Prospect Info: Oliver Kapanen, RHC, KalPa U20 (U20 SM-sarja), 64th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Tyson, you will learn better if you spend more time in the minor league*
You needs to learn to be a better person and to get more character before coming back here. My friend Therrien will take care of you for a while ...

What is a mystery for me is why the mod didn't make the opposite sanction ; Can't post yourself but only can acknowledge anyone else's posts ? :badidea::dunno:
Shouldn't be losing ability to like posts after one infraction.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
there's a spot for him now if he keeps up his play
Heineman might have a role long term. But I think with Laine being out, we need someone with more awareness.

It's early in camp for Kapanen. I look forward to seeing how he looks in the remaining games.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He has a legitimate shot now.. I would expect him to get the Sens game and if he can cease it, he'll get in the rotation to be next to Dach and Newhook.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He has a legitimate shot now.. I would expect him to get the Sens game and if he can cease it, he'll get in the rotation to be next to Dach and Newhook.
If we keep him we need to play him and the further up the ladder the better. I'd not hesitate to use him on a wing in our top six at this point.
Actually for all the accolades Roy gets for his IQ which I do like I think Oliver's is just a good or even better.
If all goes well the idea would be to bump him another notch later in the season.
Playing top prospects with Suzuki hasn't failed us yet. The idea of course is to give him that 3rd C role by TDL.
Bottom line he is a player who won't hurt us on the D side and given our poor talent quotient up front he is an option IMO.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
If we keep him we need to play him and the further up the ladder the better. I'd not hesitate to use him on a wing in our top six at this point.
Actually for all the accolades Roy gets for his IQ which I do like I think Oliver's is just a good or even better.
If all goes well the idea would be to bump him another notch later in the season.
Playing top prospects with Suzuki hasn't failed us yet. The idea of course is to give him that 3rd C role by TDL.
Bottom line he is a player who won't hurt us on the D side and given our poor talent quotient up front he is an option IMO.
Interesting idea...at 6'1 195 he isn't small and could easily play with Caufield and Suzuki skill wise. Put Slaf with Dach and Newhook and that might just work.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
Interesting idea...at 6'1 195 he isn't small and could easily play with Caufield and Suzuki skill wise. Put Slaf with Dach and Newhook and that might just work.
I think he’s an intriguing prospect but suggesting he can easily play with Caufield and Suzuki “skill wise” feels absurd to me.
Extremely overrating IMO. I could be wrong but I feel like if he becomes a good third line C, that’s a win.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I would like to see this tried at some point. But I think it would take the first line going cold for it to be the right time.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
We will see.

I agree Evans is having the edge for the role on the short term.

On the other hand, as good of a story Kapanen is right now, he will be in his D+5 next year. I don't think we should expect more than a bottom sixer.

Agree. A big year ahead for him.

Let's not forget next year is his D+5 tho

Is repeating "D+5" your way of suggesting that he has limited upside? Another more practical way to look at it is that he just turned 21 two months ago. Still very young and has been on an upward development curve. If you want to talk about draft years, his D and D+1 year were impacted by covid lockdowns and he's shown some dramatic improvement over his D+2/D+3 years. We'll see what he can do as he enters his D+4 year. If he stagnates/regresses this year, then we can talk about how he might have limited upside heading into his D+5 year.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I would like to see this tried at some point. But I think it would take the first line going cold for it to be the right time.
I don't know if the solution is in the room but I would keep Kapanen around now that Laine appears out for a good while.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Well I had it a bit different I would us Caufield/Dach/Kap to start with and I don't think taking Slaf off Suzuki's flank is a great idea.
I like the progress he's made beside the Captain and still think he has more to learn details wise.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I think he’s an intriguing prospect but suggesting he can easily play with Caufield and Suzuki “skill wise” feels absurd to me.
Extremely overrating IMO. I could be wrong but I feel like if he becomes a good third line C, that’s a win.
It is. The idea is to try things while we are still in a certain mode. We will probably start him on the wing on 4 like we did Suzuki.
It didn't take Nick long to end up displacing Domi at center later that season. I'd prefer he start on 3 at the very least.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Yes and Vinnie L followed up a 67 point D+2 with 51 points and then 37 in D+4 before hitting 78 the next year. Look at Laffy this past season at D+4 finally hitting decent points many expected in year 1. And these guys 1st OA. Kapanen is developing great.

I see Suzuki certainly being a PPG guy, but don't know about 100 point plus guy. We may not have 50 goal guys. Look at the Oil and Panthers and they each had a 50 plus goal guy and one had a 40 plus and the other a 30 plus, and each in total had 5 guys scoring at least 20. That's it. Five guys. ( So stop sneering at Newhook who looks like he should be able to score 20, not many NHL ers can ).

Our thing might be to have 3 offensively tilted lines. Maybe no 50 goal sniper but maybe a 40 and a 30 and have 6 or 7 guys with at least 20. In that case we need a 3C with some decent offensive ability. To me Kapanen and Beck show promise in that regard. Both have to play this year though. Beck for sure in AHL with call ups, and Kapanen back in SHL makes sense. Now if he will play 2nd line minutes here as a wing, but get minutes in as a C regularly enough then that also makes sense. His development is no.1 , not standings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad