Prospect Info: Oliver Kapanen, RHC, KalPa U20 (U20 SM-sarja), 64th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Yeah I think evans would go early. Not dvo. Dvo can show much better by tdl. Evans is what he is. If kap forces the issue then Evans might go now. Maybe for a second to a team with injury troubles to depth d at camp
Sorry depth c I meant

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
Let Kapanen played 8-10 regular NHL games. If he clearly showed he is a better player than Dvorak then try to trade Dvorak. If there was no taker, waive him. I really believed we should ice the best team. Some of us were talking about getting assets for Dvorak, we have plenty of draft picks already. Who care about an extra 3rd/4th round pick.

RandR

May 15, 2011
Is anyone listening to and believing Bettman's denials regarding expansion?
I doubt that Bettman has any intention of expanding for the foreseeable future. The league went something like 17 years without any expansion and after adding 2 teams they now have an east-west balance they’ve been craving for decades (remember how long Detroit was in the West?) and without the embarrassment of the Coyotes situation hanging over their heads. I haven’t been following the machinations of what the players union or league hope to address from the next collective agreement; however, I don’t believe the possibility of expansion fees becoming shared revenue is enough to push the next expansion into the next 2 years. If anything, if the players are going to make it a major point of negotiation then the league will simply negotiate that against something they want.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Kapanen should absolutely go back to Sweden for another year. Play 20+ minutes a night in a good league and be ready for NHL duty next year after we've moved on from a couple more vets. Trust the process :)

I think we can see him play more preseason games before we come to definitive conclusions.

Bobby Holik agent

erudite free agency sci-fi
Oct 17, 2002
Montreal
My 4th line as long as we're bottom10 is a revolving door.
Im throwing shit at the wall to see what stick.
kappa kappa hut3.jpg

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
TBH can’t even say if he is ready. One game against Philly C team isn’t the bar to judge if the kid is ready. We will have a better understanding as the games get more physical and the lineups somewhat reflect an NHL team.
Give him couple more games against better opponents and we will see, but I do not expect him to dissapear. He was strong in scrimmages, dominant vs. Philly. His progress boosted D+2 season when he made Liiga team. It was slowed down last offseason when had this mandatory military service, so he missed a lot on-ice training during the summer. It took him couple months, but he was PPG in 2nd half of Liiga, playoffs and World Champs. Obviously, he is very well prepared for upcoming season.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Give him couple more games against better opponents and we will see, but I do not expect him to dissapear. He was strong in scrimmages, dominant vs. Philly. His progress boosted D+2 season when he made Liiga team. It was slowed down last offseason when had this mandatory military service, so he missed a lot on-ice training during the summer. It took him couple months, but he was PPG in 2nd half of Liiga, playoffs and World Champs. Obviously, he is very well prepared for upcoming season.

I agree Kapanen looks ready, as Lehkonen did at the same age. From a culture point of view, giving Oliver the place he has earned in his D+4, like we gave Lehkonen, and like we gave Suzuki in his D+3, is motivating for all the prospects and the enthusiastic young core.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Another point is that I think his Swedish league seasons are only 50 something games long. Even if he starts out as the 13th forward. He should be able to get into 50 something games here in Montreal based on injuries alone. Hard to see us not have at least 50 man games lost at forward. Plus there are the games after the deadline when Armia and Dvorak will likely not still be here.

That makes me think he makes the team even without moving Dvorak or Armia.

Makes more sense to start Armia as 13th forward than Barron, Struble, Mailloux, or Reinbacher as 8th D, imo.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Definitely the surprise of the camp for the casual observer like myself, does give lehky vibes in terms of what he may become but we're going to need some of these 2nd and 3rd round picks to hit if we're gonna keep taking steps

Reactions: 26Mats

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I think we can see him play more preseason games before we come to definitive conclusions.
Unless they can trade Dvorak, I think the best option is for him to go back to Europe and play a prominent role there while allowing Roy to show what he can do.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Let Kapanen played 8-10 regular NHL games. If he clearly showed he is a better player than Dvorak then try to trade Dvorak. If there was no taker, waive him. I really believed we should ice the best team. Some of us were talking about getting assets for Dvorak, we have plenty of draft picks already. Who care about an extra 3rd/4th round pick.
I agree, if we could hold out for a second maybe, but for a third or fourth not worth it "if" Kapanen is ready.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Another point is that I think his Swedish league seasons are only 50 something games long. Even if he starts out as the 13th forward. He should be able to get into 50 something games here in Montreal based on injuries alone. Hard to see us not have at least 50 man games lost at forward. Plus there are the games after the deadline when Armia and Dvorak will likely not still be here.

That makes me think he makes the team even without moving Dvorak or Armia.

Makes more sense to start Armia as 13th forward than Barron, Struble, Mailloux, or Reinbacher as 8th D, imo.
Armia won't start as 13th forward. He is a vet on a contract year. He also played great hockey last season.

Is also only pre season game. I would like to see him play against strong team.

Reactions: SlafySZN

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Let's not forget that a vet like Armia was sent down to the A at the beginning of last season. If Kapanen deserves a spot, I'm sure they will make one for him, whether that is Dvorak's spot or anyone else.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Armia won't start as 13th forward. He is a vet on a contract year. He also played great hockey last season.

Is also only pre season game. I would like to see him play against strong team.
Kapanen might start as 13th forward, is what I was saying.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Hope he makes the team next year
Why not this year?

It is interesting that by the end of this camp, we could know our top 9 for next year:

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Laine - Dach - Demidov
Kapanen - Newhook - Roy
Anderson - ________ - Gallagher

Reactions: LaP

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Why not this year?

It is interesting that by the end of this camp, we could know our top 9 for next year:

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Laine - Dach - Demidov
Kapanen - Newhook - Roy
Anderson - ________ - Gallagher
They will need to make a trade before the season starts to keep him , Id rather him not be the 13th forward. Since its euro or NA for him its not like he can come over at the deadline

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Unless they can trade Dvorak, I think the best option is for him to go back to Europe and play a prominent role there while allowing Roy to show what he can do.
Why don't we keep Kapanen here and let Roy go to Sweden to get a "prominent role"? Or maybe Hutson to Kloten?

Armia was 4th in goals scored, playing only 66 games. The least of our problems.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Why don't we keep Kapanen here and let Roy go to Sweden to get a "prominent role"? Or maybe Hutson to Kloten?

Armia was 4th in goals scored, playing only 66 games. The least of our problems.
You’re assuming based on one game that Kapanen is better. If they’re both playing prominent roles, is that not better? I’d rather Kapanen round out his game as a first line centre playing big minutes this year. Then, imagine what we’ll get next season. Plus, if Roy has success, it’s a huge win.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
You’re assuming based on one game that Kapanen is better. If they’re both playing prominent roles, is that not better? I’d rather Kapanen round out his game as a first line centre playing big minutes this year. Then, imagine what we’ll get next season. Plus, if Roy has success, it’s a huge win.
I'm judging, not "assuming", that Kapanen is in our top 12-13 forwards. Not based on one game, but the entire training camp, World Championship, WJC, Liiga playoff, and 2nd half of last season. For nine months he has successfully rounded out his game.

If Kapanen is as good in the next week as he was the last 9 months, he would have no more need to get "1st line reps" in a weaker league than Roy or Hutson do.

Can you imagine when Suzuki made the squad as a 4th line winger, if instead we sent him to Europe to get "1st line reps" somewhere? Even if his Dad was the GM there, it would make no sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad