Pre-Game Talk: Oilers vs. Canucks - time to make Vancouver rainier than usual

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Victor?

• Total voters

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I hope the captain is healing up and ready to shift into a higher gear here. To win this series they’ll need more from him and his line at 5v5.

Has McDavid ever scored well 5v5 vs. the Kings in the playoffs? (especially when he's not with Drai)

Danault and Kopitar + their defence have generally done a great job containing him and his line.

Also with the Oil often getting the lead in every game, they were happy to just chip it deep and force LA to go 200ft. With a defensive spine of Henrique, RNH, McLeod, and Ryan/Janmark on every line, they made it a slog for LA to do anything.

Reactions: barry halls

Anemia

aka lack of Iron Man
Apr 24, 2007
Great White North
That main boards thread is something else. Knowledge and respect levels shown couldn't be more different between these fanbases. Embarrassing stuff to understate it. As to the series let's get a date already for game 1!

Oct 15, 2017
BOA I would argue that the flames were a better team than a canucks are now.
They have one of the best first lines full scoring in NHL they had a Vezina calibre tender, they had arguably what everyone deemed the best d core in the league, coached by a veteran grind it up coach.

They had a player that could stir the drink in Matthew T.

Wayne f***ing Gretzky picked the flames it was so one sided in thought.

The Oilers are arguably substantially better team than that one. And won in 5.

I heard lots of a Canucks media talking about how much Hughes got punished by Nashville. They don't have a player anywhere remotely as effective as Kane. Kane hitting Hughes will dictate this matchup.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
If they can catch Hughs and hit him like they were hitting Doughty he shouldn't be too effective. Gotta hit Petterson and keep him down. He's cold right now and we want to keep it that way. Vancouver looked bad in the first round but that could be out the window now. Knob and Co. Better have a gameplan.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Not gonna lie I’m really nervous about this matchup. Can’t really put my finger on why. This feels like a tough out for the team,

I'm nervous for every / any series. We could play the Orlando Solar Bears of the ECHL and I would have anxiety! Third period of clinching series game is when butt cheeks relax. Anything can happen.

Saying that though I believe the only team that can beat the Oil in this round is the Oil itself.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Can you schedule a game with so little notice? I would think/hope if the game was going to be played on Sunday it would have been officially announced already.

Edit: I’m posting this at 8am Saturday morning without having heard yet if it’s been announced yet. If it has, my apologies.

Yeah agree. Probably too late to schedule and / or announce.

Of course it wouldn't surprise anyone if they announced the game tomorrow's morning for that night!

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Second round starts tomorrow. Why are waiting so long to start?
I think that it gives us an advantage. It allows our guys to get time to rest and heal up. Now it also allows Demko to rest and if he comes back that would not be a good thing for us.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
Second round starts tomorrow. Why are waiting so long to start?

I'm guessing they dont want Dallas Vegas to air at the same time as game 1

If Dallas closed out the series last night we probably would've started Sunday but it's going to 7 and Rogers Arena has stuff booked Monday

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

They are starting early on the Left coast.

I saw the Kesler jersey and assumed it was an old video, without looking at the date… that’s pathetic

BOA I would argue that the flames were a better team than a canucks are now.
They have one of the best first lines full scoring in NHL they had a Vezina calibre tender, they had arguably what everyone deemed the best d core in the league, coached by a veteran grind it up coach.

They had a player that could stir the drink in Matthew T.

Wayne f***ing Gretzky picked the flames it was so one sided in thought.

The Oilers are arguably substantially better team than that one. And won in 5.

I heard lots of a Canucks media talking about how much Hughes got punished by Nashville. They don't have a player anywhere remotely as effective as Kane. Kane hitting Hughes will dictate this matchup.

I feel like Holloway is going to have another big series too. His size and speed can punish dmen

I think that it gives us an advantage. It allows our guys to get time to rest and heal up. Now it also allows Demko to rest and if he comes back that would not be a good thing for us.

I don’t know how much it matters. Silovs sits 3rd in SV%. They’ve got 3 hot goalies right now.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
If they can catch Hughs and hit him like they were hitting Doughty he shouldn't be too effective. Gotta hit Petterson and keep him down. He's cold right now and we want to keep it that way. Vancouver looked bad in the first round but that could be out the window now. Knob and Co. Better have a gameplan.
Pettersson has zero goals in playoffs and only 5 in the last 26games. I was joking in another thread that Klim Kostin has scored 5 goals in that same time frame, in last 19 games, and isn't even in playoffs.

Not thrilled with starting Tuesday in Vancouver. Wish it was sooner. For the home fans by the time theres a home game here it will have felt a long while.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
“Act like you’ve been there before”

Rioting after a first round series win? Yikes
Some people will riot for much less.

An interesting aside in these playoffs.

Is this the last playoff drive for the Mc-Drai combo?

If Drai doesn't sign an extension this summer then the team will have to trade him before the deadline next March. I'm not too optimistic about what the Oilers would net in return. I guess a new GM will be in place by then.

The Bruins and Kings are both interested with Marchand and Kopitar on the decline. It will be an interesting summer. Meantime I am going to enjoy watching that Oiler PP. Its always worth the price of admission.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I saw the Kesler jersey and assumed it was an old video, without looking at the date… that’s pathetic

I feel like Holloway is going to have another big series too. His size and speed can punish dmen

I don’t know how much it matters. Silovs sits 3rd in SV%. They’ve got 3 hot goalies right now.
3rd in sv%…against Nashville.
Silovs would have been our 3rd string goalie in the AHL behind Rodrigue and Campbell and the as awful in his regular season appearances.
Hyping him up for making saves against a team that played that awful offensively is silly.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Canucks fans are like Toronto fans but know less about hockey and are far more bandwagon. Good grief.
Because most are 20yrs old and because most middle class fans and parents would have long since moved out of the lower mainland because you can't afford to even live there. Vancouver and Toronto with obscene realestate prices that are not justified. Not a lot of bang for the buck paying to live there. Anybody sensible leaves eventually.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Some people will riot for much less.

An interesting aside in these playoffs.

Is this the last playoff drive for the Mc-Drai combo?

If Drai doesn't sign an extension this summer then the team will have to trade him before the deadline next March. I'm not too optimistic about what the Oilers would net in return. I guess a new GM will be in place by then.

The Bruins and Kings are both interested with Kopitar and Marchand on the decline. It will be an interesting summer. Meantime I am going to enjoy watching that Oiler PP. Its always worth the price of admission.

Definitely not something worth worrying about at this time. If it is, it is.

Only thing I’ll say to that is if Leon decides he wants to go to either of those two teams, it’s not about winning.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
3rd in sv%…against Nashville.
Silovs would have been our 3rd string goalie in the AHL behind Rodrigue and Campbell and the as awful in his regular season appearances.
Hyping him up for making saves against a team that played that awful offensively is silly.

I’m not saying they have 3 good goalies, I’m saying they have 3 hot goalies. It’s all about whether they cool off and come back to normal, and how rusty Demko is if he returns. But yes, playing against Nashville likely gave them a bit of a bump.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad