Oilers lose 3-2 vs Canucks

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Some guy tweeted "Draisaitl has spent more time in the proper place in his own zone in 6 games than Gagner spent in 7 years" lol.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I suppose it was to be expected.

PP is going to sink us this year
We have yet to even ice a roster that had all our pp guys on it. Gordon, Khaira and Pitlick have seen pp time if that's any indication

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Well all this preseason bs starting with close to 70 players in camp... and I bet not a single surprise on opening night.

Extras kept will be Lander/Pitlick because of waivers and Aulie as the #7D.

Nurse would have been sent back but since there's injuries Nurse gets his 9 game look.

Could have just skipped camp and gone direct to the season.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Schultz looking great m

Yak & Drai building some chemistry, Yakupov with the best game I've seen him play since his rookie year.

These are the types of games where Eberle drives me crazy.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
We have yet to even ice a roster that had all our pp guys on it. Gordon, Khaira and Pitlick have seen pp time if that's any indication

That's a problem in its own right-- isn't pre-season's POINT to get ready for the season? Not to audition players for a 4th line spot where they'll play 5-10 minutes a night and rarely do anything that makes a difference between winning and losing.

But maybe it's just me. :shakehead

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Some guy tweeted "Draisaitl has spent more time in the proper place in his own zone in 6 games than Gagner spent in 7 years" lol.

He's probably not that far off truth be told!

Yakimov picked a poor time to have a quiet game IMO. I think that he played himself off of the team tonight.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Really loved how Yakupov played tonight. Him and Leon have good chemistry. Put those two together. Not a huge fan of Hunt, but I'll prefer him as a 7th over Aulie.

PP: Idk if Eakins is still running it, but it really needs to be fixed. 1) They can't set it up. 2) They fire it at the opposing goalie. 3) SET YAKUPOV AND HALL UP FOR ONE TIMERS on the halfboards, a big body in front like Pouliot, and some one timers on the point. Good grief.

Anyways, lol at the nucks full roster that managed to barely beat an oilrs squad full of ahl tweeners.

DipsyMcDoodles

Apr 6, 2014
Edmonton
Think Nurse has really locked down at the very least a nine game stint; he was solid all night and seems really comfortable now. Oh and also Yak was great :handclap:

McDeathbyCheerios*

Good - Yakupov, Draisaitl, Nurse, Schultz, Marincin, Acton

Decent - Scrivens, Eberle, Hendricks, Hunt, Klefbom, Arcobello, Acton

Bad - Lander

Joseppi

Oct 12, 2008
Kepler-22b

I'd agree with you if it weren't for the 3% conversion rate this preseason. Combine that with an abysmal PP from last year, and that sounds like more of a systems issue than personnel.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Preseason is finally done.

Oilers were the better team tonight, and probably would've won had Scrivens showed up in the first.

Oh well.

Another loss? FIRE EAKINS.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Only caught bits of the game as I was in and out.

I thought the guys played OK.

Yakupov showed some signs of being a 1st overall. It will be a process with him, but his defensive positioning is way better than last year.

Eberle played soft until like the last play of the game where he decides to dangle through the entire Canucks team and then not shoot the puck, lol. Oh well.

Klefbom probably needs a bit more seasoning but he moves well.

Draisaitl wasn't spectacular but seems to be building some chemistry with Yakupov, has really insane vision on the ice.

Lander-Acton provided energy, but Lander can't score to save his life.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
It was a good 40 min effort at least. I know its preseason and all but I would be worried if I were the Nucks. Barely beating the Barons +schultz, Marincin, Eberle, Yak, Purcell, Gordon is not impressive. If Scrivens hadn't let in those weak shots in the beginning maybe it would have only been a 2-1 game, but oh well still impressive given we had so many Ahlers in the lineup.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Only watched about 20 minutes of the game, but out shooting the Canucks 29-18 is pretty damn embarrassing for them seeing as we only iced 5 of our top 9 forwards and 2 of our top 6 D.

McDeathbyCheerios*

That's a problem in its own right-- isn't pre-season's POINT to get ready for the season? Not to audition players for a 4th line spot where they'll play 5-10 minutes a night and rarely do anything that makes a difference between winning and losing.

But maybe it's just me. :shakehead
I can agree. Our pp though in the pre season has seemed to be trying to figure who has a pp ability. Which we have learned that we already know who can pp and should stick with that.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Yeah, John Garrett is horrible. His little tidbits are ****** and often false. I thought Rob Kerr was bad...

They're both garbage. Kerr's voice was annoying. A moment a flames shot, his voice would go up like he had some kind of drug spiked in himself. Garrett's just a complete tool. :laugh:

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Missed the game tonight. The good, the bad and the ugly?

Scrivens let in a couple of howlers, Acton & Lander played awesome.

MM looked great, Nurse was okay, but steady, Klefbom started off poorly but had a pretty good game after that.

Don't really like Hunt or Aulie. Don't want Arcobello.

Purcell and Eberle & Gordon I call the NyQuil line.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'd also give the 7D spot to Aulie over Hunt after tonight. Klefbom goes down while Nurse stays up as well. IMO Acton stays as 4C/PB fodder while Pitlick, Lander, Arco and Yakimov get sent down along with Hunt.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
They were actually a bit better than horrible the last 2 periods.
I thought the Yak-Draisaitl combo looked pretty good. Acton and Lander weren't total plugs for a change but they have no chance to make the final roster or at least they shouldn't.

My problem is, what purpose did this game serve? Besides Hall-RNH-Eberle, we still have no idea what the other 3 lines will be. NONE
Most teams have their forward groups set and ready to go by now. The Oilers have a bunch of question marks. I guess they are just going to throw a bunch of lines together and pray to the hockey gods that it works. What else is new with this team? :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad