Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Im talking as a whole.

You said its not required to announce that you are leaving. And the other poster said coming on here to proclaiming you dont support this decision and want to walk away is making a silly "moral stand".

My point is - why is one opinion a considered performative, but the opposite opinion isnt?

Coming on here and proclaiming you support this decision and support Bowman/Oilers against "cancel culture" is also taking a moral stand and "not required" right?
I'm of course not responsible for what others post even if in agreement, generally.

This is a fanboard. Correct? The missive of being here at all is about being a fan of the team or org or players in some way. The mere act of posting is alleging being a fan. The action of posting isn't posturing or for some moral effect. However the act of denouncing and decrying never again, and can't be a fan after this....that is posturing. Correct?

Leaving, most commonly, and respectfully, is just usually a matter of no longer posting. All one has to do is cease posting. Theres no requirement, lol, to announce it.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
And I think its silly to come on here to declare your support for Bowman - but it doesnt mean both opinions are extremely valid and are coming from a good place.

The issue is extremely murky and complicated and due to that, we should give people some grace with how people react. Both ways. Just because you support the team/bowman doesnt mean your pro-SA and in the same way, just because you are walking away/upset doesnt mean you're a moral grandstander.

No, but going on a public forum declaring your exit on moral grounds is the definition of moral grandstanding.

Like most I've seen that are putting their hands up to announce they're "done," this poster seems to have a loose or non-existent understanding of what they're actually grandstanding about. "Covering up child rape!!!" Come on.

If you want to exit yourself and your family from any form of entertainment or happiness or celebration derived from Oiler games, at least know what the f*** you're talking about.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
I'm of course not responsible for what others post even if in agreement, generally.

This is a fanboard. Correct? The missive of being here at all is about being a fan of the team or org or players in some way. The mere act of posting is alleging being a fan. The action of posting isn't posturing or for some moral effect. However the act of denouncing and decrying never again, and can't be a fan after this....that is posturing. Correct?

I dont think its posturing at all. I think people are wrestling hard with their feelings and their love of the team. Thats extremely fair and I think should be expected by large portions of the fan-base.

No, but going on a public forum declaring your exit on moral grounds is the definition of moral grandstanding.

Like most I've seen that are putting their hands up to announce they're "done," this poster seems to have a loose or non-existent understanding of what they're actually grandstanding about. "Covering up child rape!!!" Come on.

If you want to exit yourself and your family from any form of entertainment or happiness or celebration derived from Oiler games, at least know what the f*** you're talking about.

But Im asking, why is coming on here and declaring your support on moral grounds not grandstanding?

• Haha
Reactions: BleedingOil

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I dont think its posturing at all. I think people are wrestling hard with their feelings and their love of the team. Thats extremely fair and I think should be expected by large portions of the fan-base.

But Im asking, why is coming on here and declaring your support on moral grounds not grandstanding?

Who's declaring their support on moral grounds?

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
With the executive hiring of people who cover up child rape my interest in the Oilers is quickly approaching zero. Why should I encourage my two young sons to be interested in this organization and become fans? What does it teach them about leadership? What does it teach them about their value as children relative to the meat grinder of profit-driven corporatism?

Jackson can screw off.
iu

OH, and READ THE REPORT AND THE LETTER!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

I'm morally outraged now that "children" are being expected to play pro hockey. What is the world coming to? ;)

Yeah, the hyperbole stated by defining an adult as a child. Kyle Beach was age 20 when the assault occurred. Just saying.Not absolving but not sure where "people who cover up child rape" comes into it.

Reactions: oilers'72

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Isnt anyone whos supporting Bowman doing so? They believe morally he should be given a 2nd chance due to their perception of the events that took place.

I don't think anyone is "supporting" Bowman. I certainly would have preferred a different hire.

As pointed out, nearly everyone that is taking the moral stand and are "done" also don't appear to actually know in any detail what actually occurred or has been reported/investigated. Complete bullshit like "he covered up child rape!!!" becomes narrative for people too lazy to actually read into it creating social panic around the hockey team over something that isn't anywhere in the realm of truth.

I wish that they didn't hire him to begin with so that this nonsense wasn't a concern, but unfortunately that isn't the case.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

The OP claiming that Stan Bowman covered up "child rape" probably isn't fair. It isn't accurate either.

Despite you thinking its extremely fair view. It isn't from the start.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Likely he saw the video coach was in a position of power and the video coach told him he can make a case to show why some people might deserve less playing time over him
I probably would have said no and told everyone. But hey, he was a young guy and probably didn’t know any better.

Reactions: McWeber

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Maybe while he’s taking a break from the oilers with this moral grandstand, he can teach his kids to read. Maybe even start with the report on this case.

Or, instil the principles of intellectual maturity that create the understanding that it's possible to completely and fundamentally disagree with a decision your team has made on moral grounds while still being able to cheer for your team.

Only person hurt by being "done" with the team on this basis is the person that has decided to not enjoy Oiler hockey anymore, everyone else will move on. Unless the feeling of patting yourself on the back for a moral deed well done exceeds that of watching and celebrating games with thousands of people.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Sure can't wait until this thread is deleted

I understand those who have made the decision to move on from being fans of the team, and are letting off steam. I also hope those now former fans understand that posters who are still fans of the team don’t want to be reading about this issue all year long, and will move along once they’ve finished venting.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I understand those who have made the decision to move on from being fans of the team, and are letting off steam. I also hope those now former fans understand that posters who are still fans of the team don’t want to be reading about this issue all year long, and will move along once they’ve finished venting.
I agree. :nod:

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
The OP claiming that Stan Bowman covered up "child rape" probably isn't fair. It isn't accurate either.

Despite you thinking its extremely fair view. It isn't from the start.

You are misquoting me. I said its extremely fair to be upset and emotional about SA when it relates to something you have likely loved your whole life.

Last edited:

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
I don't think anyone is "supporting" Bowman. I certainly would have preferred a different hire.

As pointed out, nearly everyone that is taking the moral stand and are "done" also don't appear to actually know in any detail what actually occurred or has been reported/investigated. Complete bullshit like "he covered up child rape!!!" becomes narrative for people too lazy to actually read into it creating social panic around the hockey team over something that isn't anywhere in the realm of truth.

I wish that they didn't hire him to begin with so that this nonsense wasn't a concern, but unfortunately that isn't the case.

We can agree to disagree. My ultimate point is, people are already upset and its an emotionally charged decision for a lot of people. I just dont think we need to ridicule and kick people on their ass on their way out when its such a complicated and murky issue.

Edit: absolutely agree that everyone should read the report and get all facts before making conclusions though. We agree fully on that .

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Bowman knew enough but didn't do enough about it that the team fired him for it. I wouldn't want someone like that in my organization.
I am loathe to get into this again but....What did Bowman really know?
That 1 adult reported his version of an event and the other person invloved had a completely different version.
Thats essentially what he knew. Its important to note that this happened during a Stanley Cup run and his boss said he would get to the bottom of things. Bowman agreed to that.
As I said about this earlier the only realisitc problem that falls at Bowmans feet is that once the Stanley Cup run was over he didnt follow up with his boss. With all that was going on at the time its not that crazy that he would overlook that.
Thats about it. Bowman didnt followup with his Boss on the matter.
Does that oversight mean that Bowman deserves the vitriol he is receiving on here?
I dont think it does.

Last edited:

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

Yeah. I like how he now covered up child rape. Did you do ANY research @Giggli G ?

Bowman knew enough but didn't do enough about it that the team fired him for it. I wouldn't want someone like that in my organization.
Nice alt.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I probably would have said no and told everyone. But hey, he was a young guy and probably didn’t know any better.

Easier said than done, probably doesn't guarantee you would have said no and told everyone.

It's really not uncommon at all for the victim to be sexually abused by someone who has power or authority over them. Educate yourself.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1