Post-Game Talk: Oilers Lose 3-1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
The Oilers just aren't that good.

They have some smoke and mirrors games and the occasional mirage games where they look like they are possibly improving and looking to take a step forward and then they get games like this to set them back in their rightful place.

They've been in 29th forever... and that's where they rightfully belong right now.

pretty much. they haven't 'that game' as often lately, so there's something in that, i suppose. but 'that game' is still in them, to be sure.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Oilers have one "easy" game left vs the Flames... then it's down to 10 games of death to close out the year.

I honestly doubt they'll move out of that 29th spot.

I predict a loss against the sharks, ducks ( both games), yotes, ducks again, and the kings. A win only against the flames, rangers, avs, and canucks. For god, please beat the flames and canucks though.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
it will be interesting to hear Bob 'excuses' Stauffer, followed by Jason 'rip this club' Gregor.

Stauffer sounds a bit lethargic lately. you can tell the orders from on high to be apologetic are getting to him. Inside, you know he wants to tear a strip of the club, but it would be such a career limiting move.

its inexcusable.

Not sure if anybody caught my comment in the GDT that the Oilers flat out let Scrivens down tonight. This is not what a team does.

Scrivens obviously has bad blood with Conacher. Any proper team would take note of that and rise to the occasion for that reason if nothing else. Do battle for a guy that you all owe one hell of a lot to.

Instead the Oilers proceed to flat out lay down for the next two periods and Conacher bags 2G 1A in a career night. All that at the end of the game he can rub Scrivens nose in it.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I predict a loss against the sharks, ducks ( both games), yotes, ducks again, and the kings. A win only against the flames, rangers, avs, and canucks. For god, please beat the flames and canucks though.
Flames will out work us and we will make Ortio look like Patrick Roy. Same with Lack and the Canucks. We will somehow beat the And but that's it

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
The score makes the Sabres look a lot better than the Oilers tonight but they werent. Just better puck luck. We should have been up at least 2-0 if not 4-0 half way through the game. Sabres had nothing going until they scored that second goal.

Oilers have played much worse games this year. Everybody seems to have forgotten the first two periods of the game because we came out flat to start the 3rd and lost.

You all look like fans of good teams when they lose to us. Dont worry, were still better than the Sabres LOL.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Never! A loss against the flames and canucks would kill me. :(
It's our thing though. We have a good stretch then get wrecked by bad teams.

In all seriousness though, we aren't getting close to the playoffs in the next 10 years we should aim to at least get 5 more 1st overalls just for an unbeatable record.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Lol at everybody going nuts about the Hemsky goal. They still lost the ge. Hemsky makes that team worse, not better. Now hell go back to sleep for a couple of games.

yep. Hemsky was zero pts, invisible, and was -5 in the two Sens games previous to this.
Zero mention of that by any poster on the board.

Guy shows flashes, disappears, disappears.

For a guy this talented, what 10 goals on the year 30pts? hmmm..

I smell floater..

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
It's our thing though. We have a good stretch then get wrecked by bad teams.

In all seriousness though, we aren't getting close to the playoffs in the next 10 years we should aim to at least get 5 more 1st overalls just for an unbeatable record.

I'm so ecstatic for the draft lottery.. le sigh.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Lol at everybody going nuts about the Hemsky goal. They still lost the ge. Hemsky makes that team worse, not better. Now hell go back to sleep for a couple of games.

Hilarious to see people being so mad at the Oilers tonight. We took them lightly, we lost, even though we had 36 shots and a bunch of chances. All the Sabres got were good bounces tonight.

Ya I agree. Seriously this game should have been over in the first. Those Hall and Schultz posters go in it's three zip and it's all over but the crying. I think the oilers eased up thinking it was going to be a cake walk. Sabres got some bounces and then once they got a sniff upped the intensity. The gassed stars of the Oilers couldn't match that at the end. I guess that could be on Eakins.:dunno:

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011
yep. Hemsky was zero pts, invisible, and was -5 in the two Sens games previous to this.
Zero mention of that by any poster on the board.

Guy shows flashes, disappears, disappears.

For a guy this talented, what 10 goals on the year 30pts? hmmm..

I smell floater..

Unfortunately, the goal he scored was also more entertaining than this entire hockey game we just watched. And we do watch hockey for entertainment...

So if im going to watch a horrible team, I may as well watch one with a player that can score incredible goals.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
let's see how they play out the remainder of the games. if they go 3-7-1, then we can rip 'em. 5-5-1, well, that's pretty much what they've been for a few months now.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Unfortunately, the goal he scored was also more entertaining than this entire hockey game we just watched. And we do watch hockey for entertainment...

So if im going to watch a horrible team, I may as well watch one with a player that can score incredible goals.

Well just wind up the youtubes then.

A person could watch 10-15 games in a row and not see a Hemsky goal.

The point that he actually rarely scores not being well understood.

A goal is a goal is a goal.

I look at a goal like tonight and all I can think of is EC level Defensive play.

"Oh its hemsky breaking in, I better wave my stick, stand on one leg and pretend I'm a flamingo."

jebus this is at least half the goals Hemsky scores and EXACTLY the same going around the D. You think somebody would scout that and shut it down? All you have to do is touch hemsky there and the play doesn't happen. Either D.

But both of them watching.

Last edited:

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Well at least that laugher of a performance will end Stauffer's "we're seeing improvement" and ".500 record since the awful start" drivel. Our recent "hot" streak is no more meaninful than the garbage time win streak when the Cogliano/Nilsson/Gagner line was going to lead us to the promised land.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Well at least that laugher of a performance will end Stauffer's "we're seeing improvement" and ".500 record since the awful start" drivel. Our recent "hot" streak is no more meaninful than the garbage time win streak when the Cogliano/Nilsson/Gagner line was going to lead us to the promised land.

They almost made the playoffs that year, this year's team is nowhere close. I get what you're trying to say, but Stauffer would probably be breakdancing on Rexall ice if the Oilers were actually playing as good as that 07-08 team, lol.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Ya I agree. Seriously this game should have been over in the first. Those Hall and Schultz posters go in it's three zip and it's all over but the crying. I think the oilers eased up thinking it was going to be a cake walk. Sabres got some bounces and then once they got a sniff upped the intensity. The gassed stars of the Oilers couldn't match that at the end. I guess that could be on Eakins.:dunno:

Don't totally buy it.

Allowing 36shots to the Sabres, with the worst offensive lineup I've seen anywhere, is flat out embarrassing.

Theres just zero reason for it.

Oilers were passive in own zone all night and did nothing of the work that had been recently seen trying to limit the other clubs chances. Sabres were getting way too many shots and chances. Due mostly to indifference, lack of effort and just letting Buffalo fire away being unconcerned.

If I'm Scrivens I don't know what to think after this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad