Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Easier said than done, probably doesn't guarantee you would have said no and told everyone.

It's really not uncommon at all for the victim to be sexually abused by someone who has power or authority over them. Educate yourself.
Does the video coach hold much authority? That’s what I was questioning but thanks for the education sensei

Reactions: oilers'72

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Does the video coach hold much authority? That’s what I was questioning but thanks for the education sensei
What is this victim blaming shit?

Kyle Beach was a 20 year old who had just been called up from juniors and was physically threatened with a baseball bat and told that his NHL career would be ruined if he didn't agree to non-consensual sexual activities with Aldritch.

"I would have just said no"

Wow what a god damn hero

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
We can agree to disagree. My ultimate point is, people are already upset and its an emotionally charged decision for a lot of people. I just dont think we need to ridicule and kick people on their ass on their way out when its such a complicated and murky issue.

Edit: absolutely agree that everyone should read the report and get all facts before making conclusions though. We agree fully on that .

But are they really on their way out? I mean, we had a bajillion posters make the same comments about Kane and Perry after they were signed and they still came back. They may not 'post' as actively but they are definitely still lurking at a bare min...aka following the team they said they'd drop.
I think a number of posters is this thread need to go out on a camping trip. :laugh:

I mean, I hate this hire too but Sheesh!
This. I'm surprised this is still ongoing. lol

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
We can agree to disagree. My ultimate point is, people are already upset and its an emotionally charged decision for a lot of people. I just dont think we need to ridicule and kick people on their ass on their way out when its such a complicated and murky issue.

Edit: absolutely agree that everyone should read the report and get all facts before making conclusions though. We agree fully on that .
I haven't been in this thread for days and this will likely be my last post on the subject because what's done is done and I'm personally moving on from it after this but this is the point of contention for posters that called that particular poster out. An emotionally charged post without actually looking at the facts first which is a problem in society nowadays with these initial emotionally charged reactions without actually taking the time to breathe and looking at the facts of the entire situation first before casting stones but I digress.

FTR, I made my point clear days ago that I'm not a fan of the hire for multiple reasons but when somebody comes into a thread and yells out that they're not supporting a team anymore that supports a guy who covered up "child rape" that's going to get a reaction because not only is it inaccurate, it has a lot more layers to it than simply that if the person actually took time to read the report.

I'll reiterate that I didn't like the hire because of the optics and his second half track record with the Blackhawks so I'm speaking from an unbiased perspective.
I also don't see those who are "supporting" Bowman necessarily. They're simply willing to have an open mind and give a guy a second chance while also acknowledging his F ups with the Beach situation and his GM tenure on the ice so there's nothing wrong with that either just as there's nothing wrong with somebody making the decision to not follow the team anymore as long as they're not spreading fallacies about the situation at hand.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
People vote w/ their wallets all the time. It happened far before the term "cancel culture" was ever created and used as a political lightning rod meant to distract people from actual real issues.

Again, for every hypocrite who came back, there may have been the same amount people who followed through. You never hear from them because they left.

Thats for his family to decide. Sexual assault is an extreme topic that a lot of people have have sensitivity too and he doesnt want to expose his kids too.

How is that different from the families who dont want their kids at drag shows and what not?

No one is saying youre not allowed to say your piece, but when you tell people to leave if they are upset and then get even more upset when they do actually leave, I think thats idiotic frankly .
I always thought Giggli was a gal. Just sayin'

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010

Kyle Beach was a 20 year old who had just been called up from juniors and was physically threatened with a baseball bat and told that his NHL career would be ruined if he didn't agree to non-consensual sexual activities with Aldritch.

Wow what a god damn hero
Where did you hear that there was a baseball bat? First I heard that.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Google it. I don’t feel like searching for the details of a sexual assault because some in this thread want to downplay the severity of what happened or somehow suggest Beach was responsible for it happening.
I did, don't see anything about a bat, not sure which Google you got that from.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
It was a mini baseball bat. Basically a collectible toy bat. It's in the report. I read it today as I was in the dark about what went on. I had no idea there was a three way before the alleged assault. Strange story. Also Aldrich is a dead ringer for Choda boy.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
All this vitrol towards Bowman and yet he's still liked more than Ken Holland...

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
You constantly conflate things. Posting here that I will not encourage my kids to follow the Oilers after this, and then engaging in discussion on it, is not the same as watching and supporting the Oilers. Please learn how to distinguish between different things.

I corrected the age error and in fact did not cry about that but apologized.

The report Stauffer has shilled on to say Bowman is fine includes a ton of damning information. He participated in the cover up for 10 years. His boss saying he would handle it doesn't excuse 10 subsequent years of inaction.

Moreover, this report is likely the best possible version of events since it was made for the Blackhawks. This evidence would be given very little weight in a court given its lack of independence.

See here. https://www.reddit.com/r/EdmontonOilers/s/hdnDpAk0Rx
FWIW I agree with you but you're speaking to the wrong crowd here. The Oilers are number 1 in people's hearts here so when you post something saying that you're done with the team you're going to get flack for it. Just comes with the territory.

I for one support your decision if that's truly what you think is best and I also understand it can't be easy. Probably makes it even harder when the people with whom you used to cheer on the Oilers are now turning their backs because you disagree with the organization's direction. Tribalism at its finest I suppose.

It's a murky issue and no one has to approve of whether or not you're a fan. Every individual has their own unique relationship with the team and if the Oilers crossed a line for you, I think it's totally understandable and wish you well. On some level I probably wish I had that sort of conviction but I know the fandom is too strong for me and as a result I'm doing quite a lot of mental gymnastics to accept this news.

On another note, I'm sorry to hear about your family's personal struggles and I hope you are all managing everything okay.

Reactions: ozhenson

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Where did you hear that there was a baseball bat? First I heard that.
I've never heard of the baseball bat thing either.

It was a mini baseball bat. Basically a collectible toy bat. It's in the report. I read it today as I was in the dark about what went on. I had no idea there was a three way before the alleged assault. Strange story. Also Aldrich is a dead ringer for Choda boy.
Not sure I'd want to be clubbed with one of these.

1722982747354.png

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
I'm morally outraged now that "children" are being expected to play pro hockey. What is the world coming to? ;)

Yeah, the hyperbole stated by defining an adult as a child. Kyle Beach was age 20 when the assault occurred. Just saying.Not absolving but not sure where "people who cover up child rape" comes into it.
The problem is most people are misinformed on the whole situation.

Kyle beach never told bowman or any of the front office he was raped. Kyle beach himself said this. He was put off by the behavior of the pschologist/mental skills coach gary that he didnt truat him and didnt tell full story.

. So no bowman nor anyone else covered up child rape. According to beech, they were just told aldrich was trying to proposition him which is still a fireable offense and still should have been acted on.

 Ncdonough

Kyle beach never told bowman or any of the front office he was raped. Kyle beach himself said this. He was put off by the behavior of the pschologist/mental skills coach gary that he didnt truat him and didnt tell full story.

. So no bowman nor anyone else covered up child rape. According to beech, they were just told aldrich was trying to proposition him which is still a fireable offense and still should have been acted on.

McDonough the superior to the others told them he was handling the situation and thats the last they thought of it. Mcdonough was bowmans superior. He figured mcdonough truly was investigating the claim which he though to be just sexual harrassment and not sexual abuse.l since beech didnt tell full story.

When aldrich was dismissed after the cup he probably figured that was the result and didnt question how long it took.bbhe didnt know that mcdonough lied and literally sat on it without saying a word to hr until the day after the cup.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

 Ncdonough

McDonough the superior to the others told them he was handling the situation and thats the last they thought of it. Mcdonough was bowmans superior. He figured mcdonough truly was investigating the claim which he though to be just sexual harrassment and not sexual abuse.l since beech didnt tell full story.

When aldrich was dismissed after the cup he probably figured that was the result and didnt question how long it took.bbhe didnt know that mcdonough lied and literally sat on it without saying a word to hr until the day after the cup.
I agree with most of your post but I disagree with the bolded.
There cant be an expectation to act on an accusation alone.
Or maybe you can expand what you mean by 'acted on'.
Its possible I may be misinterpreting something.

Too many people these days make false accusations so an investigation has to be done in this situation to figure out the truth.
That takes time and when a team is on a Stanley Cup run all resposibilities dont stop to faciliate an investigation between team members. One of which is claiming advances were made and the other is claiming the encounter was mutual. Clearly is was inapproprite regardless of who was telling the truth but aside from that it was going to take some dedicated time to investigate things.
The reality of the team situation on that Cup run just means that things are going to take longer to sort out and therefore the process is more likely to become fragmented.
Mistakes are more likely to be made.
This isnt directed at you (as i think we are on the same page) but this situation isnt as black and white/cut and dried as some posters like to suggest.

I have to admit I am surprised that all this is still being discussed. At some point we need to move on IMO.

Last edited:

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
I agree with most of your post but I disagree with the bolded.
There cant be an expectation to act on an accusation alone.
Or maybe you can expand what you mean by 'acted on'.
Its possible I may be misinterpreting something.

Too many people these days make false accusations so an investigation has to be done in this situation to figure out the truth.
That takes time and when a team is on a Stanley Cup run all resposibilities dont stop to faciliate an investigation between team members. One of which is claiming advances were made and the other is claiming the encounter was mutual. Clearly is was inapproprite regardless of who was telling the truth but aside from that it was going to take some dedicated time to investigate things.
The reality of the team situation on that Cup run just means that things are going to take longer to sort out and therefore the process is more likely to become fragmented.
Mistakes are more likely to be made.
This isnt directed at you (as i think we are on the same page) but this situation isnt as black and white/cut and dried as some posters like to suggest.

I have to admit I am surprised that all this is still being discussed. At some point we need to move on IMO.
Yes an investigation has to take place. When i said it needed to be acted on i didnt auto mean fired right away but an investigation of some sorts needs to start right away. The fact of the matter is. Mcdonough waited weeks until he told HR and he only told them after another employee also made a complaint about aldrich during the cup celebration. Aldrich was then told he would be facing an investigation by HR and he chose to resign instead.

The issue was Mcdonough waited for weeks before he even told HR who presumably are the ones who would investigate the claims and should have been first people he notified instead of discussing it in a meeting with quenneville, mcisaac, bowman, and chevy without even telling Human Resources.

Quennevilles comments about not wanting to hear about this distraction coz hes focused on a cup look bad optically, but ultimately mcdonough the one who was in charge said he would take care of it.

While it took several weeks, aldrich eventually resigned so bowman and everyone else probably figured that was the end result of an investigation that took multiple weeks that Mcdonough did and he took charge rather than the truth that Mcdonough was sitting on his hands the whole time those several weeks and withholding it from HR until another employee complained during cup celebration and aldrich resigned as soon as he heard there would be investigation.

They also should have pulled aldrich aside and forbade him from having contact with beech while they were investigating the claims which they didnt do because mcd was just sitting on the i fo instead of actually investigating. Granted he didnt think the situation was as serious as sexual assualt and was just unwarranted sexual advances, but he still botched how he handled it.

Notably Mcdonough vanished from hockey and the public eye some years earlier and never spoke publically or answered questions even through a lawyer or spokesperson while bowman and quenneville(while he did allegedly make unsavory tone deaf comments) both were left to take the heat for the actions of their superior because people wanted blood and Mcdonough was long gone so someone else had to pay for him

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yes an investigation has to take place. When i said it needed to be acted on i didnt auto mean fired right away but an investigation of some sorts needs to start right away. The fact of the matter is. Mcdonough waited weeks until he told HR and he only told them after another employee also made a complaint about aldrich during the cup celebration. Aldrich was then told he would be facing an investigation by HR and he chose to resign instead.

The issue was Mcdonough waited for weeks before he even told HR who presumably are the ones who would investigate the claims and should have been first people he notified instead of discussing it in a meeting with quenneville, mcisaac, bowman, and chevy without even telling Human Resources.

Quennevilles comments about not wanting to hear about this distraction coz hes focused on a cup look bad optically, but ultimately mcdonough the one who was in charge said he would take care of it.

While it took several weeks, aldrich eventually resigned so bowman and everyone else probably figured that was the end result of an investigation that took multiple weeks that Mcdonough did and he took charge rather than the truth that Mcdonough was sitting on his hands the whole time those several weeks and withholding it from HR until another employee complained during cup celebration and aldrich resigned as soon as he heard there would be investigation.

They also should have pulled aldrich aside and forbade him from having contact with beech while they were investigating the claims which they didnt do because mcd was just sitting on the i fo instead of actually investigating. Granted he didnt think the situation was as serious as sexual assualt and was just unwarranted sexual advances, but he still botched how he handled it.

Notably Mcdonough vanished from hockey and the public eye some years earlier and never spoke publically or answered questions even through a lawyer or spokesperson while bowman and quenneville(while he did allegedly make unsavory tone deaf comments) both were left to take the heat for the actions of their superior because people wanted blood and Mcdonough was long gone so someone else had to pay for him

Those points actually add a lot of context to the situation that a lot of people don't understand.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I was wondering -- anyone else think it is very likely that Stee-Bow (I still dont like it) had a hand in the Arvidsson and Skinner deals.

I know Jackson said no but sometimes the way the league works its like everything is known months in advance---peoples families are moving etc.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver

Wow what a god damn hero
I’m not blaming him, he’s still the victim in the situation. But idc about a career that much, take the bat to me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad