Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Show me one instance where I’ve ever defended Bowman’s actions? My view the entire time is that he made a mistake not following up with his boss on the information he was made aware of.

See I actually put thought into my position before opening my mouth.

If we are talking about own goal errors, just imagine an absolute complete moron who idiotically shoots his mouth off about something when he doesn’t even know the facts of what he’s talking about. Thats a real own goal error.
Uh huh and literally your previous post is if any good player has an issue with this hire the hell with them. Fire them off to San Jose or Chicago.

Lovely. I mean this could have all been avoid with any other gm.

I bet Ekholm is going to love being asked while getting a head of lettuce at blush Lane "so like your gm covered up a rape how do you feel about that".

If this guy gets hired it should be in frigging Columbus where he could be invisible and no one cares about hockey.

1500 messages and counting. Keep fighting the good fight and I'll see you at 2000.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Well...not all concerns are valid either.

This started out as a muddy/murky situation. 1 adult man has made a claim and the other adult man has refuted that claim. They both had a differing version of events regarding what had happened.
Initially it was not as black and white as some want to beleive.
It takes time to investigate these things and really at the very begining of this how can you possibly know who was telling the truth? The only thing that was immediately apparent was that this sitatuon was obviously improper even though (to my understanding) Aldrich had no real authority over Beach.
You still have to investigate it though because you cant just take someone at their word right off the hop.
You need to investigate things and that takes time.

Now I am not excusing Aldrich at all here. He is obviously a POS but at the begining of all this what information did Bowman have aside from a differing version of events from 2 adult males in different roles on the same team?

You cant just automatically beleive the accuser in this situation either because making a false accusation is a very real thing. Peoples lives have been ruined by that.
So Bowmans boss told him that he would look after getting to the bottom of things and Bowman left it in his superiors hands.

That is not a crime and arguably it wasnt a lapse in judement either. Now not following up on it (which apparently happened) was a lapse in judgement and so thats really the extent of Bowmans crime here.
Does that justify moral outrage...proabaly not especially considering how much time and effort Bowman put into acknowledging his mistake and then educating himself on what he should be aware of in the future and what he should have done in that situation.

According to some opinions...from people whose opinions should matter....Bowman is now a better person because of what he did after that lapse in judement.
Isnt that all we should expect in this situation?
Humans make mistakes and (this isnt an excuse) but based on the fervor by the fans in Oil Country during their SC run I can only imagine the level of intensity and commitment from Management and the team (people that have much more than an emotional investment) regarding their Stanley Cup run.
Right or wrong that is another mitigating factor.

Now that we know what really happened I dont apply the same standard of forgiveness to that POS Aldrich.
I have no compassion for a predator and thats what he is.
Thats where the outrage should be directed and Bowmans boss should absolutely feel the heat for how he completely dropped the ball.

So in terms of Staples...if someone 'feels' belittled by his post then perhaps it has more to do with a false sense of moral authority/superiority from the person that 'feels' belittled.
Or maybe I think the media shouldn’t be doing the or work of the team and it has nothing to do with any moral superiority I feel. You have a valid opinion you’ve just stated above, it’s well thought out. I don’t really agree with it , but that’s fine, I don’t need to. I think it’s a bad hire, in a number of fronts but don’t feel superior because I feel that way. Don’t need that projection from you.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Uh huh and literally your previous post is if any good player has an issue with this hire the hell with them. Fire them off to San Jose or Chicago.

I bet Ekholm is going to love being asked while getting a head of lettuce at blush Lane "so like your gm covered up a rape how do you feel about that".

If this guy gets hired it should be in frigging Columbus where he could be invisible and no one cares about hockey.

1500 messages and counting. Keep fighting the good fight and I'll see you at 2000.
Players who don’t want to be here can be accomodated, lots of guys want to be on this team.

Im banking on players being pissed off. But they won’t be mad at Jackson, they’ll be mad at the nutters accosting them in public and online. It’s just going to feed their desire to win, for highly competitive people there’s nothing better than throwing success in your critics face.

Reactions: oilers'72

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Congrats on not reading the report.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Or maybe I think the media shouldn’t be doing the or work of the team and it has nothing to do with any moral superiority I feel. You have a valid opinion you’ve just stated above, it’s well thought out. I don’t really agree with it , but that’s fine, I don’t need to. I think it’s a bad hire, in a number of fronts but don’t feel superior because I feel that way. Don’t need that projection from you.
Why would you assume that Staples is doing the work of the team?

Seems to me that is just his opinion and he is entitled to post that opinion.
Just like you are and just like I am.

I believe in free speech...do you?

That aside...we all have a choice on what we decide offends us just like you have a choice on whether or not to feel belittled.

Regarding the hire...I have questions about his ability...not his morality.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
I have to believe this was run by McDavid and a few of the other players before hiring the dolt. Is there any news of this?

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I have to believe this was run by McDavid and a few of the other players before hiring the dolt. Is there any news of this?
I don’t think there is the slightest chance in hell McDavid didn’t get asked, but they will NEVER admit that. That would put way too much responsibility and spotlight on him.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Why would you assume that Staples is doing the work of the team?

Seems to me that is just his opinion and he is entitled to post that opinion.
Just like you are and just like I am.

I believe in free speech...do you?

That aside...we all have a choice on what we decide offends us just like you have a choice on whether or not to feel belittled.

Regarding the hire...I have questions about his ability...not his morality.
Sigh we are going nowhere, now you are implying I don’t like free speech . I’m not sure Staples believed in free speech in this matter since his post clearly implies that Kennedy and Beach are the only opinions that matter and the rest of us shouldn’t have one.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Sigh we are going nowhere, now you are implying I don’t like free speech . I’m not sure Staples believed in free speech in this matter since his post clearly implies that Kennedy and Beach are the only opinions that matter and the rest of us shouldn’t have one.
I am not implying anything.
Staples actually never said that Beach and Kennedy are the only opinions that matter. That is an example of you implying and implying incorrectly.

He is saying that their opinions have more weight than your opinion and my opinion...and the vast majority of Oilers fans.
He is correctly justified in saying that considering their expertise on the matter.

You can choose to feel offended and belittled by that all you want.
Thats up to you.

Last edited:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Some ppl don't understand
You're right, the Blackhawks are absolutely a model franchise and one we should be emulating as closely as possible. I'm sure if you looked around even a tiny bit you'd see that they've been met with scorn for the past few years and deservedly so.

And then he basically tossed grenade after grenade at the team including arguably the worst contract in hockey.
Man some people have no concept of reality

Bowmans cap implications were b/c he negotiated 3 cups. Signing smaller extensions has implications. Do you understand that? I know ppl love to live in their own reality when it comes to cap but there's common sense to

Also, to the ppl crying about the Jones contract. That was a garbage year for high contracts by every GM. They all got relief over covid and had to spend for internal reasons.

To the clueless wonders out there saying Nurse got his contract simply cuz of Bowman, please stop talking out your ass here.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
You're right, the Blackhawks are absolutely a model franchise and one we should be emulating as closely as possible. I'm sure if you looked around even a tiny bit you'd see that they've been met with scorn for the past few years and deservedly so.

And then he basically tossed grenade after grenade at the team including arguably the worst contract in hockey.
If we win 3 cups and then suck for a few years? I'd love to emulate that.

Wouldn't you? Or would you still cry then, because you have no grasp on reality and how the salary cap works.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The team president is there to run the business. NHL teams are corporations with multiple subsidiaries and other flow through corporations. They set up entire companies for the player payroll, separate from the charitable arm, the arena management company, etc. The presidents job is to manage that. The GM is responsible for day to day hockey operations, ie - coach, and assistant coaches, player personnel, training personnel, travel, etc. It's not just a guy that meets with scouts and the cap people and calls other GMs.

I agree the GM shouldn't be dealing with this. Neither should the president. That's why you have an HR department. GM sure as hell should be reporting it though. These are his employees in his department.

Yes I agree 100% that it's impossible to tell who was singularly responsible. Which is why the axe starts at the head. McDung, Issac, and Stan, and Q should never work in the NHL again. These are all people in significant positions of power with significant pull and name recognition and they did f*** all, other than pass the buck to each other. Chevy can f*** off too, clown doesn't even remember what series the meeting happened in.

If Gary was dismissive why did he go out of his way to have several phone calls and a meeting with the brass on the whole situation? Dismissive people dismiss and then move on. His name is mentioned over 200 times in the report...

Fact remains this stuff is way above what a GM should be doing to begin with. Other people way higher up in the org should be handling any kind of situation like this. President, ownership, etc.

When Mike Tyson is still promoting big ticket boxing matches and beloved in pop culture and lets not even get into US presidential candidates, Stan Bowman some how deserves a life time ban forever? I think that's a bit much, especially considering it looks like he did some real actual work and has met with the victim in this case, not sure if anyone else can say the same. If anything on that front the Oilers probably hired someone who will be more hyper-vigiliant in making sure anything even remotely like that won't be happening on his watch.

I don't think Bowman is a terrible person. He made a mistake in trusting the people above him who should handle something like this would handle it and as a result the scum bag who did this (who should be getting 99% of the vitriol for it) was allowed to remain employed for what? A couple of extra weeks is my understanding? Awful yes, but not to the point where everyone in the org deserves to never work again.

All that said, I still wouldn't have hired Bowman based on his recent history as a GM though I don't think he'll actually be running the ship here anyway, Jackson will make the big moves, Bowman is just here to do some of the grind work and provide some experience for JJ to lean on. The roster is pretty much set in stone, even if you wanted to make big changes, you really can't because of the salary cap. He's not even going to be able to pick his coach (JJ already did) or his head amateur scout (JJ already chose his guy in Pracey there too).

Last edited:

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

Dude you still haven’t figured out the basic concepts of “putting the work in” that Bowman did so maybe sit this out and let the adults discuss this

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Dude you still haven’t figured out the basic concepts of “putting the work in” that Bowman did so maybe sit this out and let the adults discuss this
Oh I'm well aware how much work Mike Babcock insisted he put in as well. Said all the right things claimed to be part of all the right groups.

The whole "this will blow over" will not blow over. You're not the gm of Columbus or Carolina. This city has the pitchforks for the goalie coach.

The bizarre thing is highly debatable if he's even better than a botterill or hunter who appeared to be in the running.

They've taken on a ton of unnecessary baggage for a gm with an ok track record.

Reactions: PBandJ

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Players who don’t want to be here can be accomodated, lots of guys want to be on this team.

Im banking on players being pissed off. But they won’t be mad at Jackson, they’ll be mad at the nutters accosting them in public and online. It’s just going to feed their desire to win, for highly competitive people there’s nothing better than throwing success in your critics face.

Brilliant logic. Lose a player who "doesn't want to be here" to San Jose or Chicago. Get the players pissed off at being asked at southgate mall with their family about their new boss. "it will motivate the team".

You know this entire thing could have been avoided with literally any other gm?

Oh I forgot "banking on players being pissed off". Jackson 3d chess won the cup by making players upset at their boss.

JeffSkinner53

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
Email Response I Received After Emailing [email protected] (not mine, from reddit)

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your feedback. We understand and appreciate your input.

The decision to hire Stan Bowman as the Oilers General Manager was made after extensive due diligence into the 2010 Kyle Beach case and the subsequent work by Stan over the years to make amends and support Kyle—while also working with Sheldon Kennedy’s Respect Group to help make positive change. In regards to the Kyle Beach incident in 2010, Stan has acknowledged that trusting his superior to handle the situation as promised was not acceptable. Stan has taken full responsibility for his inadequate response.

Stan has since built a relationship with Kyle Beach and has worked with the Trinity Western male and female players, where Kyle now coaches, to build the team’s curriculum on creating a safe hockey culture—leveraging Stan’s work with the Respect Group. Both Kyle Beach and Sheldon Kennedy support the Oilers hiring of Stan Bowman, and Stan’s experiences since 2010 have him well-positioned to be a leader at OEG and an advocate within the NHL community.

The independent report is available [here](https://www.jenner.com/a/web/8kmbgFUEYWcNnvzFTa5h8H/4k1Z6N/report-to-the-chicago-blackhawks-hockey-team-october-2021.pdf) if you would like to learn more about the incident in 2010 and Sheldon Kennedy’s endorsement of Stan Bowman can be found [here](https://www.respectgroupinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/07/my-work-with-stan-bowman-sk.pdf)

Thanks again your feedback

Jessy

JeffSkinner53

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
It was alleged at the time, and Beach refused to get the cops involved. HR and his boss said it would be taken care of. Get the facts straight. Man these bandwagon fans that don't post here for YEARS, and then come back and post dumb shit.
McBooya42 posts facts. Random dude on the internet- TRIGGERED. Like clockwork.

JeffSkinner53

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
Also I'm not sure of it's been mentioned but Quenneville had his first interview back a few months ago. In this interview he claims he had a 10 minute very brief meeting with people in the organization on Brad Aldrich during the playoffs of 2010, during which the sexual assault was never mentioned but it was mentioned that Aldrich was inappropriately texting the players. Quenneville mentioned that he thought the hire ups would take care of it, and that he should have asked more questions during said meeting. To me it sounds like both Bowman and Quenneville assumed that the president whose name I forget would take care of it. Quennville admits to giving Aldrich a letter of recommendation, however he says it was a generic letter they give to all staff. It's a really long interview but just some added info.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Brilliant logic. Lose a player who "doesn't want to be here" to San Jose or Chicago. Get the players pissed off at being asked at southgate mall with their family about their new boss. "it will motivate the team".

You know this entire thing could have been avoided with literally any other gm?

Oh I forgot "banking on players being pissed off". Jackson 3d chess won the cup by making players upset at their boss.
They aren’t going to lose a player because the guys in the room are all reasonable, measured humans who are focused on a common goal. I’m sure any of them who might have concerns will have the opportunity to speak to Jackson, Bowman or other stakeholders to have their concerns addressed.

the whole situation could of been avoided and I’m not surprised to see you suggest that, you seem like an easy way out avoider kind of guy. But that’s the beauty of Jackson’s decision to hire Bowman, it wasn’t the easy thing to do but it presents an excellent opportunity for the organization to be a leader in advocacy of this issue and others.

I didn’t think I’d ever have to point this out to a genius like yourself but all chess is 3D, you probably should have said 4D if you wanted your shitty point to land.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
They aren’t going to lose a player because the guys in the room are all reasonable, measured humans who are focused on a common goal. I’m sure any of them who might have concerns will have the opportunity to speak to Jackson, Bowman or other stakeholders to have their concerns addressed.

the whole situation could of been avoided and I’m not surprised to see you suggest that, you seem like an easy way out avoider kind of guy. But that’s the beauty of Jackson’s decision to hire Bowman, it wasn’t the easy thing to do but it presents an excellent opportunity for the organization to be a leader in advocacy of this issue and others.

I didn’t think I’d ever have to point this out to a genius like yourself but all chess is 3D, you probably should have said 4D if you wanted your shitty point to land.
I find it highly disturbing how there are "fans" who are so determined to insist this is a good move. First you claimed if a good player doesn't like it. Oh well ship them off to Chicago or San Jose. You're literally ready to lose good players over a lemming gm. Someone who is arguably not even the best gm hire. This is no Connor McDavid of GMs high and clear the best option.

The whole situation indeed could have been avoided. This is a hockey town. This isn't Phoenix where fans don't even know the players let alone the gm. They've hired a guy that brings nothing to the table that another gm couldn't also provide. And at the same time they've made their players lives worse.

Connor is getting married in a few days and what's supposed to be a very happy day everyone is talking about this and if his new boss should even be on the team.

I'm not an easy option guy. I'm a common sense guy. I like common sense people who don't try to show they're the smartest guy in the room with unnecessary errors. You seem like the kind of guy who will look for any excuse to justify a move going so far as to insist good players can be "shipped away to Chicago". If you want to be an ideologue to the extent of making this team worse to prove a point congrats. You got your wish. You want players pissed off you want them to be shipped to Chicago. All to defend Stan Bowman.

Reactions: PBandJ

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Email Response I Received After Emailing [email protected] (not mine, from reddit)

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your feedback. We understand and appreciate your input.

The decision to hire Stan Bowman as the Oilers General Manager was made after extensive due diligence into the 2010 Kyle Beach case and the subsequent work by Stan over the years to make amends and support Kyle—while also working with Sheldon Kennedy’s Respect Group to help make positive change. In regards to the Kyle Beach incident in 2010, Stan has acknowledged that trusting his superior to handle the situation as promised was not acceptable. Stan has taken full responsibility for his inadequate response.

Stan has since built a relationship with Kyle Beach and has worked with the Trinity Western male and female players, where Kyle now coaches, to build the team’s curriculum on creating a safe hockey culture—leveraging Stan’s work with the Respect Group. Both Kyle Beach and Sheldon Kennedy support the Oilers hiring of Stan Bowman, and Stan’s experiences since 2010 have him well-positioned to be a leader at OEG and an advocate within the NHL community.

The independent report is available [here](https://www.jenner.com/a/web/8kmbgFUEYWcNnvzFTa5h8H/4k1Z6N/report-to-the-chicago-blackhawks-hockey-team-october-2021.pdf) if you would like to learn more about the incident in 2010 and Sheldon Kennedy’s endorsement of Stan Bowman can be found [here](https://www.respectgroupinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/07/my-work-with-stan-bowman-sk.pdf)

Thanks again your feedback

Jessy

To be honest that's reasonable. It looks like to me, Bowman is the only one who actually has reached out to Beach in recent years and spent any time with him.

I think the president of the Hawks and the higher ups above him should get a lot of the blame along with Quinnville because he wrote a generic letter of recommendation it sounds like. Of course really Aldridge should be getting most of the blame.

I still wouldn't have hired him, not because of this issue, but just because I don't think he's such a good front office guy that it warrants the unneeded attention. Even without the PR issue, I wouldn't have hired him, we've done the whole "Stanley Cup winner GM who's floundered a bit in his later years with his past team" thing twice already, why is it really necessary to go down that road a third time. We had huge success with an unknown first time NHL coach, why not try something similar with a GM, it's not like the team needs a ton of moves as it's pretty much prebuilt as is.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad