadline when they push their chips in. Gets only 30-some odd games. Finds himself playing overseas if at all next year.

Master Bill

Rest in peace, Johnny Hockey
Nov 9, 2014
Waiting til the day the loyalty goes both ways between the team and the homegrown players.

Best of luck for Oliver, enjoyed watching him play 2 years ago but he better expect some jeering next time he's in town.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Honestly, I’d take the Avs over the Flames right now too. Probably the best-suited team for him.

Reactions: Roadrage

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I gotta think Kylington will be looking for a new agent in the near future. .. unless saying no to Conroy's 2 yr offer was all Kylington's idea. We'll never know I guess.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Honestly, I’d take the Avs over the Flames right now too. Probably the best-suited team for him.
He certainly won't be getting the ice time that he would have if he'd taken the deal Conroy offered him.

Reactions: joescores

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Why? I kinda feel sorry for him more than anything. He screwed himself
Whether he screwed himself or not remains to be seen, to be honest. If he plays decently this year (like a reliable #4 or better) his next contract may actually result in a net win vs. taking a 2-4 year deal after this last stretch.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Whether he screwed himself or not remains to be seen, to be honest. If he plays decently this year (like a reliable #4 or better) his next contract may actually result in a net win vs. taking a 2-4 year deal after this last stretch.

He's gotta hope for some big time injuries in Denver.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
It could be that this does result in a better long-term pay day for him yes. There is a lot of risk for him on a 1 year deal as well, though.

Firstly it isn't a given he will be an "every night" player in Colorado, and even if he is, he is going to need a much better showing than what he did in the 30 or so games he played this year. Anything resembling that will result in PTO/Europe territory.

A 2 year deal with the Flames (unknown AAV aside) carries the upside of being twice as long, and more importantly an essentially guaranteed spot in the top 4 every night.

It's hard to look at this outcome objectively and surmise this is the path of least risk.

Reactions: joescores and Rubi

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Byram wasn't going to move up that d-depth chart. Kylington isn't.

SportsdudeRy

Jun 28, 2024
Why? I kinda feel sorry for him more than anything. He screwed himself
I heard a sports talk show discussing if Kylington should be booed. They were saying Kylington didn’t want to be with the Flames and after all that the Flames did for him being patient with him.

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I heard a sports talk show discussing if Kylington should be booed. They were saying Kylington didn’t want to be with the Flames and after all that the Flames did for him being patient with him.
Ok, he is so irrelevant not worth booing …imo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad