Proposal: Oilers/Rangers - Draisaitl for Shesterkin

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
If it’s the deal suggested with Skinner and Zibby added, I definitely think long and hard about that. But still, at the end of the day I probably stick with Drai and Skinner.

Goalies - even one as good as Shesterkin - can be victimized if the team in front of them doesn’t play good D. Just look at Brobrovsky. Panthers fans were talking about buying out Brobrovsky after year 1of his deal (as well as last year). Now it’s “Is Brobrovsky a Hall of Famer.”

With Drai, you know what you’re getting every year. Maybe you can question if he can put up the same numbers away from McDavid, but you know he’s an elite 1C.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
No goalies don’t get you top 5 players in a trade.

Doesn’t mean that it makes sense. As a Habs fan I’ve seen Price get a mediocre team deal in the playoffs but no act would have given us a top 5 players for Price

Goalies can have the greatest impact on games, but they are generally in consistent.

Shesterkin is one of the top goalies in the league, but he was not playing well earlier this season. Sorokin is right up there and he was the backup in the playoffs as his SV% dropped from .924 last season to .909 this season. Saros also saw a big dip in his play this season. Hellebuyck may win the Vezina this year but his stats the past two playoffs are brutal. Price was great until injuries did him in - same with Cory Schneider.

We no longer see the type of consistency that we used to see with goalies like Brodeur, Roy, Hasek, Cujo, etc. with maybe Vasilevsky as the exception.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Goalies can have the greatest impact on games, but they are generally in consistent.

Shesterkin is one of the top goalies in the league, but he was not playing well earlier this season. Sorokin is right up there and he was the backup in the playoffs as his SV% dropped from .924 last season to .909 this season. Saros also saw a big dip in his play this season. Hellebuyck may win the Vezina this year but his stats the past two playoffs are brutal. Price was great until injuries did him in - same with Cory Schneider.

We no longer see the type of consistency that we used to see with goalies like Brodeur, Roy, Hasek, Cujo, etc. with maybe Vasilevsky as the exception.
If Skinner had a .909 save percentage in the cup then perhaps it's still a series.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
They got to the final four. They lost to the team that’s looking likely to win it in more games than it’s looking like the team that will most likely lose in the final two will.
Saying stuff like this is the most pathetic coping mechanism. Your team lost. End of story. Who gives a shit who you lost to and who anyone else lost to? You don't get a ring for "losing to the team that won the cup."

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
By that logic Boston is the 2nd best because they took the Panthers to 6.
Not necessarily. They lost in the final 8. A little different. Are they maybe a little better than a team that made the final four? Yeah potentially, but that’s a little different than what you suggested.

Saying stuff like this is the most pathetic coping mechanism. Your team lost. End of story. Who gives a shit who you lost to and who anyone else lost to? You don't get a ring for "losing to the team that won the cup."
You seem to be struggling to understand what’s being discussed, so maybe take your anger out on yourself there as opposed to me.

I am not coping with anything. I’m explaining that the Rangers had a successful season and don’t need to make wild changes to have slightly more success next season.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Easy yes for Oilers
Khabibulin was washed up when he came to Edmonton

This is an offer the Oilers need to take and run

Mika is a great center to replace Drai and Igor is Igor
Nice try.. as if we haven't been watching Zibane.. he is going to be a boat anchor contract pretty soon.

I would rather take Kakko over Zibane.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
Feel free to find a single example in NHL history of a goalie returning anything close to Draisaitl (and go into that hunt knowing Hasek was traded twice and Roy once). Goalies don’t have that kind of trade value. That’s not to say they’re not important, it’s just a fact of the trade market.
Both Hasek and Roy DEMANDED trades.

I understand what you are saying, but those weren't hockey trades. The GMs were over a barrel and had to make those moves.

And I'm not counting the original Hasek trade when he had just 25 games of NHL experience and an 0.897 save percentage.

Last edited:

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Rangers might say yes. Oilers say no, unless maybe Drai said he has no intention of resigning. It’s not happening, but if it did I think there’d be another couple names involved. Maybe a swap of forwards favoring Edmonton.

I’m sure the GM’s would also want to speak to the players to make sure they are willing to resign. I’m not sure if Igor has any desire to go to Edmonton. Seems more like a NY or Florida type of guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: bernmeister

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
The Rangers have the best chance to sign Drai in UFA if he opts to go that way, why would you give up your best player and a guy that makes that opposing teams start -1 in the playoffs by his advanced metrics.

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
I don't agree from a standpoint of value
Rs add only slightly to Shesty
if it is a fair deal

now, I am not a hypocrite
unless it is complementary like lefty for righty
deals are always for profit

enuf profit, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder
some transactions require premium return, others enuf will suffice.

I have said there are times you don't let certain assets go unless it is a top $
return

here the core pieces are both undeniably top $

That said, from a standpoint of moving long term cap
I would be amenable to moving Zib if he waived, and taking back
Lavoie, Broberg + Holloway

tro is untouchable

Zib likely refuses, but if he sees bread, Shesty moved, and he can W w/McD, he might

You missed the boat on Holloway and Broberg. Both playing vital roles with the big club and the Oilers need cheap young guys

The Oilers need to focus on a Ceci upgrade and their goaltending situation but it won't be something drastic like Drai/Igor

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
This deal is unrealistic for both teams. The Oilers are losing the best player in the deal and getting a lesser market value position value wise as the main piece. You can argue how good Shesty is but in the end a big top scoring center is the most valuable position in hockey and goalies are the least value in trades. This is unattractive to them even with a sweetener, so it becomes a multiple piece trade from the Oilers standpoint. The Rags have good depth in every position except goalie and if Skinner is not good enough for the Oilers, why would he be the answer for the Rags even with a super star like Draisaitl up front.

This is a nonstarter unless both players won't sign with their respective team. Draisaitl will get a 8 year 13.5 million dollar deal from the Oilers and Shesty will be a 12 million dollar goalie for 8 years in NY. Each team will be the big winner in an Non-Trade.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Only on HF do you trade your best player because you need to restructure the best regular season team and second best playoff team of the season.
Only on HF do you think they were they second best playoff team while looking like ass most of the playoffs. Yes, they won games. They also weren't the best regular season team because of Shesterkin.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Yes and no. At the end of the day they lost. However, it didn’t feel quite as debilitating as it was a year ago getting wiped out by the Devils in the first round. At least this year you felt they had a shot and got to watch a few rounds of playoff hockey. I wouldn’t call it a success, but I’ve seen a lot worse.

The question is whether or not you think this team can get over the hump in the future or if you need to shake up the core. Right now I’m leaning shake up, but you also don’t want to overreact.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Yes and no. At the end of the day they lost. However, it didn’t feel quite as debilitating as it was a year ago getting wiped out by the Devils in the first round. At least this year you felt they had a shot and got to watch a few rounds of playoff hockey. I wouldn’t call it a success, but I’ve seen a lot worse.

The question is whether or not you think this team can get over the hump in the future or if you need to shake up the core. Right now I’m leaning shake up, but you also don’t want to overreact.
I think that's different though. Being angry about losing is perfectly acceptable (as if I or anybody has any say in how anyone is supposed to get over a loss), but continuing to be bitter about hypotheticals just deprives a person of enjoying hockey for the sake of enjoying hockey.

KevinFinnerty

I bomb atomically...
Mar 7, 2020
St.Augustine
Both players can become UFAs after next season. So it will be a mystery bag if each player re-signs or not with their new team. Both will get paid big bucks in that contract.

Rangers would need to find goaltending, but can run with Quick for a bit.

Oilers instantly become cup favorites again with a real goalie, despite losing a big player. Rangers also improve if Quick can play solid again next year.

Win/Win for both? Or Lose/Lose?
how do Rangers improve on a president's trophy season with a downgrade in net?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This deal is unrealistic for both teams. The Oilers are losing the best player in the deal and getting a lesser market value position value wise as the main piece. You can argue how good Shesty is but in the end a big top scoring center is the most valuable position in hockey and goalies are the least value in trades. This is unattractive to them even with a sweetener, so it becomes a multiple piece trade from the Oilers standpoint. The Rags have good depth in every position except goalie and if Skinner is not good enough for the Oilers, why would he be the answer for the Rags even with a super star like Draisaitl up front.

This is a nonstarter unless both players won't sign with their respective team. Draisaitl will get a 8 year 13.5 million dollar deal from the Oilers and Shesty will be a 12 million dollar goalie for 8 years in NY. Each team will be the big winner in a Non-Trade.
If centers are so valuable and goalies aren’t, explain the Oilers. Potentially the two best centers in the league and terrible goaltending. Panthers with good, not as amazing, centers and good goaltending are up 3-1.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Trade would have to be expanded a bit to make sense for both teams. Presumably Edmonton isn't trading Draisaitl if they think they can re-sign him, but the Rangers don't have the cap space to sign him without making significant moves, nor does it make sense to trade for him if they're planning on keeping all 3 of Zibanejad, Trocheck, Chytil.

Something that'd make more sense and mean roughly equal cap going each way would be

Draisaitl, Skinner, Kulak (cap dump) for Zibanejad, Shesterkin

This would simultaneously fill Edmonton's 2C and 1G positions while clearing cap and a space for Draisaitl to fill if he's to re-sign with NYR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad