Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
No, read it just fine. Suggesting that those defending Bowman are hypocrites because in your estimation, they would also support tougher sentencing for crime is by definition insinuating that Bowman committed a crime. Not the same things.

lol no

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
From the report…

• During the late evening of May 23, several hours after Game 4 and the meeting in McDonough’s office, Gary recalled speaking to Bowman by telephone about the Aldrich situation. Phone records reflect a 19-minute phone call between Bowman and Gary on May 23 starting at 9:06 p.m. Gary recalled that he spoke to Bowman to confirm that the Blackhawks were going to pursue an investigation. When interviewed, Gary said that he knew John Doe was hurting and he wanted to confirm the Blackhawks were following through in a timely fashion. Gary recalled Bowman stating that the group in the meeting discussed the issue and that they “will pursue this,” including by questioning Aldrich, and they would bring it to “an ending.” Gary recalled feeling reassured by Bowman during the phone call. Bowman did not recall this phone call, but did not deny that it could have happened and could have involved a discussion regarding Aldrich

Read the report…that’s your take right? He didn’t know- that’s your take right?

Nope- do you and then cover it up for 10 years?

Read the report…

Bowman recalled that, during the May 23, 2010 meeting, either MacIsaac or Gary stated that there was an incident between John Doe and Aldrich in which Aldrich had tried to “climb into bed” with John Doe one night at Aldrich’s apartment

Shall I keep going?

Bowman was also coached by his attorneys. The classic response “I do not recall” occurs thoroughly the report.

Shall I keep going?
What I gather from those paragraphs is carefully worded. The real honest truth might be in there, or it could be 5 levels worse.

What matters now is what was (and continues to be) done to reconcile with the affected people, and educate people on what needs to be done to deal with serious allegations.

The NHL allowed these people back into the league, and I don’t imagine it was a light decision.

Disclaimer: I was not a fan of this hire. I was upset about the scandal, and continue to reflect on the culture of hockey (players, coaches, etc).

However, as a people criticizing the move, we have to be open to hearing people out regarding what they have done to reconcile. We have to lay judgement on the whole story.

Arguing about intent/ meaning/ truth from a report like this is a great way to subjectively interpret wording. Differences in perception ultimately divides people!

Reactions: bellagiobob

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
What I gather from those paragraphs is carefully worded. The real honest truth might be in there, or it could be 5 levels worse.

What matters now is what was (and continues to be) done to reconcile with the affected people, and educate people on what needs to be done to deal with serious allegations.

The NHL allowed these people back into the league, and I don’t imagine it was a light decision.

Disclaimer: I was not a fan of this hire. I was upset about the scandal, and continue to reflect on the culture of hockey (players, coaches, etc).

However, as a people criticizing the move, we have to be open to hearing people out regarding what they have done to reconcile. We have to lay judgement on the whole story.

Arguing about intent/ meaning/ truth from a report like this is a great way to subjectively interpret wording. Differences in perception ultimately divides people!
Thank you for the thoughtful reply.

Beech was John Doe #1. There was a John Doe #2 and the high school kid. Giving credit where credit is due- someone posted a great breakdown on Reddit along with the below video.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Likely he saw the video coach was in a position of power and the video coach told him he can make a case to show why some people might deserve less playing time over him
Yeah like that's such a dumb question, any NHL coach holding a player in high regard could get you a shot, especially when you're as close as Beach was to the NHL.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Now get Dallas f***ing Eakins to a 10-year contract and dive for Five stanley cups in a row!

Uindicator

Sep 27, 2010
Yeah like that's such a dumb question, any NHL coach holding a player in high regard could get you a shot, especially when you're as close as Beach was to the NHL.
to the point where you would? .... ya no, any straight grown man would knock him out , because if anyone asked why I knocked out the video coach, id tell them the truth, its that simple. I doubt there was a forcible rape going on.
anyways this hire is such shameful move for the club, any cup won will be stained in my mind , there are much better GM candidates out there. This guy is gonna luck out once again by inheriting a warm Ferrari, and later trade away our best assets for nothing.

• Wow
Reactions: Stoneman89

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I think JJ had this hire in mind, early, like how he had Knoblauch picked out as his guy before he even got the Oilers job. Wonder how far his relationship goes back with Bowman. We are to beleive an extensive GM search happened, but before that apparently got off the ground the rumours were already flying that Bowman was going to be the pick. The rumour mongers must have have been tipped off that Bowman and JJ were talking, makes me wonder if they were talking this whole time and Bowman has already been giving input on what he sees in relation to the Oilers.

Reactions: oilers'72

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
With the executive hiring of people who cover up child rape my interest in the Oilers is quickly approaching zero. Why should I encourage my two young sons to be interested in this organization and become fans? What does it teach them about leadership? What does it teach them about their value as children relative to the meat grinder of profit-driven corporatism?

Jackson can screw off.

Good to see you'll be moving on then.

See you November 1st.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
With the executive hiring of people who cover up child rape my interest in the Oilers is quickly approaching zero. Why should I encourage my two young sons to be interested in this organization and become fans? What does it teach them about leadership? What does it teach them about their value as children relative to the meat grinder of profit-driven corporatism?

Jackson can screw off.
you followed this team despite the Oilers having a player, then coach and then GM who killed another human being (MacT)...and that's ok

but this is the final straw eh

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
you followed this team despite the Oilers having a player, then coach and then GM who killed another human being (MacT)...and that's ok

but this is the final straw eh
Good to see you'll be moving on then.

See you November 1st.

Why do you guys have to be dicks? Hes sticking to his moral line in the sand just like you guys are. If anything, we should be commending him for sticking to his guns and giving up something he likely loves to try to set a good example for his kids.

Every single time someone expressed concern, there was 10 guys saying "Just dont watch then" and when some one does walkaway, the same guys circle back and kick him on the ass on the way out. Pretty wild lol

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Why do you guys have to be dicks? Hes sticking to his moral line in the sand just like you guys are. If anything, we should be commending him for sticking to his guns and giving up something he likely loves to try to set a good example for his kids.

Every single time someone expressed concern, there was 10 guys saying "Just dont watch then" and when some one does walkaway, the same guys circle back and kick him on the ass on the way out. Pretty wild lol
Wouldn't a person be sticking to their guns if they actually did that? The meme around here is people saying "I have zero interest now and will never post again because the OIlers hired X or obtained X.

With several of the posters saying such things having done that serially whenever a Kane, Perry, MacT or Bowman is brought in.

Further its the kind of overreaction that the same individuals apply to cancel culture. Good luck supporting nothing and eating nothing because everything is contemptible.

Reactions: McBooya42

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

He's not going to do that though, and not really sure what's so commendable about pronouncing your moral authority on a hockey forum that he almost certainly will break when the Oilers are sitting in 1st place.

Believe it or not, it is possible to set a good example for your kids without practicing a form of self flagellation because your hockey team hired a guy you don't like.

"Dad can we watch the Oilers game like everyone else in the City is doing?"

"No son, they hired Stan Bowman. We will watch Football instead, or actually they aren't hard enough on woman abusers, but maybe the NBA!, but they have players flashing guns around.....uhhh table tennis. We're morally allowed to watch table tennis."

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
He's not going to do that though, and not really sure what's so commendable about pronouncing your moral authority on a hockey forum that he almost certainly will break when the Oilers are sitting in 1st place.

Believe it or not, it is possible to set a good example for your kids without practicing a form of self flagellation because your hockey team hired a guy you don't like.

Who cares? Hes doing what he thinks is best for kids, why does it bug you so much? I can never understand people being mad at people upset over a clearly murky situation.

You also have no idea if he will come back or not. Just the way you have free reign to pronounce your moral authority that we should give him a second chance, he has the same right.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Who cares? Hes doing what he thinks is best for kids, why does it bug you so much? I can never understand people being mad at people upset over a clearly murky situation.

You also have no idea if he will come back or not. Just the way you have free reign to pronounce your moral authority that we should give him a second chance, he has the same right.

And I'm allowed to express my opinion that a "moral stand" like this is silly, counter productive, and laughable.

Can envision the scene on the playground now:

"You guys see that Oiler game last night!? McDavid is amazing, I think they're going to win the cup!"

"Not allowed, because my Dad's morals says we aren't able to support the Oilers anymore because they hired Stan Bowman."

Sounds like a lot of fun in that household.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Wouldn't a person be sticking to their guns if they actually did that? The meme around here is people saying "I have zero interest now and will never post again because the OIlers hired X or obtained X.

With several of the posters saying such things having done that serially whenever a Kane, Perry, MacT or Bowman is brought in.

Further its the kind of overreaction that the same individuals apply to cancel culture. Good luck supporting nothing and eating nothing because everything is contemptible.
People vote w/ their wallets all the time. It happened far before the term "cancel culture" was ever created and used as a political lightning rod meant to distract people from actual real issues.

Again, for every hypocrite who came back, there may have been the same amount people who followed through. You never hear from them because they left.

And I'm allowed to express my opinion that a "moral stand" like this is silly, counter productive, and laughable.

Can envision the scene on the playground now:

"You guys see that Oiler game last night!? McDavid is amazing, I think they're going to win the cup!"

"Not allowed, because my Dad's morals says we aren't able to support the Oilers anymore because they hired Stan Bowman."

Thats for his family to decide. Sexual assault is an extreme topic that a lot of people have have sensitivity too and he doesnt want to expose his kids too.

How is that different from the families who dont want their kids at drag shows and what not?

No one is saying youre not allowed to say your piece, but when you tell people to leave if they are upset and then get even more upset when they do actually leave, I think thats idiotic frankly .

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

Nobody is mad about it. Just seems not required to announce you're never going watch or allow your kids to watch because Stan Bowman was hired. Fans say stuff like this and yet continue to be around posting.

At least this poster didn't start a thread to say this, as others have.

Believe me I get the "voting with wallets" thing. I stopped paying for pro sports a long long time ago. But thats just refusal to be shafted by overpriced nature of todays pro sports. I'm not a good consumer either. ;)

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Jackson can screw off.

Covered up child rape?

Talk about jumping off a cliff with that potentially libellous allegation.

Maybe you should read the report <—— posted for the millionth f***ing time.

Your a little late to the moral grandstanding party.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Nobody is mad about it. Just seems not required to announce you're never going watch or allow your kids to watch because Stan Bowman was hired. Fans say stuff like this and yet continue to be around posting.

At least this poster didn't start a thread to say this, as others have.

Believe me I get the "voting with wallets" thing. I stopped paying for pro sports a long long time ago. But thats just refusal to be shafted by overpriced nature of todays pro sports. I'm not a good consumer either. ;)

Why are people allowed to come on here and proudly proclaim they will continue supporting oilers and bowman not moral grandstanding but saying you are leaving is?

I just think is a legitimate, serious and complicated issues. This is not just a guy saying the wrong thing and getting "cancelled". This issue is surround sexual assault - people are going to have intense feelings about it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Why are people allowed to come on here and proudly proclaim they will continue supporting oilers and bowman not moral grandstanding but saying you are leaving is?

I just think is a legitimate, serious and complicated issues. This is not just a guy saying the wrong thing and getting "cancelled". This issue is surround sexual assault - people are going to have intense feelings about it.
All the posts, within reason, are allowed. Which posts have not been allowed?

I didn't use the term "moral grandstanding". I didn't even reply to the original post.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
All the posts, within reason, are allowed. Which posts have not been allowed?

I didn't use the term "moral grandstanding". I didn't even reply to the original post.

Im talking as a whole.

You said its not required to announce that you are leaving. And the other poster said coming on here to proclaiming you dont support this decision and want to walk away is making a silly "moral stand".

My point is - why is one opinion a considered performative, but the opposite opinion isnt?

Coming on here and proclaiming you support this decision and support Bowman/Oilers against "cancel culture" is also taking a moral stand and "not required" right?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
People vote w/ their wallets all the time. It happened far before the term "cancel culture" was ever created and used as a political lightning rod meant to distract people from actual real issues.

Again, for every hypocrite who came back, there may have been the same amount people who followed through. You never hear from them because they left.

Thats for his family to decide. Sexual assault is an extreme topic that a lot of people have have sensitivity too and he doesnt want to expose his kids too.

How is that different from the families who dont want their kids at drag shows and what not?

No one is saying youre not allowed to say your piece, but when you tell people to leave if they are upset and then get even more upset when they do actually leave, I think thats idiotic frankly .

Unless Stan Bowman is putting on a story time about how to cover up sexual assault charges for the kids to watch, I don't think these are even in the same stratosphere of the same thing.

I know it's for his family to decide, I just think it's silly.

Screenshot by Snip My on Aug 1, 2024 at 1.02.01 PM.png

• Haha

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Unless Stan Bowman is putting on a story time about how to cover up sexual assault charges for the kids to watch, I don't think these are even in the same stratosphere of the same thing.

I know it's for his family to decide, I just think it's silly.

View attachment 898617

And I think its silly to come on here to declare your support for Bowman - but it doesnt mean both opinions are extremely valid and are coming from a good place.

The issue is extremely murky and complicated and due to that, we should give people some grace with how people react. Both ways. Just because you support the team/bowman doesnt mean your pro-SA and in the same way, just because you are walking away/upset doesnt mean you're a moral grandstander.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00