Post-Game Talk: Oilers ruin the Yzerplan

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Still not very convinced by this team but a win is a win and its officially a streak, we take it!

The team has now won vs; Nsh who were on a historically bad start, a Penguins team that looked absolutely dreadful, and then ot wins vs philly and the wings.
Well, they also outplayed Dallas for significant portions of that game and played an even game with Carolina, they've played well since the rough first few games. They're fine, will need more by the deadline to push to Cup contention but they'll be fine until then.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

So we’re near the top of like every analytics category (corsi, scoring chances, high danger chances, expected goals for, etc.)

Should even out over the course of a season we’ve had some pretty bad puck luck, poor goaltending, etc.

Hopefully we’ve turned the corner and can start rolling on some teams
4-1-1 since that start, so it seems like it's trending in the right direction.

Reactions: snipes

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Since his rocky start, Emberson has been awesome. Good, smart , low event hockey with a good first pass to boot.
I keep saying, there's a player with some upside in him top 4 I believe. Some fans just need to get their heads out of their asses and have some freaking patience with this young man. He has the potential to be better than Ceci IMO.

Reactions: FlameChampion

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I thought spice didn't bother me - but after trying a few of the "World's Spiciest..." Challenges, I can confidently say I do feel it, just takes a few more orders of magnitude for it to kick in. 😂

The chocolate wasn't bad, but the chip legit made me think I was going to die. 😂 Won't be doing that shenanigans again. The toilet afterwards...

But I do confidently drown everything I eat in some sort of hot sauce. Have since I was a kid, there's pictures of me being like 2 years old and tears rolling down my face from eating spicy chips - apparently I'd scream bloody murder if people tried to take em away. 😂
I heard the chip is brutal

I follow this Ben Deen guy on YouTube and he had it and holy crap. I thought he was going to die lmao! I would never attempt that. Holy shit that’s terrifying 😂 😂

Have you ever tried those Sam Yang noodles. I can’t do it. Curious if you would find them spicy. Apparently they are brutal spicy haha

I think Walmart has them or safeway

1730125476994.jpeg

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
So much in the Skynyrd catalog. Dive deep on their albums. What a band. This one isn't even in their top 30 but a track that just burns with their typical groove.

WE made the same joke again, lol

One of the lowkey great all time songs. An ideal "road trip" song driving through some pictureesque area with the windows down. LS has a few of those "play in car" songs.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I heard the chip is brutal

I follow this Ben Deen guy on YouTube and he had it and holy crap. I thought he was going to die lmao! I would never attempt that. Holy shit that’s terrifying 😂 😂

Have you ever tried those Sam Yang noodles. I can’t do it. Curious if you would find them spicy. Apparently they are brutal spicy haha

I think Walmart has them or safeway

View attachment 922777

Oh yeah I eat those occasionally, they've got a mild kick - definitely spicy but for me it's nothing exceptionally unmanageable. I like the ones that come in the black package a little more, similiar spice level just sightly different flavor.

I usually get em at Walmart.

They're a lazy meal though - I typically do like chicken or beef meal prep with rice, and then fresh vegetables with a hummus. Theres a local company from a couple of guys from the Caribbean that does scotch bonnet sauces - they're kind of my jam at the moment. Depending on the sauce they're about as spicy to twice as spicy as the buldak stuff just with like a less chemical flavor, lol. And you can put them on anything, which is nice.

The chip though... Never sweat like that before in my life. Still not sure my gut is the same since, lol. Just straight instant nausea and like excruciating pain in my entire mouth through my entire esophagus and stomach. Like 9 out of 10 pain, worse than blocking a Slapshot without a cup pain. Never again. Only one thing I've ever experienced hurt more than that.

Last edited:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Geez, I was just reading Bruce McCurdy's player-grades from the Detroit game. Usually the 'Cult of Hockey' guys are quite respectful (if critical) of Nurse, but this is McCurdy's take from this game:

Darnell Nurse, 3 / 10
Played in a complex rotation that included 12:13 of left defence with Stecher and 7:25 on the right side with Kulak, as coaches Knoblauch and Coffey have been trying a new wrinkle to maximize their group. Nurse had his issues at times, including being among the defensive culprits on both Detroit goals. Also took Edmonton’s lone penalty of the evening.
GAS: ES +2/-7; ST 0.

Didn't realize he was that bad (I missed this game, just saw highlights).

Oh, Darnell...! (He did have a few good-ish games recently...)

By the way, Mattias Ekholm is a total stud. This guy -- despite his advancing years -- remains one of the best both-ways' defencemen I've ever seen. I only wish I had been able to appreciate him more in his Nashville years but didn't because... Nashville.

Anyway, Ekholm is +76 in his 109 games with Edmonton. Here is the plus/minus of ALL NHL PLAYERS since he was traded to the Oilers:
+76 Ekholm
+69 Forsling
+52 DeMelo
+52 McDavid
+50 Bouchard
+47 Hughes
+45 Toews

Since he was traded, Ekholm is literally the #1 player in the NHL in terms of even-strength results when the player is on the ice.

Now, you can argue that he gets considerable ice-time with McDavid, Bouchard, Draisaitl, etc., and that's true (to a degree). But we pause to remember that McDavid, for example, did not have exceptional plus/minus results prior to Ekholm's arrival ('22 playoffs aside). Ekholm's arrival also pretty-much exactly coincided with Bouchard's emergence into modest stardom (naturally Bouchard's ice-time and deployment went way up when Barrie was traded away for Ekholm).

In 111 games prior to Ekholm becoming his partner, Bouchard was -3. In 111 games after Ekholm became his partner, Bouchard is +50.

Ekholm is getting slower of foot (natural at his age), but he consistently has a remarkable ability to be in the right places at the correct time. He judges very expertly when to go, when to sag, when to attack, when to stay back, when to go to the front of the net, when to go behind and dig out a puck. (In short, he's the anti-Nurse.)

So far, I've talked defence only. But Ekholm also has considerable value offensively. Since coming to the Oilers, Ekholm is 19th highest in D-scoring in the NHL. That in itself is impressive for a remarkable defensive player, but get this: Since coming to Edmonton, Ekholm is 5th HIGHEST IN THE NHL in even-strength points. (He has has more ES points than Karlsson or Josi or Hedman since he came to Edmonton.)

I adore this player.

Game Impact Score card thinger had Nurse at bottom of the pile again. Guy just can't do anytihng right aside from punch faces lol

Even when visually it looks like he's doing "well" [or getting by], advanced stats and all that seem to paint him horrawful

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Nice to grab a win but man our PP is costing us.

Not going to lie, I liked the set up at the end of the game with Drai and Arv at the faceoff dots. As good as the PP has been, the lack of a one timer on the LW side has always been it's biggest drawback.

They got away with it when Klef, Nurse, Barrie, and Bouch were quick to reset to RNH on the LW side, but now that Bouchard is holding onto the puck more and the set up has shifted from the line of RNH-McDavid-Drai across to the middle of the zone to a triangle of McDrai and Bouch, Nuge often ends up on an island not really threatening anything. Thus PKers are free to ignore him and focus on taking away space from the others.

Hyman-McDavid-Drai
Arvidsson-Bouch

Perry-RNH-Skinner
Nurse-Ekholm

With RNH set up in the LW dot and 3 one time options available for him to set up.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Don't f*** with a and w on game day.

@tardigrade81

That's great that he got tuned in, but what scares me these days is he comes back with a gun, or arsons the place.

Not going to lie, I liked the set up at the end of the game with Drai and Arv at the faceoff dots. As good as the PP has been, the lack of a one timer on the LW side has always been it's biggest drawback.

They got away with it when Klef, Nurse, Barrie, and Bouch were quick to reset to RNH on the LW side, but now that Bouchard is holding onto the puck more and the set up has shifted from the line of RNH-McDavid-Drai across to the middle of the zone to a triangle of McDrai and Bouch, Nuge often ends up on an island not really threatening anything. Thus PKers are free to ignore him and focus on taking away space from the others.

Hyman-McDavid-Drai
Arvidsson-Bouch

Perry-RNH-Skinner
Nurse-Ekholm

With RNH set up in the LW dot and 3 one time options available for him to set up.
I don't think Arvidsson has the shot to be a finisher on the PP.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He was the aggressor, yet the AnW guy threw the first punch. Unfortunately in Canada that could be big trouble for him...
Laws are laws (imperfect often times), but that guy wasn't walking up to him to kiss him on the cheek. IMO the worker felt physically threatened and did what he had to to protect himself.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Howe also had the odd fight I believe. :)
Rocket Richard?

Hey, we boh grew up watching Wild and Wooley WCHL. Seemed like every star player could fight and didn't mind doing it and thus attracting NHL interest from Boston to Philly to STL and other parts.

Of course old school hockey fighting and starring were one and the same thing. Eddie Shack was another potential star that was unforgettable on and off the ice and both he and Howe could fight so well that they made a truce with each other to not do it for stints because if was so painful figthing an opponent who could lay a beating. Shack and Howe had a mutual respect that either could lose in a tilt. They were the duo in this, they only avoided each other.

Cough. Larry Robinson. What a treasure. My favorite player before the OIlers came into the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad