Prospect Info: Oliver Kapanen, RHC, KalPa U20 (U20 SM-sarja), 64th Overall

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Olli Jokinen (yes the ex NHL’er) is stepping away from head coach of Jukurit and will now coach Timra. I am posting this info in our prospects thread because Timra is the team Kapanen is rumoured to join (GM is his dad).

Jukurit is also where Konsta Helenius played this year and he had a heck of a 17yr old season. Hopefully he can develop Kapanen’s skills further
Isn t there a risk Kapanen does not sign with the Habs if he goes back to Liiga next year ?

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
When is the last time a Euro player pulled a NCAA player move?

And it's not Liiga he might be going next season, Timra is a SHL team.

Sorry meant back to Europe ! But I don t see why he would not pull it : he would be officially a free agent, it would be his right to do so.

skidcells

May 11, 2023
They can sign him to an ELC and he can go back to LIIGA or SHL.

I don't think there's any risk of him not signing with us.
If that’s the plan then it should be announced shortly that he has signed with us and that he has an out close (either makes nhl team or returns to SHL).

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Olli Jokinen (yes the ex NHL’er) is stepping away from head coach of Jukurit and will now coach Timra. I am posting this info in our prospects thread because Timra is the team Kapanen is rumoured to join (GM is his dad).

Jukurit is also where Konsta Helenius played this year and he had a heck of a 17yr old season. Hopefully he can develop Kapanen’s skills further

It is impossible for me not to think of this meme when I see his name.

nhl-hockey.gif

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I remember him... not being very appreciated by his teammates. Rumors were that he was kinda of a ass... wonder what kind of coach he makes.
He made a ton of money for being a highly touted prospect and accomplishing very little as a pro in the end, although he did have a very long and productive career all things considered ( 1000+ games in the NHL, 700+ points). He wins at life I guess, if nothing else :dunno:

Reactions: themilosh

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Hype

*best goalscrer of the playoffs with 7 goals, can he keep it up?*

Kapanen's our most underrated prospect. I think he'll have a long career in the NHL. He won't bring the same level offensive production he's been impressively bringing to his playoffs but he skates well, is versatile, wins face-offs, does all the little things and plays a mature game. Coaches love his type.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Good news that Habs will sign him. It probably means he will be at camp and if he doesn't crack the Habs line-up, they'd have to loan him to Timra.

Now let's hope he won't suffer the same fate as Norlinder and Heineman (one year was Norlinder and the next year it was Heineman). They were both signed to their ELCs, but had the European clause. However, they both got hurt at camp and stayed here for their rehab. And once they were cleared, they were loaned to their respective European club.

Norlinder had been cleared and loaned to Frolunda in December.
Heineman had been cleared and loaned to Leksand in November.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Good news that Habs will sign him. It probably means he will be at camp and if he doesn't crack the Habs line-up, they'd have to loan him to Timra.

Now let's hope he won't suffer the same fate as Norlinder and Heineman (one year was Norlinder and the next year it was Heineman). They were both signed to their ELCs, but had the European clause. However, they both got hurt at camp and stayed here for their rehab. And once they were cleared, they were loaned to their respective European club.

Can't wait to see all the talent in our next training camp fighing for an NHL spot!

Featuring:

Roy
Hutson
Reinbacher
Kapanen
Tuch
Engstrom
Mailloux
Beck
Xhekaj
Farrell
Heineman
2 X 1st rounder this year

Can't wait!

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I would think the AHL would be best for his development. I guess the money's that much better in the SHL.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
LOL watching that Kalpa game is hard on the old eyes.
That long shot camera angle is useless and I actually lose the puck with all the frickin' advertisements on the ice.
Even with my glasses on.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
LOL watching that Kalpa game is hard on the old eyes.
That long shot camera angle is useless and I actually lose the puck with all the frickin' advertisements on the ice.
Even with my glasses on.
That's why I stopped watching the Laval Cleveland game...same exact reason.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Kalpa lost 4-1 won't go the the Finals.

Kapanen finish the playoffs with 7-7-14 in 12gp.

Rumor is he will play in Sweden next year if he's cut at camp. Not sure why Kalpa would let him go he's been in their academy for years.

Reactions: Draft

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Kalpa lost 4-1 won't go the the Finals.

Kapanen finish the playoffs with 7-7-14 in 12gp.

Rumor is he will play in Sweden next year if he's cut at camp. Not sure why Kalpa would let him go he's been in their academy for years.

I doubt they want to let him go. He’s gonna play for his old man in a better league which is a good stepping stone towards the NHL.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I doubt they want to let him go. He’s gonna play for his old man in a better league which is a good stepping stone towards the NHL.

He will be at camp since he will be apparently signed to his ELC. And if he doesn't crack the Habs, he will be loaned to Timra. Personally, I'd rather have him in Laval. But at least the SHL is a better league to play in than Liiga.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad