Prospect Info: Oliver Kapanen, RHC, KalPa U20 (U20 SM-sarja), 64th Overall

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Oliver Kapanen with one assist through 6 games...should he really he here or would he be better off in Europe? His lack of production won't help his confidence

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Habs need a vet 1RD and a vet 1C to contend as always.

I agree he looked good but will his confidence wane if after 12 games he has one assist and is a minus 9?
Dunno… Dach got so much light on him rn everyone probably feels rather safe! Seems like a nice opportunity for the kid; he’s prob in over his head for sure.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Oliver Kapanen with one assist through 6 games...should he really he here or would he be better off in Europe? His lack of production won't help his confidence
He was playing on the 4th line with Heineman and the ghost of Dvorak who only has one assist too.
Kapane haven't been put in a role to produce offensively.

Reactions: Yasuo

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
He is a rookie. I think folks have really high expectations.

Not every rookie is going to come in and burn villages. I feel like we forget that kids need nhl reps at some point, and not every rookie season will be something to talk about it.

For me the biggest thing is that he needs to get stronger. He seems to have a good understanding of the game and doesn't look out place pace wise. He just can't create space and defend space physically right now. But again, he needs to experience the nhl game.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I saw a little of him last night and thought he looked better then the little i've seen of him from earlier on. I've tried to catch more Habs games this year due to Hutson and Kapanen but when I try I just end up trying the game off as they are still very tough to watch but I really need to see more of him.

Reactions: Andy

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I saw a little of him last night and thought he looked better then the little i've seen of him from earlier on. I've tried to catch more Habs games this year due to Hutson and Kapanen but when I try I just end up trying the game off as they are still very tough to watch but I really need to see more of him.
I find the biggest issue right now is that he just isn't strong enough to win puck battles and defend whatever space he finds himself in.

He's still a kid and it shows.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002

He's here for 9 games IMO

Going home with a big check and valuable experience. Him and Beck must not be rushed and become 4th liners.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I find the biggest issue right now is that he just isn't strong enough to win puck battles and defend whatever space he finds himself in.

He's still a kid and it shows.

the speed/skating/strength all look like issues so far but I just haven't been able to watch the Habs much. I thought for sure he would be in the SHL by now, though if Laine doesn't get injured who knows as you don't want him to get Pezzetta's press box seat since of course he has to play if your plan was to keep him (before Laine injury)

I hate seeing them rush kids to the NHL so I hope it's not the case here.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
the speed/skating/strength all look like issues so far but I just haven't been able to watch the Habs much. I thought for sure he would be in the SHL by now, though if Laine doesn't get injured who knows as you don't want him to get Pezzetta's press box seat since of course he has to play if your plan was to keep him (before Laine injury)

I hate seeing them rush kids to the NHL so I hope it's not the case here.
Speed or skating hasn't looked problematic, at least to me.

He just gets knocked off the puck very easily. Doesn't have the strength to win board battles or 50/50 pucks. He's tried a few times to cut into the middle of the ice and is just immediately halted because he's so light.

I find his positioning and pace to be fine for a rookie.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
I see some poise in Kapanen's game which I can really appreciate. Some things are clicking a bit, but I'd like to see him get stronger and more aggressive. He's not less effective than some of our other players and I think he should be able to learn and improve on the go in the NHL.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I really hope Kapanen stays in Montreal all season. Yes stats wise when you look, nothing sticks out yet BUT in the few games I have watched, I always notice him. I truly feel some luck will come his way soon and he will start chipping in with some points soon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad