Oilers lose 3-2 vs Canucks

jgoud*

Good for 15 goals, fights, hits, size......

You can hate all you want but I think the oilers could use players that bring some of that.

Kassian was a floating potato out there tonight. And that's being generous. The guy has the smarts of David Booth, only in a caveman's body.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Lowe barely does anything anymore, just collects a paycheck.

Call me crazy, but yeah. I despise Lowe and want him fired more than anybody, but another year in the basement with a top 5 pick would just be miserable. Make the playoffs, and even if they get knocked in the first round, that shows progress. Making a jump from bottom finishes to a playoff spot is a big step imo.

I'm pretty sure he hired MacTavish, who in turn hired Eakins. It's a trickle down effect.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You have to think at some point Katz would wake up and realize the people running the team are morons.

...Not that I believe that for a second, but...

Never gonna happen so honestly, you need to stop hoping for it.

I know that it looks grim this season but there's no freaking way that I'm hoping for a tank. No fn way that I want to go through another season like that, and I'm sure that McDavid and Eichel are hoping the same. It's getting ridiculous already.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Draisaitl to Europe?

Sincerely doubt it. CHL/Hockey Canada would have to grant his release, much like they did for Yakupov during the lock-out. I doubt that they would do that in a non-lock out scenario.

If Draisaitl doesn't stick with us, he'll go back to Prince Albert.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
All-Star performance by John Garrett in this one. Eberle had a sophomore jinx last year, Draisaitl made contact with Edler's elbow, not the other way around...please no more Nucks crew.

Yakupov and Draisaitl look great together. I don't see how people don't love what they see from Draisaitl. He keeps the forecheck going, makes a lot of nice subtle plays, has great offensive instincts, and plays well defensively. Me likey.

I cringe whenever Hunt takes a shot on net. It either misses the net by a mile, or he puts it into a defender's leg or stick. Every single time.

All in all, not a bad showing of our plug team against Vancouver's almost opening night lineup.

Chabot must go.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I'm pretty sure he hired MacTavish, who in turn hired Eakins. It's a trickle down effect.
Let's force Katz out of Edmonton! He hired Lowe. No more Katz, no more arena, no more Oilers! Problem solved!

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
GreatKeith I think you need a break from the Oilers, you are more negative then Replacement but don't even have good arguements for your reasoning.

The last 5 years aren't reason enough? Did you watch that team last year?

I want to believe this team is on the upswing but every time this team and it's management think things are going to be fine they trip and end up with a face full of cowpie.

There is zero reason to believe this team is going anywhere this season.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I only got to watch the 3rd.

Hunt looked pretty decent in both his zone and the Canucks zone.

Shultz seems to be starting to get some leadership skills.

Yakupov and Drai are looking like they're starting to click.

Didn't really notice much else. For some reason Hunt really stood out for me in the small amount I watched.

How was the first 2 periods?

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I like these lines

Hall RNH Eberle
Perron Drais Yak
Poo Yak2 Purcy
Hendricks Gordon Pitlick

Thats a solid third line for possession imho

Drais had great chem with poo so that can always be switched with purcy changing wings. Better to have a finisher on that line so poo and perro can switch up as well.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Or 3. We end up dead last, trade Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yak, Draisaitl and Nurse for 2 1sts and a second. That'll definitely show the world we mean business.

It's clearly the first answer. I don't give a **** about McDavid and Eichel, one player doesn't make a team, two don't either, look at Pittsburgh for proof of that

They've won a cup, been near the top of league for years now while not having that good a team, they've had mediocre goaltending and they've had an average defense.

But they continue to succeed because of 2 players. I agree we shouldn't wish for a brutal year just to draft great players but Pittsburgh is not a good comparison.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
And the winner of the "who will play center for the 2014-15 Oilers" rollercoaster is ...

Maybe we can get Jokinen!

jokinen.jpg

OK, maybe ... Riberio!

Ribeiro_Mike_1.jpg

Please trade us ... Berglund!

berglund.jpg

OK ... ugh ... guess it's Arcobello ...

mark_arcobello_edmonton.jpg

mactavish.jpg

Based on this pre-season I think it's fair to say we've found a great deal of success in reaffirming who our other center will be ... ladies and gentlemen ...

i

Hey guys ... I'll just take that stall between Yakupov and Perron.

McDeathbyCheerios*

The last 5 years aren't reason enough? Did you watch that team last year?

I want to believe this team is on the upswing but every time this team and it's management think things are going to be fine they trip and end up with a face full of cowpie.

There is zero reason to believe this team is going anywhere this season.
I did watch last year, but the roster went thru a complete revamp so did the coaching staff in the last year so I'm willing to see what this lineup can do when a game matters.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Oilers center summer ...

jokinen.jpg

OK, maybe ... Riberio!

Ribeiro_Mike_1.jpg

berglund.jpg

mactavish.jpg

Based on this pre-season I think it's fair to say we've found a great deal of success in reaffirming who our other center will be ... ladies and gentlemen ...

i

Thanks for the laugh :laugh:

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Oilers center summer ...

OK, maybe ... Riberio!

Ribeiro_Mike_1.jpg

berglund.jpg

mactavish.jpg

i

Haha, put up a picture of a saved image search for that first picture?

Oops.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Katz honestly is kinda part of the problem too.

If the Coyotes and Islanders can find new owners why can't we?
How many billionaires live in Edmonton or even care about the city? Oh what's that, there is only one.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I'd also give the 7D spot to Aulie over Hunt after tonight. Klefbom goes down while Nurse stays up as well. IMO Acton stays as 4C/PB fodder while Pitlick, Lander, Arco and Yakimov get sent down along with Hunt.

No.. just no. One good game for Acton means nothing. He would have been cut two games ago if his dad wasn't a coach. He adds nothing.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Unfortunately the man coaching the team hasn't changed at all it seems.
You can judge little from the pre season other then individual player performance. He had a rookie season with a **** lineup and awful assistants.

He also learned fast this year with Yak and is trying to find a spot for him to succeed.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
If the Oilers finish bottom five again, I hope Gary Bettman takes the pick away from us. Enough ****ing high draft picks, time to pull ourselves out of the toilet.

SchultzSquared*

Nice too see Yak and Drai click... boy weird how great young goal scorer and great young play maker mesh

Lines for me...

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Pouliot-TBA-Perron
Purcell-Draisaitl-Yakupov
Hendricks-Gordon-Pitlick
Pinni Arco

One thing this whole pre season has shown... we need that vet 2C today...

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
If the Oilers finish bottom five again, I hope Gary Bettman takes the pick away from us. Enough ****ing high draft picks, time to pull ourselves out of the toilet.

Indeed. Screw the draft. Time for some improvements in the standings. Close to a playoff spot > top 5 pick. If our current top picks haven't managed to turn this team around, what makes the people who want another top 5 pick think McDavid or Eichel will? Screw tanking. Sick of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad