Prospect Info: Oilers Rookie at the Penticton Young Stars Classic

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
These games are meaningless. Need to look for moments within players and not results. Pretty dominant game by Canucks. Little to no offensive chances for Oil and leaky defense against Canuckles skill.

Day looked good. Some flashes from Wakely. Consistent physical game by Clattenberg. Little to nothing from Oil skill prospects Savoie, Stefan, Petrov. Thought Lajoie looked soft on his late penalty getting worked over by Canucks Finnish player.

This will be about finding bottom roster projectable pieces for the big team.
I wonder if he might develop into a Foegele or Hyman type player, not as good but a longer term prospect who finds a way to the league and becomes a useful and effective player.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Marelli was 84? He was woof bad tonight. Whole defense was completely awful. Team in general couldn’t win a puck battle, make a pass or recover a puck.

Least you can kind of see Wanners combination of size and skating. About only positive I saw. He wasn’t good either though.
Yup. I cut the kid lots of slack as a camp invite. But he had a tough game in his own end. Oil struggled with Canucks forecheck with not a lot of blueline ability to move the puck. Needed Akey's calm processor and puck transportation and passing.

Wanner looked okay. Still rough in his game but you see the potential starting to come together. Oil were chasing all night in all zones. That's okay. Process and growth over results for this scrimmage hockey.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
That was a very uneventful and boring rookies game I've seen since... last year! Lol

I was hoping to see more of Savoie, Grubbe, and O’Reilly. None of these players stood out at all.

The best players on the Oil I thought were Berglund and Petrov.

Day was... okaaay.

Reactions: Nevins

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Not sure how it's an indictment on Chaulk. He's spent a few days with a bunch of undrafted major junior players, most of whom look like they won't make it even to the AHL going forward. He's not going to work miracles and turn them into a cohesive and effective unit in such a short time.

Big difference between working miracles and having guys know the basics and understanding where to be. Everyone looked lost out there. Canucks were ready for tonight's game and the Oilers looked like a bunch of guys who have never played before.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I wonder if he might develop into a Foegele or Hyman type player, not as good but a longer term prospect who finds a way to the league and becomes a useful and effective player.
I don't see the speed game of Foegele or the power forward net front game of Hyman. First, fleeting impression is a decent processor who doesn't give up on pucks/decent tenacity. Hard though to project anything substantive from a single game sample.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Yeah lol. He showed some potential at least offensively
It's a giant leap from junior to pro. A real big challenge for a smaller defender if he can't execute capable defending without a massive toolkit to outscore it. Still it's a one game sample. Reinforce taking impressions only from these games and think moreso of the process involved for each young player to absorb and grow.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Big difference between working miracles and having guys know the basics and understanding where to be. Everyone looked lost out there. Canucks were ready for tonight's game and the Oilers looked like a bunch of guys who have never played before.
When your defensemen give a free pass to the net on every rush because they have no clue how to defend 1v1, no one can win any puck battles because they're too slow to get there in time to engage in them, and executing simple passes looked beyond most of the player's abilities - it's more of a talent issue than a coaching issue.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I don't see the speed game of Foegele or the power forward net front game of Hyman. First, fleeting impression is a decent processor who doesn't give up on pucks/decent tenacity. Hard though to project anything substantive from a single game sample.
I don't know, I thought he showed solid foot speed, either way he's a definitely a few years away. I just think he might become a player.

Maybe if those guys were high, a Craig Conroy type might be a possibility.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I don't know, I thought he showed solid foot speed, either way he's a definitely a few years away. I just think he might become a player.

Maybe if those guys were high, a Craig Conroy type might be a possibility.
I don't see or didn't see tonight the breakaway speed of a Foegele or Conroy but seems to have good anticipation and some jam to play in contested ice. Definitely like the pick like it sounds like you do too! Let's see how he shows moving forward.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Not sure what people were expecting with how thin our prospect pool is
Almost everyone on Defense is a camp invite..meaning not good enough to get drafted

Having said that, these games are essentially meaningless and have no bearing on future success..considering we always went undefeated in these thing which didn’t translate into good drafting and development

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Looking at the Canucks lineup, they dressed quite a bit of AHL experienced players

I listened to the later part of the game on CHED and Stauffer was saying it was a majority AHL lineup from last season so you had most of the players who played together vs a hodge podge of players including the D who were mostly invitees thrown together like a beer league scrimmage so you can’t draw too many conclusions from tonight’s game.

I did watch the 1st period and while it’s been commented Savoie threw the puck away a few times he was making routine regroup or pressure relief passes to his D who went out of position at the last moment. His processing the game was usually further ahead than his D who were thinking the game at a lower level thus the several giveaways.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
We’re all in this year for the Cup.

This is literally as meaningless as it gets.

I remember like 8-10 years ago somewhat caring about this. I still might tune in for a game if I have time this weekend, didn’t we have a run of like 5+ seasons going undefeated at this? There are so many invites there that will never even sniff the NHL.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Not sure what people were expecting with how thin our prospect pool is
Almost everyone on Defense is a camp invite..meaning not good enough to get drafted

Having said that, these games are essentially meaningless and have no bearing on future success..considering we always went undefeated in these thing which didn’t translate into good drafting and development
They aren't meaningless. They wouldn't go if they were meaningless.

This board loves their prospects and this tournament until they don't. Hilarious.

Reactions: McDoused

bleatbloop

Aug 20, 2024
Let's remember that picking Savoie up was a cap dump on our part, trying to scrounge up what we could. Looking at this unbiased, we have nobody except this O'Reilly kid and Akey who have a shot of being an impact NHL player at some point.

The guys can barely move out there. I know as fans of the club we need to be looking at our prospects and HOPE-ing they pan out and bring us great success. Fact of the matter is it's looking grim. Yadda yadda one rookie tournament game. Lots of these guys have been to two or three of these at this point and are nothing players. Just how it is, and that's normal for any team.

Last year Holloway put on a clinic in this tournament and showed he is leagues ahead of the rest. Even then he was in the AHL all year and struggled at the NHL level. Nobody in the group resembles anything near the level of Holloway, use that as your barometer.

• Haha
Reactions: Tobias Kahun

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Lol... already a poll on the mains Lekk vs Savoie... after 1 rookie pre season game and Savoie surrounded by a tire fire... lol the desperation

Imagine being so desperate for any sort of W that you need to try and aggressively push this. Didn’t see the game, but I saw a clip on twitter of Lekk dangling some camp invite scrub and then missing the net. I’m assuming this is what has their panties wet?

The rub for them - I don’t think a single Oiler fan actually cares if Lekk is better than Savoie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad