Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I think you keep downplaying and underestimating how many fans are against this move.

I’ve seen polling across multiple social media platforms and it continues to indicate the majority of fans who actively follow the sport do not support this hire.

And make no mistake, the noise does get to the players. How could it not? If they don’t see it why would Jackson go private on Twitter?

That’s not really an answer tbf

Isn’t any up-and-coming GM easy to control? I would argue Bowman is probably less of a “yes-man” than your typical candidate because he has way more experience. It’s easier to envision him butting heads with JJ than someone who owes their entire GM career to him.
Not downplaying the controversy and everyone's right to an opinion. But social media is increasing used as an outrage machine for what is a sliver of the population. It's challenged to be a forum for rational thought and dialogue. Especially with complex, nuanced matters that often breakdown into reactive polarized, entrenched positions. Without context should be no surprise that social media polls would be highly tilting that way. For a large number of hockey fans and beyond this is another chance to slag a rival and pile on this franchise's openness to take on second and last chance controversial people who are good at hockey.

As a big business, the Oilers have been great at maximizing revenue and enjoy the luxury of a largely bulletproof brand within monopolistic conditions. It is this privileged position that enables them to take this significantly controversial hire. Now, they've actually been pretty good under the glare of a 24 hour hockey market with redeeming misbehaving players from other hockey markets: MacTavish, Don Murdoch, Kassian, Kane, Perry. Do your bad stuff where hockey is an afterthought and work through redemption where it does matters. It's now their organization's responsibility and Bowman's to live up to this highly controversial decision. They've bet on redemption and it seems another example of Jackson's thorough information based decision making through his short tenure.

We can all agree sexual assault and predation is gross. The Blackhawks organization was woefully inadequately prepared and bungled its dealing of it. All involved share culpability and have paid a professional and personal price. How much, how long, enough punishment or not is a personal opinion that is within everyone's right to hold. In broader societal context evolving norms are bringing this issue out of the darkness with better tools, structures and processes to identify and deal with sexual predators within society broadly.

In hockey context Bowman has landed within the hottest seat in hockey and within an organization that has no where to hide from this decision. All are on the clock in terms of their actions to do better and lead in regard to this societal issue and in moving this team's business of winning over the goal line to a Stanley Cup victory. No where to hide in Edmonton.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Took some time to really think about this hiring to really try and be objective about it. In terms of the hockey side of things I think you need to go way back to JJ being hired. All I heard was people complaining saying this is McDavid running the team and hiring people he knows, not much faith was put into JJ doing anything relevant at that point.

JJ hires Knob and most people are freaking out saying it's another McDavid hire and this rookie coach isn't going to do anything Woody couldn't do and Woody wasn't the problem. Knob helps turn our horrific start around from 31st in the league to fighting for top spot in our division. He was also really impressive in the playoffs, making decisions and moves that most coaches wouldn't do.

JJ also gets Coffey to join the coaching staff. There was some rumblings about this and I heard everything from Coffey doesn't know how to play defense, another old boys club move to he is just a figure head that just likes to party/drink it up. I myself was questioning this move and man did Coffey really turn our defense around. We had one of the most underrated defense and our stats were pretty nice. I was very happy to hear Coffey was going to be back this year.

So at this point everyone is pretty happy with the moves JJ has made even though at the time of the moves there was a lot of doubt. Then the offseason comes and JJ makes some incredible signings and actually makes the team better then they were going into the playoffs last season. At this point JJ is being praised and everyone is ready to hand him the keys to the city.

So then JJ goes and hires Bowman as the GM and many, many people freak out. I know there is more to this than the hockey side why people are upset but I will just stick to the hockey side of things. I will say on the surface looking at many of the moves Bowman has made he could be considered pretty average or slightly above average. A lot of people also bring up the state of the team when he left which is true. When I think about possible GM hires, Bowman is one of the few GM's in the league that actually GM'd a team that was a consistent playoff team with the threat to win and actually won multiple cups in the post lockout era. He did make some mistakes in the moves he made throughout that time to try and keep the Hawks a cup contender for as long as they were. Not many GM's have been in his position to see if they would make the same mistakes as he did. Part of being human is making and learning from your mistakes, so hopefully he can do that with the Oilers.

I think JJ is a very intelligent person and has a plan for this team. I would think in his discussion with Bowman not only would they have discussed the successes Bowman had with the Hawks but also his failures and what he would do differently and how he would apply that to the Oilers organization. JJ wouldn't hire anyone that didn't have the same vision for this team for years to come. So though I know many people are still not happy with this decision, I am going to put some faith in JJ as he has come out on top of so many of his moves even though they may not have been popular at the time.
Excellent post. JJ isn't making this hire just because he wants to piss off the hockey world and especially his team's fanbase. Maybe he made the wrong choice, but IMO he likely chose Bowman because of his experience, his ability to negotiate contracts on a team with a couple of big contracts leading the way and how he conducts himself. JJ will have worked with most GM's I would think. He would have a better feel for them than most people would.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
This is a dumb move that anyone with a brain should have avoided.

Bad hockey move.
PR nightmare.

No reason to do it.

No arguable gain and all sorts of pain.

High risk no reward.

Far far far more negatives than positives.

Even bad managerial types have basic tools to weight risk/rewards and pros/cons. A 5 year old could quickly do an equation of this situation and come to the conclusion it's a bad move. A genius could break it down in over a thousand ways to show how terrible the decision was.

It's so bad I would think JJ has put his own newly minted job on the block for anything less than a Stanley Cup this season.

Anything less than a dynasty as it stands today could be seen as a failure.

I am not a particularly driven person to judge something like this and quit watching/supporting the team but I am seriously considering canceling my cable and at least taking a step or two back. Maybe only follow the playoffs assuming the Oilers can make it.

If I am seriously considering this I have to think this will actually impact Oilers revenue as others obviously care far more about this than I do.

It's an insanely bad decision.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Excellent post. JJ isn't making this hire just because he wants to piss off the hockey world and especially his team's fanbase. Maybe he made the wrong choice, but IMO he likely chose Bowman because of his experience, his ability to negotiate contracts on a team with a couple of big contracts leading the way and how he conducts himself. JJ will have worked with most GM's I would think. He would have a better feel for them than most people would.
All the stuff mentioned in your post and everyone gets an education... think of it like a tax.

Bad hockey move.
PR nightmare.

No reason to do it.

High risk no reward.

Even bad managerial types have basic tools to weight risk/rewards and pros/cons. A 5 year old could quickly do an equation of this situation and come to the conclusion it's a bad move. A genius could break it down in over a thousand ways to show how terrible the decision was.

It's so bad I would think JJ has put his own newly minted job on the block for anything less than a Stanley Cup this season.

I am not a particularly driven person to judge something like this and quit watching/supporting the team but I am seriously considering canceling my cable and at least taking a step or two back. Maybe only follow the playoffs assuming the Oilers can make it.

If I am seriously considering this I have to think this will actually impact Oilers revenue as others obviously care far more about this than I do.

On the surface, yes.

Did you read the report?

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
“Read the report bros”

I know, reading is tough and takes a little bit of time. The fact that reading something and learning things is comically being tailored to be an insult here tells us all we need to know.

The horror of people taking the time to educate themselves before barfing out nonsense and flying off the handle.
My goodness, it sounds like I made a good choice with ignoring that poster.

Reactions: oilers'72

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Bad hockey move.
PR nightmare.

No reason to do it.

High risk no reward.

I do wonder if Katz had some input in this hire and/or pushed for Bowman. It just seems very convenient that the last 3 GMs (hockey wise) fit the same MO of "proven, recent-ish Cup winner, so that must mean he's good".

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
I do wonder if Katz had some input in this hire and/or pushed for Bowman. It just seems very convenient that the last 3 GMs (hockey wise) fit the same MO of "proven, recent-ish Cup winner, so that must mean he's good".
I get that feeling as well. These guys seem drawn to someone who has done it before. They're oblivious to the fact that statistically it's much easier to do it a first time than repeat with another organization.

As well Bowman has been out of work for 2 years he's coming in awfully rusty.

Hopefully this is a very short show me term contract. No way does he deserve the 5 year gm Bob Nicholson special.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
man, you have real tough time with reading comprehension...reddit and HFBoards aren't "socials":laugh: ...
and no, most people aren't on twitter

The perpetually online view “socials” at a much higher level of importance than others. Anecdotal, yes, but having spoken with a lot of Oilers fans that aren’t a part of our perpetually online group (lol), the reaction to this hire is not nearly as visceral.

Reactions: oilers'72 and Oil53

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
No need to wonder. JJ was asked and confirmed he spoke to Katz about this.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I get that feeling as well. These guys seem drawn to someone who has done it before. They're oblivious to the fact that statistically it's much easier to do it a first time than repeat with another organization.

Hopefully this is a very short show me term contract. No way does he deserve the 5 year gm Bob Nicholson special.
None of these people are stupid, the Edmonton Oilers organization's front office doesn't consist of stupid individuals. Katz isn't stupid. Bettman and the Board of Governors, Katz being amongst them, aren't stupid.

Colorado, Tampa Bay, Vegas and Florida don't only hire geniuses.

They are all performing a role in the NHL, it's up to interpolation what those roles are.

No go read that report or your dick will fall off.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
“Read the report bros”

I know, reading is tough and takes a little bit of time. The fact that reading something and learning things is comically being tailored to be an insult here tells us all we need to know.

The horror of people taking the time to educate themselves before barfing out nonsense and flying off the handle.
Read the report. Simple question- did Boman know?

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
man, you have real tough time with reading comprehension...reddit and HFBoards aren't "socials":laugh: ...
and no, most people aren't on twitter
Dude, you're takes are horrendously bad and misinformed. Yes, most fans have social media, and yes, HFBoards and Reddit are considered social media. What do you think the "Social" part means? Honeslty- would love to know your definition vs what is actually considered social media. Go ahead, continue on with your belief that Oilers fans, at the game, live in caves and have no social media connections. Holy shit- just ridiculous.

The perpetually online view “socials” at a much higher level of importance than others. Anecdotal, yes, but having spoken with a lot of Oilers fans that aren’t a part of our perpetually online group (lol), the reaction to this hire is not nearly as visceral.
like you said- anecdotal

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

It must mean that Bowman was the best candidate by far based on the conversations they had with him. It had to be, considering this heat. They also had all the info about what he did after his public disgrace, including his work with Kennedy and Beach, so they must feel that in the long term the fanbase will learn to accept it

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
All the stuff mentioned in your post and everyone gets an education... think of it like a tax.

On the surface, yes.

Did you read the report?
I read a few things posted/linked on this board. All vague and open to interpretation. Telling bosses blah blah blah. Only Bowman knows what, if anything, he coulda/woulda/shoulda done. Legally or morally.

For me it's more about a bad hockey hire on top of a PR nightmare. Just no rational to support this move.

Yet another big blunder by an organization that just can't keep its shit together.

Last edited:

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Sheldon Kennedy had similar experiences to the others in this case. Manipulators and abusers know exactly what to do to garner support. Kennedy was either paid (donations to his orgs) very handsomely to endorse Bowman and/or masterfully manipulated to flip.

You beat me to it.
Implying that Sheldon Kennedy’s integrity on this topic can be questioned tells us what we need to know about you. Go crawl back into your f***ing hole. No one is looking for your opinion here.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Dude, you're takes are horrendously bad and misinformed. Yes, most fans have social media, and yes, HFBoards and Reddit are considered social media. What do you think the "Social" part means? Honeslty- would love to know your definition vs what is actually considered social media. Go ahead, continue on with your belief that Oilers fans, at the game, live in caves and have no social media connections. Holy shit- just ridiculous
Nah you enjoy arguing about semantics which is a waste
Continue the ignorance on the subject and moral grandstanding though

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I thought this was an interesting characterization of McDonagh and how he ran the Hawks organization, from the New York Times:

Of the seven men in the room who ultimately decided to sit on Beach’s allegations because they didn’t want to disrupt a Stanley Cup run, nobody wielded more power than McDonough, the team president. He ruled the Blackhawks with an iron fist, dictating protocols for players and staffers alike. When talking to reporters, players had to stand up, wear a shirt and a Blackhawks hat, even when cameras weren’t present. Staffers had to wear head-to-toe professional attire at all times — including suits and ties for the men — throughout 14-hour game days. He took over a wildly understaffed and unprofessional organization, turned it into a meticulous and thriving business, and got as much credit as Rocky Wirtz for the remarkable turnaround.

But he also created a workplace culture of fear and secrecy. From players to PR staffers to front- and back-office employees, it seemed like everyone was looking over their shoulders. The Jenner & Block report cites witnesses who said McDonough was “extremely controlling.”

“It’s all about leadership,” said Respect Group co-founder Sheldon Kennedy, whose company has worked with the Blackhawks and all other 31 NHL teams to combat discrimination, harassment and bullying in the workplace. “We know that with this organization, there was a lot of fear — fear to speak out, fear to say anything, fear to talk about any of this stuff.”

Besides just organizational chain of command, which most anyone would follow blindly, you can kind of see how if McDonagh says he's going to "handle it" you just let the “extremely controlling" BOSS and PRESIDENT of your organization do just that. That's what Bowman did, Chevy, and the 4 other men in the room did. And also one part of Hockey Culture, Sheldon Kennedy hopes to change with his RESPECT group, something he believes beyond a shadow of a doubt that Bowman will change in the organizations he works with moving forward.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Read the report. Simple question- did Boman know?
What I find interesting is that the issue people have with Bowman in what their view is an egregious error that many say calls into question his morality and basic human decency. It’s that he had knowledge of a potential SA and he never followed up on it, which resulted in the predator being able to commit other crimes. The fact is, Kyle Beach and several others similarly had knowledge of the same SA and similarly never followed up at the time or even for years after Aldrich quietly resigned. Yet here so many are, burning one man at the stake while giving a pass to several others guilty of the same sin. Doesn’t seem to be a lot of consistency there for many.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Which is what? Get a grip and open your mind.

Don't you think it is possible - even probable - that an individual with a history of being abused is exceptionally vulnerable to the predators out there?

Predators manipulate and Sheldon Kennedy is not made of steel. People can be manipulated, especially the abused. Is that such a difficult concept to understand? I don't get it.

Lose your righteous indignation and open your mind.

Goodbye.
OMG. Attacking Kennedy's competence and ability to retain integrity now because of some psuedo science theory based on his history as a victim? That's what you've resorted to? And for what? So you can rage about Bowman and act morally superior on the internet?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad