Oilers now 13-12-1: THE THREAD THAT'S FUN FOR EVERYONE

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

J bo Jeans

Aug 7, 2020
Ottawa
Obviously alarm bells are ringing but its only been 6 games... Oilers nearly won their division last year because they were the best team in the second half of the season not the first.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
McDavid isn't injured, he just got tired of carrying them and will be taking an extended leave of absence so he can fantasize about his inevitable return to Toronto

• Haha
Reactions: Duke74 and KaN19

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I agree. That's the key. Division and conference isn't that great.

Edmonton will get in after a slow start. They can plug some holes at trade deadline and play better.

It’s not just McDavid missing time. The switch to zone defense has been rough going for an already shaky defense. If they continue to flounder with the new defense, it’s the type of thing that can lead to a coaching change.

Alternatively, the defense could start to click and a few guys might step up in McDavid’s absence.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
The pacific is so bad, that they would have to have a seriously bad season to miss the playoffs.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
The thing most concerning shouldn't be their record, but how. The team from the GM to the coach to McDaviid and his captain skate down acknowledged they need to learn to play team defense to win. And so the system was adjusted, the players are trying to play defensively sound hockey, and they are discovering they just lack the ability to do that.

Their defense and goaltending is too weak to be such an important part of their gameplan. Ekholm's decline and Broberg busting amplify the problem. Instead, they will revert to run and gun play to win games again and start putting up 100000 point seasons again, but once again be ousted by the first team they face in the playoffs that can force them to defend.

Last edited by a moderator:

Timeless Winter

SaveD the Crew
Oct 13, 2006
Cleveland, Ohio
Zero risk. They're in a terrible division. Wouldn't be surprised if they won the western conference. Only thing stopping them is Ken Holland refusing to fix the defense and goaltending.

Vikingstad

**** the King
May 1, 2011
Vancouver
Concerning start yes, but not because the record, more just because they're playing poorly.

FYI here is the record of all teams that made the playoffs last season in October of 2022:

East:
Carolina 6-2-1
New Jersey 6-3-0
NYR 5-3-2

Boston 8-1-0
Toronto 4-4-2
Tampa Bay 5-4-0

NYI 5-4-0
Florida 5-3-1

West:
Colorado 4-4-1
Dallas 5-3-1
Minnesota 4-4-1

Vegas 8-2-1
Edmonton 6-3-0
Los Angeles 6-5-0

Seattle 4-4-2
Winnipeg 5-3-1

Still to early to tell in my opinion. If they string together a little win streak they're no different than most teams last year that made the playoffs

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I don't think they will miss the playoffs, but the division and conference are probably out of reach. That's not just because of their poor start, but Vegas and Colorado look pretty damn good.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
In fairness six would have been worse. It’s all about how you look at it.

Yea I have a hard time believing they’ll not make it. I don’t necessarily think they’ll go far without seriously good fortune, but worse case they fire their coach at some internally set deadline and someone comes in and kicks players asses
Sometimes players just have an unlucky night but no he was actually responsible for four of the goals against.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
lol they will still make the playoffs but will get destroyed again in their own end. Those turnovers and leaving guys completely open in the slot with the nearest dman being 20 feet away are their biggest weakness.

J bo Jeans

Aug 7, 2020
Ottawa
The thing most concerning shouldn't be their record, but how. The team from the GM to the coach to McDaviid and his captain skate down acknowledged they need to learn to play team defense to win. And so the system was adjusted, the players are trying to play defensively sound hockey, and they are discovering they just lack the ability to do that.

Their defense and goaltending is too weak to be such an important part of their gameplan. Ekholm's decline and Broberg busting amplify the problem. Instead, they will revert to run and gun play to win games again and start putting up 100000 point seasons again, but once again be ousted by the first team they face in the playoffs that can force them to defend.

I would be very worried if I was an Oilers fan. Hopefully my boy @Tad Mikowsky is doing ok, haven't heard from him the last few weeks.
crazy how many Oilers threads I see you in lmao.

Ousted by the first team to defend lmao?? More like ousted by the best team in the league two years running.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
crazy how many Oilers threads I see you in lmao.

Ousted by the first team to defend lmao?? More like ousted by the best team in the league two years running.

I find their games entertaining. Usually little defense played, lots of scoring, and some physicality. As a result of watching so many of their games, I will have a lot of opinions on them

Reactions: LivingRentFree

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Zero risk. They're in a terrible division. Wouldn't be surprised if they won the western conference. Only thing stopping them is Ken Holland refusing to fix the defense and goaltending.
They're like 10 points behind Colorado and Vegas already. They probably won't miss the playoffs but can't see them winning the West.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
They gone through slumps like this is previous seasons and still made it. I think they still do but their defence system needs a complete overhaul.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Both teams are a lot different so your point is moot. If Canucks trade Garland and get another top 4D, then they won't have any weaknesses. They are 4-2 and getting contributions from players like Lafferty, Hoglander, and Suter. They get slept on here so much though. I think there will be some surprises this year. Teams like Wings and Vancouver seem very different after their wholesale changes they did in offseason and that trade deadline last year.

This is pretty much every team's thoughts. "If we can just trade away this overpaid and over rated player for an unrealistic return, our team will be great". Problem is that Garland is not returning a top 4D man.

Reactions: TheOne

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
If McDavid is out for another 3-4 games, they can be looking at a start of 1-7-1 ......

That's not good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad