Prospect Info: Oliver Kapanen, RHC, KalPa U20 (U20 SM-sarja), 64th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Olli Jokinen said he was ready for the NHL. It may end up being that he is ready but there are simply too many one way contracts blocking him.
It was only one game, but Kapanen showed that he has what it takes to not only make the NHL, but be an impactful player. Unless he falters mightily over the remaining exhibition games, Kapanen makes this team out of camp. Hughes will do what is necessary to clear roster space.

What should be exciting for most of us is that there maybe other 'surprises' coming out of this preseason that will alter Hughes' near term calculus about the composition of his roster. As I previously noted, you can see the elements of the team that Hughes is constructing: young, fast, big and skilled. Most players (current or prospective) that don't fit that mold will not be here. There will always be room for the ultra talented smaller player (Caufield, Lane, etc.) but the future construction of the team can be seen in the wave of young players that are rising in the team's depth chart: Slafkovsky, Dach, Florian, Tuch, Thorpe, Sawyer, etc. All big players who can skate. And, more importantly, play big.

These are not your father's and grandfather's Canadiens. The rest of the league knows this. Or will soon find out.

This will be very interesting.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
It was only one game, but Kapanen showed that he has what it takes to not only make the NHL, but be an impactful player. Unless he falters mightily over the remaining exhibition games, Kapanen makes this team out of camp. Hughes will do what is necessary to clear roster space.

What should be exciting for most of us is that there maybe other 'surprises' coming out of this preseason that will alter Hughes' near term calculus about the composition of his roster. As I previously noted, you can see the elements of the team that Hughes is constructing: young, fast, big and skilled. Most players (current or prospective) that don't fit that mold will not be here. There will always be room for the ultra talented smaller player (Caufield, Lane, etc.) but the future construction of the team can be seen in the wave of young players that are rising in the team's depth chart: Slafkovsky, Dach, Florian, Tuch, Thorpe, Sawyer, etc. All big players who can skate. And, more importantly, play big.

These are not your father's and grandfather's Canadiens. The rest of the league knows this. Or will soon find out.

Well said sir. I would have hit the "like" button but I seem to have lost that privilege!

Reactions: Tanknation

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
There is no way they send him back to Europe with the message: "Thanks for coming, you were great, but we do not have a spot for you."
He will probably play couple more games, but if he keeps the level he showed yesterday, he earns the spot. Then Hughes will probably look to trade one of Dvorak, Evans, Pezzetta, maybe Anderson if possible.
My bet would be, HuGo trade Dvorak at 50% retained for 3rd pick.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Bobby Holik agent

erudite free agency sci-fi
Oct 17, 2002
Montreal
Can we test him for 15 games in the NHL & then send him back to Sweden if he's mid or worse?
How does it work with Sweden as a NHL tryout compare to say the 10 games tryout with CHL players.

Last edited:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'd like to see him centering a line with actual NHLers now ( both ABB and Heineman have some NHL experience, but you know what I mean), just to see what he can do in that setting. Sure looks real promising.

Reactions: rickthegoon

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Finally, the habs may have a couple of forwards, who push the others out............this kid Kapanen certainly had a very nice outing last night......along with a couple of the other youngsters. It was a preseason Flyers team, that was less than stellar, but a good night for many.

Good times ahead guys....

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
At worse, no problem in keeping him as 13F and rotate him with Evans/Dvo. He would play 50 ish games in Finland so I don’t see a problem with him not playing all the games to start.

Reactions: habsfan44

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Getting a players value up is one of the most over rated notions in hockey.
Showcasing a player is nothing more than showing they aren't injured and don't have any flat tires.
If scouts and GM's don't know who Evans or Dvorak are already they are in the wrong business.
Well we already know that many of them are in the wrong business... There even a bunch of people here that were hoping to give Armia away had Domi ahead of Danault... Recency bias is strong as hell in the NHL remember when we got a 1st for taken Monahan 1 year contract and traded him for a 1st and now he just got a 5x5.5M$ contract... Pretty sure there also a few GM that are going to wonder why they didn't take a 2nd or less for Laine. Someone was willing to give a 1st +2nd for Dvorak not sure you get more than a 4th ealier in the off season, Tatar was traded for 1st,2nd and 3rd and was a cap dump within 1 year there plenty of exemple going both way... You can showcase a player but if he actaully performs/ put up points it going to help regarless, Not saying that it changes completly but anytime a player is performing you get more team interrested and better value. The issue is that most player that are showcased don't perform enough to move the needle.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
1727182290130.png

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I missed the post-game stuff. Did anyone happen to see if Marty commented on his game? Doubt there was a full blown presser for an exhibitition game but did Marty speak?

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
It's getting really crowded... I hate that we may have to pass on trying forwards that actually have potential just because we're stuck with washed vets. Hughes should do every thing he can to dump at least 4 of Pezz, Evans, Anderson, Dvorak, RHP as soon as possible. Barré-Boulet to the AHL, possible call-up. Not a fan of this signing but whatever.

Heineman, Tuch and Kapanen should get looks, Beck is pretty much a lock for the near-future, then you have guys like Kidney, Davidson, Farrell, plus prospects like Hage, Thorpe, Sawyer. We really can't f*** around waiting for this deadwood to finish their contracts. Get them out of this team ASAP.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Guys from ‘’tout sur le hockey’’ who are supposed to watch prospects by the way, were practically saying Kapanen shouldn’t be offered a contract before he signed and were trying to call out and be sarcastic at McCagg because he was saying Kapanen was a legit prospect.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
At worse, no problem in keeping him as 13F and rotate him with Evans/Dvo. He would play 50 ish games in Finland so I don’t see a problem with him not playing all the games to start.

He can also play wing. Plekanec first made the team as 4c. But as his offense started to show, he was moved up the lineup as a winger, and then eventually earned the 2c spot.

Edit: And Danault, Suzuki, and Dach all were used on the wing when they were first emerging.

@Redux91 still think it's funny that Kapanen COULD put himself in the mix for the spot next to Dach and Laine. LMAO @ you.

Last edited:
Reactions: KFlint

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Kapanen is the only one we should have any urgency on, because one he looks the best and two he won’t go to laval

the rest are fine in the ahl lol
Yeah I'm in this camp too.. I get that he/a lot of other guys had good games but let's pump the brakes on doing all of this 'ASAP'.

Hutson/Kapanen are the closest right now. Make room for them, and then see how it plays out for the first little bit.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
It's getting really crowded... I hate that we may have to pass on trying forwards that actually have potential just because we're stuck with washed vets. Hughes should do every thing he can to dump at least 4 of Pezz, Evans, Anderson, Dvorak, RHP as soon as possible. Barré-Boulet to the AHL, possible call-up. Not a fan of this signing but whatever.

Heineman, Tuch and Kapanen should get looks, Beck is pretty much a lock for the near-future, then you have guys like Kidney, Davidson, Farrell, plus prospects like Hage, Thorpe, Sawyer. We really can't f*** around waiting for this deadwood to finish their contracts. Get them out of this team ASAP.
Let's keep in mind this was the Flyers C squad. Let's wait a little longer before sending off some vets to Siberia

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Kapanen is the only one we should have any urgency on, because one he looks the best and two he won’t go to laval

the rest are fine in the ahl lol
I wonder if he makes the team but then down the line struggles, if he'd accept a stint in Laval, like Xhekaj had last year.

Last edited:

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Only Hage, Kapanen and probably Beck can be pencilled in futur lineups as of now, I think. If Kapanen ends up better than Beck maybe Beck won’t be here long term.

ginomini

May 25, 2014
He can also play wing. Plekanec first made the team as 4c. But as his offense started to show, he was moved up the lineup as a winger, and then eventually earned the 2c spot.

@Redux91 still think it's funny that Kapanen COULD put himself in the mix for the spot next to Dach and Laine. LMAO @ you.
Same thing for Danault and Suzuki

Reactions: 26Mats

KFlint

Sep 27, 2010
Only Hage, Kapanen and probably Beck can be pencilled in futur lineups as of now, I think. If Kapanen ends up better than Beck maybe Beck won’t be here long term.
Well Beck seems like a perfect 4th C in the making that can chip in on the 3rd. Kapanen isn’t a 4C so… Having too many C is a good thing anyway.

Reactions: Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
So what happens if Silky plays this way throughout?
I mean people still have him going back at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad