Player Discussion Oliver Kylington

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I’m wondering if he has a 4-year deal on the table from a Swedish team or something. That’s the only reason he went to market imo

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
On today's Barn Burner Ryan Pinder said he was told that Kylington had been offered a two year deal.

Kylington talk starts at 22:25 of today's BB broadcast...

Last edited:
Reactions: Tofveve

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I still have hope they can get a deal done because our left side without him is truly a horror. Not sure what the pairings will be or if Weegar will prefer to remain at LD. We're going to be bad but playing the likes of Joel Hanley and Brayden Pachal for more than 40 games or Bean/Bahl in the top 4 is going to be hell on Vladar and Wolf. Losings fine but getting blown out every other game can really hinder a young NHL player's development.

But big picture it's likely not a huge deal if he goes elsewhere with the amount of blueline prospects we've acquired in the last year. I've seen some top pairing quality games out of Kylington but I've also seen quite a few barely worth bottom pairing money. If he had a two year deal on the table from the Flames and doesn't want to take it I have to believe he's getting some poor advice from his agent. He's had one nice season paired with one of the most technically proficient defensive dmen in the game, and that was two years ago now.

Reactions: Tofveve

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Nah, I am good with being horrible this year and next. Kylington won’t make one bit difference

Reactions: Number 39

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Trying to nickel and dime him, because ownership believe he was paid money already for his services, makes no sense. That was a decision by management. It’s a sunk cost that has already been paid. Absolutely stupid to lose a second pair D because of pettiness. But not surprising when you consider Murray Edwards’ history.

It would be kinda funny if Treliving snapped him up to play with Tanev but I’m not sure he’s that smart.
What’s the evidence that the Flames have “nickel and dimed him” here?

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Trying to nickel and dime him, because ownership believe he was paid money already for his services, makes no sense. That was a decision by management. It’s a sunk cost that has already been paid. Absolutely stupid to lose a second pair D because of pettiness. But not surprising when you consider Murray Edwards’ history.

It would be kinda funny if Treliving snapped him up to play with Tanev but I’m not sure he’s that smart.

Who is the second pairing Dman we're losing? Because if you think Kylington can fill that role without Tanev or someone like him to babysit him I don't know what to tell you.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah... Its crazy. This is all business. Flames offered 2 years, Kylington bet on getting more in free agency and lost. Its that simple.
Well maybe, probably. He might find 3 years if his AAV is low enough. At this point I feel the 2x2 ballpark seems likely wherever he signs

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Today is day 19 of free agency and Oliver Kylington is still unsigned. By anyone.
Was anybody expecting this? I certainly wasn't.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Today is day 19 of free agency and Oliver Kylington is still unsigned. By anyone.
After the first 3-4 days, teams tend to start to focus on RFAs and arbitration cases before adding more UFAs

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
While I was initially slightly surprised he didn't sign here for 2 years, I am not surprised he hasn't signed anywhere in FA. Every GM in the league is looking at his prior 2 years and not wanting to take the risk, especially given the mediocre showing upon returning.

On the other side of the coin, the Flames is one of the few teams where he has a realistic shot at playing top 4 minutes.

So I wouldn't be surprised if he has a couple offers which are relatively underwhelming compared to the Flames initial offer.

Reactions: Janks

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
I kind of suspect that this is more about him deliberating on whether he'll continue his NHL career at all, rather than the typical free agent business of going after the big bucks. Honestly I wouldn't be that shocked to see him retire or sign in Sweden after the last couple of years he's had.

Reactions: Fig and Mobiandi

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

It has been reported, however, that Kylington believed he would get a bigger deal from another team. Supposedly, at least one team offered him a relatively long-term deal, but wound up backing out for unknown reasons. That has clearly hurt, as he now continues to wait on the open market with no new deal in sight.
His "error" was circling back to Calgary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad