Post-Game Talk: Oilers win 3-2

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Marincin, to me, was outstanding last night, he's noticeable stronger and always looks like he's making the right decisions, I'm completely serious when I say I would start the year pairing Marincin with Fayne.

I see a possibly slightly less offensive version of Andrei Markov, I'm back to being very high on this guy, his decision making is high end.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Wow. Everyone *****es and complains about how the Oilers have too many small, skilled, purely offensive minded forwards (see Gagner, Sam) and now people are complaining about the big, responsible, two way centre that we've all been waiting for?

Draisaitl has played very well so far in the preseason. Points will come eventually, but right now he just needs to play confident and responsible and I think he's done that so far.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Wow. Everyone *****es and complains about how the Oilers have too many small, skilled, purely offensive minded forwards (see Gagner, Sam) and now people are complaining about the big, responsible, two way centre that we've all been waiting for?

Draisaitl has played very well so far in the preseason. Points will come eventually, but right now he just needs to play confident and responsible and I think he's done that so far.

And the fact that it's ridiculous to expect him to start producing right away. He's shown flashes during the games; it'll come eventually.

aki

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site

Looks that way. And they are also complaining about losing the small, skilled, purely offensive minded forward that we were unable to sign because of the CBA provision.

Wow indeed...

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
He's so far only managed an assist and a minus 1. I expected far more. Unless he gets it together fast, he's shown me no reason to keep him in the NHL.

His lack of finishing ability is getting worrisome.

Right? I mean he hasn't even scored a point in a real NHL game yet. BUST.

:help:

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
If you are saying Drai hasn't shown well enough especially after last night, I'm gonna have to accuse you of nothing more them box score watching. He was excellent last night.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If you are saying Drai hasn't shown well enough especially after last night, I'm gonna have to accuse you of nothing more them box score watching. He was excellent last night.

That quick drag snap shot from the blueline off the crossbar had me impressed, I don't know the Dubnyk knew where it was until the "ting"

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Perhaps the problem is that people look at guys like Hall and Yakupov who are highly visible exciting players when they're on and don't understand that Draisaitl is completely different? I don't think he's ever going to be the guy who really jumps off the ice at you, he is much more of a methodical player and about the only thing that will wow you is his passing, but that is easy to over look compared to a guy who will go flying down the ice with speed to make a play. Draisaitl was really really good last night and generated a lot of offence even if he didn't hit the scoresheet. adjust the sights and he could easily have had a couple goals and his passing is pretty ****ing sweet as well. When you're still a teenage it really doesn't matter how big you are you are still going to get pushed around by men at times, but the way this kid plays the game he's going to be highly effective in a couple years no questions asked. He can probably handle himself now, the key is to just not put him in a situation where he might have his confidence destroyed but he seems like a smart enough kid to adjust and even if he can't win every board battle at this stage I think he does enough other things well he can handle himself.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Draisaitl is not going to be scoring **** tons of goals, he will be more of the Jumbo Joe type where they get an amazingly high amount of assists but minimal goals. Draisaitls passing skills and vision are absolutely incredible, throw a finisher like say Eberle on his line and they will combine for a lot. Drai is the player that produces a lot of offensive pressure by opening up space and making tape to tape passes without even thinking about it, just looks like it comes naturally. Once the nerves shake off and he is confident enough in his shot to shoot more often he will score a bunch

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
i wouldn't say i'm underwhelmed by Draisaitl, but i'm certainly a little disappointed. he's certainly not as exciting and will take a little more patience than Bennett.

You mean the same Bennett who has been injured half of training camp? Don't get me wrong, I saw Bennett play and he was impressive with his skills, but he doesn't look ready to be able to handle playing with men in this league for 82 games and stay healthy. Draisaitl's points will come in time.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

This.

His puck management skills last night were superb. Every time he got the puck it went to the right area or player. This skill is extremely rare for players, but from the Oilers only RNH is comparable. This occurred in all 3 zones. Offensively, he was making some filthy passes I needed to shower after watching. His back hand passing (and no look passes) are elite already

Reports of him not cheating are absolutely correct. The intent to be a 3 zone player is there already. He still has positional flaws defensively, but this can coached. The important thing is he is already showing signs of an elite 2 way guy

His skating needs a bit of work. But this preseason I have seen the framework for a potential elite player in the Kopitar mold

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
This.

His skating needs a bit of work. But this preseason I have seen the framework for a potential elite player in the Kopitar mold

Exactly. He has the IQ to be Kopitar, but he's only turning 19 later this month (or whatever). The fact that he can already be defensively responsible is a good sign, my biggest fear was that he was going to be cherry-picking out there.

The one critique from Eakins (and Perron, etc) that makes sense is that he simply doesn't have as much time in the NHL. Every league you advance to, there is an increase in game speed. At junior, he could have the puck on a string for minutes at a time, and that just won't happen here. Once he adjusts to the pace, I think we'll see an improvement.

And regarding systems play, Eakins has outright stated they're looking at players not only in terms of skill and compete level, but on how well they understand the Oilers' systems.

KneeOnKnee

Jun 14, 2007
Alberta
Leon looks ok out there, has the build for nhl, but I think some more polish to his game is required, Arcobello has shown he can play at nhl level, he should be 2nd line centre, but putting Leon with yak on the third line would be a defensive nightmare. Lander if anything is at least defensively responsible.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I'm glad the team is actually finding players that fit the teams makeup and systems then trying to find a coach that matches what was a random gathering of guys.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Leon looks ok out there, has the build for nhl, but I think some more polish to his game is required, Arcobello has shown he can play at nhl level, he should be 2nd line centre, but putting Leon with yak on the third line would be a defensive nightmare. Lander if anything is at least defensively responsible.
Arcobello and Lander have shown nothing this preseason to warrant them making this team

McStanley

Dec 8, 2005
Here are the things that are impressing me so far in these past few games:

1. grit
2. checking
3. defense
4. standing up for teammates
5. going to the net
6. scoring from 3-4th liners
7. pp is looking better
8. They are learning how to break up a cycle

If all of these traits carry over to the start of the season and get better, we will be a good team to watch. Unlike last season.

I like Marancin. Nurse is almost ready. It would be great to be able to shelter Drai in the nhl. Give him a game here or there, then make him sit and watch from above for a few games - proper development. Unfortunately he will be thrown in with the wolves. Hopefully he has some success early on so that he can build on it.

Pinizotto and Joensuu remind me of when we had Brodziak and Glencross on our fourth line. They had high energy and could get a goal here and there and had size to not get pushed around.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
It would be great to be able to shelter Drai in the nhl. Give him a game here or there, then make him sit and watch from above for a few games - proper development. Unfortunately he will be thrown in with the wolves. Hopefully he has some success early on so that he can build on it.

He'll probably end up playing third line minutes with veteran support on his wings. He's not going to be the focal point of the attack and a target for other teams' best players. I don't think that's exactly tossing him into the meat grinder.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
as much as i'm liking how draisaitl is working out, i'd really like to see yakimov with some offensive linemates that aren't 140 pound junior players.

Tonight he gets to play with the offensive powerhouses of ... acton and pitlick.

He's been one of our best offensive guys this preseason, give him a chance to show what he can do.

Oct 15, 2008

Gagner lovers.:laugh:

They cant wait for him to fail.

Its quite sad actually.

Oct 15, 2008
as much as i'm liking how draisaitl is working out, i'd really like to see yakimov with some offensive linemates that aren't 140 pound junior players.

Tonight he gets to play with the offensive powerhouses of ... acton and pitlick.

He's been one of our best offensive guys this preseason, give him a chance to show what he can do.

Why is Acton still here?:rant:

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
It would be great to be able to shelter Drai in the nhl. Give him a game here or there, then make him sit and watch from above for a few games - proper development. Unfortunately he will be thrown in with the wolves. Hopefully he has some success early on so that he can build on it.

Like MC inferred, the other teams only have so many "wolves" to go around, and if they use them to go after Draisaitl that's not really a smart play because that enables RNH and Hall to tear big fat chunks of flesh out of the fattened calves they leave behind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad