Prospect Info: Oliver Kapanen, RHC, KalPa U20 (U20 SM-sarja), 64th Overall

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
Kapanen will be 10x the player Heineman will ever be because of his smarts alone. He will be used in any situation you want. Everyone keeps believing we are fleecing other teams with these moves, like the other GM's are stupid. Guys like Barron and Heineman are just spare parts, teams are fully aware of what they are moving.

We accidentally fleeced Vegas by taking Suzuki instead of Glass (Who Bergy really wanted) , is that the last time this happened here?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Kapanen will be 10x the player Heineman will ever be because of his smarts alone. He will be used in any situation you want. Everyone keeps believing we are fleecing other teams with these moves, like the other GM's are stupid. Guys like Barron and Heineman are just spare parts, teams are fully aware of what they are moving.

We accidentally fleeced Vegas by taking Suzuki instead of Glass (Who Bergy really wanted) , is that the last time this happened here?
I know it wasn't a trade, but Montembeault comes to mind. Also, it's too early to release a final report on Barron.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
It's NHL or Sweden, unless he spend 60 days on the NHL active roster (injured time do not count). Habs aren't going to keep Kapanen 60 days sitting in the stand just to send him to the AHL.
I 100% agree with you, but the post i was commenting on had a mention that the possibility was there, whereas everything else i've heard was that there wasnt a possibility.

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
im surprised by this - everything i've seen on the subject said that for Kapanen it's NHL or sweden.
It's NHL or Sweden, unless he spend 60 days on the NHL active roster (injured time do not count). Habs aren't going to keep Kapanen 60 days sitting in the stand just to send him to the AHL.

I seem to recall Heineman going through this in his first year over here, but a difference was he was injured through those first months which is why he probably flies under the radar a bit.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Those 60 days line up well with Laine's possible return to the lineup. Kapanen has a couple of months to show he belongs in the NHL. If not, he will probably be the odd man out and sent to the AHL when Laine's back (depending on other injuries, of course).

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Barron and Heinman weren't the only acquisitions in their trades. Hughes has moved the team ahead with almost every trade he has made. And any trade that hasn't helped a lot was because a player needed to moved to start cleaning up the MB disaster.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
We can only hope he's as good as Lehkonen. I'd hate to see him just be on the roster to keep him in NA.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I seem to recall Heineman going through this in his first year over here, but a difference was he was injured through those first months which is why he probably flies under the radar a bit.
It was mentioned back then with Heineman (but he was injured which does not count) and I brought it up once or twice for Kapanen, but it is very unlikely the Habs are keeping Kapanen around just to send him down to the AHL in 2 months.

Reactions: badfish

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
If he's actually playing then goes down when Laine is back it's whatever. Obviously if he's in the AHL he can be called back up, where as the Europe loan is for the entire season.
Healthy Laine and Roy bounces back, I still expect Heinemann and ABB to be cut. Kapanen is level above them, unless he struggles heavily, he stays in NHL.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Kapanen will be 10x the player Heineman will ever be because of his smarts alone. He will be used in any situation you want. Everyone keeps believing we are fleecing other teams with these moves, like the other GM's are stupid.

Do they?

I don't recall much, if any, talk about "fleecing" other teams.

The Lekhonen, Toffoli & Chiarot trades were pretty typical deadline deals of vets/expiring contracts traded for futures. The trade values in each were well within range of expectations , if a little favorable to Mtl at thet ime.

Guys like Barron and Heineman are just spare parts, teams are fully aware of what they are moving.
They were D2 prospects... A former late 1st and mid 2nd. Yes, most teams have D2 prospects, no, most teams do not have definitive assessments on wether or not those prospects will hit their ceilings or are just "spare parts"

They are assets, moved if the right opportunity arises, held on to if not... Even at the risk of eventually losing them to waivers.

Don't you think the Flames or Pens or Oilers would, in hindsight, have traded the likes of Poulin, Pelletier or Lavoie to bolster their rosters & playoff depth in their respective D2 seasons of they "knew" they would just end up on waivers a few years later?

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

Kapanen will, at the very least, play NHL games as part of a rotation until then, and there is a distinct possibility that he grabs a spot full time.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I know it wasn't a trade, but Montembeault comes to mind. Also, it's too early to release a final report on Barron.
It's too early to release the final report on anything KH has done which is why you should always give around 5 years to a GM before doing the first evaluation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad