Ole Chant

When is it okay to start Olé Olé Olé chants?

• Never

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • During a blowout

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • With 10 mins left

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • With 5 mins left

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • In last minute of play

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Any point during the game

Votes: 18 34.0%

• Total voters

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Back when I was 13. I thought it was awesome.

When I was 18, I laughed at other team fans for hating it.

When I turned 25, it started to annoy me how the fans would use it pretty much anytime.

35 year old me today, hates it.

1NDhvsH.png

• Haha
Reactions: Habs and PhysicX

Prettyisland

Oct 23, 2017
I think it’s a decent troll in a late 3rd period blow out. I think it matched well with the 2000s teams better… for whatever reason

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Who the hell cares, and why is there an Ole police?

Fans want to chant? Let them chant. This isn't the opera with strict etiquette.

Imagine asking this question anywhere else in the world.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
We need more chants

More fan culture

More unique expressions of support

The Ole chant was only "hated" because we had garbage teams and won by the skin of our teeth, usually due to the goalie stealing the game. It's otherwise perfectly fine.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site

This.

It's such a silly thing. The greatest part about playing in Montreal is the atmosphere and energy in the building, it's what makes it the most special place in the world to watch and play hockey, bar none. Neutering the fans passion is crazy talk.

I wouldn't want it any other way. It doesn't matter when they do it, or how they do it, as long as they continue to do it. While leading or behind matters not to me.

This is from a playoff game against the Bruins, note we're actually trailing in the game, (in a commercial break) it's NOT a victory chant. If this doesn't get your juices flowing, you might need to check your vital signs.

Last edited:

negative77

I love 4th lines
Nov 10, 2014
Norway
This is something I'll never understand. Less chanting? Why? There should be way more chanting! There should be songs about the glory of our team, there should be songs about how the opponents suck, there should be songs about individual players etc.

Coming from Europe and a football background, to me matches in the NHL often seems like they take place in a library. So I think there should be way more Oles, way more fan culture, way more of everything like that.

Reactions: waitin425

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
This is something I'll never understand. Less chanting? Why? There should be way more chanting! There should be songs about the glory of our team, there should be songs about how the opponents suck, there should be songs about individual players etc.

Coming from Europe and a football background, to me matches in the NHL often seems like they take place in a library. So I think there should be way more Oles, way more fan culture, way more of everything like that.
Hard to argue with this. We see glimpses of this in Erupean hockey as well with the drums and chants. Would love that kind of atmosphere in an arena. I'd be drunk the whole game!

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan

My grip with it is that at times it imo be a source of motivation for opponent to comeback and do a big FU to crowd. Kind of like when X player gets booed

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
At some point people started conflating this song with a victory song like Goodbye.

“It’s too early for that!” Wut??

It’s more for whenever the crowd feels like it - of course, it’s unlikely when losing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad