Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

Oldoil

Mar 5, 2018
Simple question - Why? Why risk all the bad PR and make this hire? Was there not any competant hire that could have been made without all the controversy? Baffling to me.

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
Simple question - Why? Why risk all the bad PR and make this hire? Was there not any competant hire that could have been made without all the controversy? Baffling to me.
It's because Bowman has 3 cups, not to say I agree with it.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It’s JJs opinion that he’s the best GM out there. I guess the answer would be, do we want the best GM available or the least controversial? If JJs vision is “best in class” as he says, then this aligns with that.

Now whether JJ is right about Bowman being the best available GM. You can debate, especially with his mixed bag track record in Chicago, but we shall find out soon if he’s any good and if JJ continues to be right.

Reactions: oilers'72

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Based on the report it doesn't even get to the level that it was clear it was an "attempted rape."

Based on the varying accounts, the messaging was somewhere in between "he tried to get him in the sheets" (not a crime, but a workplace violation), and telling him his career would be impacted if he didn't sleep with him (a crime *I think*, but not an attempted rape).
Yes based on varying accounts from people with a front row seat to their own career being ruined. The funny thing is that Gary, who was relaying the incident, is the only person who says it was the level of blackmail and sexual pressuring. All the others downplay his words and that what he said wasn't so stark. Gary is the person I'd most be inclined to believe, which makes all those management clowns liars.

Stan is the one claiming McDung would handle it. Someone else said McDung would talk to Aldrich (not even his job or what you would do in that situation). McDung claims it was never discussed he would handle it. Then, according to the HR director, he did handle it after they won. Chevy doesn't even remember which series the meeting took place in...LMFAO. Stan can't even remember the phone call he had later the same day with Gary, only that once JennerBlock had obtained the date, length of time, and that him and Gary were the two parties on the call via phone records, that - "it could have been with Gary and could have been about Aldrich"....what else would they talk about late the same day of the sexual assault meeting? Lmfao.

That anyone points to the report as a defence of Stan Bowman is mindboggling. All of those people involved in the May 23rd meeting have zero to very little recollection of anything that happened, despite it being the most important moments of their career (first cup run in 18 years) and a situation that should be very hard to forget.

The only thing any of them seem to remember, is enough to contradict everyone else and shift blame off themselves. Even McDung tries to lie his way out of it saying he didn't recall ever talking about it again after May 23rd, despite the HR director explicitly saying he's the one who reported it the day after they won the cup.

Gary indicates that Stan told him "they" (Not explicitly McDung) were handling it in the phone call that Stan cant remember but doesnt deny. Makes sense to not remember the conversation in which you said "they", when your whole defense is 'my boss and not us'. Gary came away from that call and meeting feeling good enough to tell Beach it was being handled and he'd update him. So either Gary is utterly full of shit, which would be interesting since hes quoted in nearly every part of the report, or the guys who remember almost nothing are.

Given Stan can't even own up to the 19 minute phone call, I'm gonna say he's bullshitting. Just like the others. In no way does that report bring to light any good managerial qualities possessed by Stan. Given the fact hes also a dogshit GM, this hire is about as bad as possible.

Bryan above seems to be under the opinion that everyone just wants to cast rocks from glass houses. Not actually true. Stan Bowman can be a changed person and a champion of workplace harassment. He can also go do that in the public and other places without needing to be a GM again so soon. There seems to be this notion that its even better for him to be a GM because then he can be in a psoition of power to better spread the message. Lmfao what. I haven't lived a saintly life but I'm also not making 2M a year in a coveted externally facing role. Though in a league seemingly inundated and controlled by Neolithic aged old boys clubs, I'm not surprised this happened either.

Reactions: Spawn

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yep, a few days later and this remains the burning question for me.

I think this org overly weighs "Cup winning pedigree" for a GM. Massively. In JJ's case I think he intends to be in on most of the big moves/direction of the team but got lured in by Bowman's experience with a contender/multiple Cup winner and wanted his experience in certain cases.

I still wouldn't have gone with this hire and would have just picked Botteril, but the optics on him would have bad too (the crap show that is Buffalo would be pinned to some degree on him).

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Yes based on varying accounts from people with a front row seat to their own career being ruined. The funny thing is that Gary, who was relaying the incident, is the only person who says it was the level of blackmail and sexual pressuring. All the others downplay his words and that what he said wasn't so stark. Gary is the person I'd most be inclined to believe, which makes all those management clowns liars.

Stan is the one claiming McDung would handle it. Someone else said McDung would talk to Aldrich (not even his job or what you would do in that situation). McDung claims it was never discussed he would handle it. Then, according to the HR director, he did handle it after they won. Chevy doesn't even remember which series the meeting took place in...LMFAO. Stan can't even remember the phone call he had later the same day with Gary, only that once JennerBlock had obtained the date, length of time, and that him and Gary were the two parties on the call via phone records, that - "it could have been with Gary and could have been about Aldrich"....what else would they talk about late the same day of the sexual assault meeting? Lmfao.

That anyone points to the report as a defence of Stan Bowman is mindboggling. All of those people involved in the May 23rd meeting have zero to very little recollection of anything that happened, despite it being the most important moments of their career (first cup run in 18 years) and a situation that should be very hard to forget.

The only thing any of them seem to remember, is enough to contradict everyone else and shift blame off themselves. Even McDung tries to lie his way out of it saying he didn't recall ever talking about it again after May 23rd, despite the HR director explicitly saying he's the one who reported it the day after they won the cup.

Gary indicates that Stan told him "they" (Not explicitly McDung) were handling it in the phone call that Stan cant remember but doesnt deny. Makes sense to not remember the conversation in which you said "they", when your whole defense is 'my boss and not us'. Gary came away from that call and meeting feeling good enough to tell Beach it was being handled and he'd update him. So either Gary is utterly full of shit, which would be interesting since hes quoted in nearly every part of the report, or the guys who remember almost nothing are.

Given Stan can't even own up to the 19 minute phone call, I'm gonna say he's bullshitting. Just like the others. In no way does that report bring to light any good managerial qualities possessed by Stan. Given the fact hes also a dogshit GM, this hire is about as bad as possible.

Bryan above seems to be under the opinion that everyone just wants to cast rocks from glass houses. Not actually true. Stan Bowman can be a changed person and a champion of workplace harassment. He can also go do that in the public and other places without needing to be a GM again so soon. There seems to be this notion that its even better for him to be a GM because then he can be in a psoition of power to better spread the message. Lmfao what. I haven't lived a saintly life but I'm also not making 2M a year in a coveted externally facing role. Though in a league seemingly inundated and controlled by Neolithic aged old boys clubs, I'm not surprised this happened either.

Everything you say here is on the basis that Gary himself isn't full of shit. Beach's confidant said that Beach told that person that Gary was dismissive and told him to keep quiet about it, only for memories to change and conflicting accounts to come out afterwards. Is that the case as well? I'm not sure, because it was later contradicted by Beach himself, but it makes no sense that Beach would BS his friend he confided in shortly after the incident occurred. If Gary did in fact tell Beach to keep quiet about it in some way, shape or form, then it would make sense that he chose to downplay the severity of the incident when it was reported to management.

We have a situation where almost everyone remembers something different or are straight up contradictory. What we do know is the Blackhawks as an organization failed, but it is extremely difficult to determine who was singularly responsible, if there even was someone singularly responsible.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

The GM honestly shouldn't be the one dealing with this stuff, his job should be to put together a hockey team on the ice, stuff like any kind of workplace misconduct especially outside the rink should be handled by the team president, otherwise what is a team president even there for.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Is it really bad PR though? They haven't lost any sponsors/endorsements and the rink is going to be packed every night.

I'd guess the PR part of it was barely even considered during the hiring process because it doesn't really matter.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
The GM honestly shouldn't be the one dealing with this stuff, his job should be to put together a hockey team on the ice, stuff like any kind of workplace misconduct should be handled by the team president, otherwise what is a team president even there for.
The team president is there to run the business. NHL teams are corporations with multiple subsidiaries and other flow through corporations. They set up entire companies for the player payroll, separate from the charitable arm, the arena management company, etc. The presidents job is to manage that. The GM is responsible for day to day hockey operations, ie - coach, and assistant coaches, player personnel, training personnel, travel, etc. It's not just a guy that meets with scouts and the cap people and calls other GMs.

I agree the GM shouldn't be dealing with this. Neither should the president. That's why you have an HR department. GM sure as hell should be reporting it though. These are his employees in his department.

Everything you say here is on the basis that Gary himself isn't full of shit. Beach's confidant said that Beach told that person that Gary was dismissive and told him to keep quiet about it, only for memories to change and conflicting accounts to come out afterwards. Is that the case as well? I'm not sure, because it was later contradicted by Beach himself, but it makes no sense that Beach would BS his friend he confided in shortly after the incident occurred. If Gary did in fact tell Beach to keep quiet about it in some way, shape or form, then it would make sense that he chose to downplay the severity of the incident when it was reported to management.

We have a situation where almost everyone remembers something different or are straight up contradictory. What we do know is the Blackhawks as an organization failed, but it is extremely difficult to determine who was singularly responsible, if there even was someone singularly responsible.
Yes I agree 100% that it's impossible to tell who was singularly responsible. Which is why the axe starts at the head. McDung, Issac, and Stan, and Q should never work in the NHL again. These are all people in significant positions of power with significant pull and name recognition and they did f*** all, other than pass the buck to each other. Chevy can f*** off too, clown doesn't even remember what series the meeting happened in.

If Gary was dismissive why did he go out of his way to have several phone calls and a meeting with the brass on the whole situation? Dismissive people dismiss and then move on. His name is mentioned over 200 times in the report...

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Who would you have preferred, specifically? Genuinely curious.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019

I wasn’t sure that I could dislike Staples more, but he’s levelled up here. Nobody should be dismissing concerns people have over this hire. It’s far too important of a topic, all responses are valid and the media dismissing concerns over this can go to hell.

Reactions: Spawn

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Because the team understands any “bad pr” will be fleeting and after a week it’ll be water under the bridge for the majority of people. By the time the season rolls around people will just be excited for hockey and another cup run. This decision will have literally zero effect on their bottom line, in fact I’d wager this upcoming season is going to be the most profitable season of all time for the Oilers.

Watch Jackson’s press conference when he introduced Bowman, a member of the media asked him if he’s concerned about backlash and his indifference to fan opinion is hilariously obvious.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Arrogance, I truly think it’s that. Look at the Kevin Lowe tier 1 comments, those roots run deep here. They don’t think there will be repercussions, they are probably right. But don't kid yourself they take us for granted, and they can count on many members of the local media to carry water for them on the issue.

Reactions: PBandJ

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Because the team understands any “bad pr” will be fleeting and after a week it’ll be water under the bridge for the majority of people. By the time the season rolls around people will just be excited for hockey and another cup run. This decision will have literally zero effect on their bottom line, in fact I’d wager this upcoming season is going to be the most profitable season of all time for the Oilers.

Watch Jackson’s press conference when he introduced Bowman, a member of the media asked him if he’s concerned about backlash and his indifference to fan opinion is hilariously obvious.

I’m not concerned about the fans. The oilers will make money no matter what. Fans are die hard and passionate in this city.

I just really hope that this doesn’t become a distraction in the room, in crucial negotiations, and in any way affect free agency signings or trades going forward.

To me it seems like a risk that the oilers didn’t need to take especially considering the GM they got has not made a good move in the last decade.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I wasn’t sure that I could dislike Staples more, but he’s levelled up here. Nobody should be dismissing concerns people have over this hire. It’s far too important of a topic, all responses are valid and the media dismissing concerns over this can go to hell.
No...not all responses are valid.
Just because someone feels a certain way doesnt make it valid.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
No...not all responses are valid.
Just because someone feels a certain way doesnt make it valid.
Fine, I will clarify then. People who have concerns over this hire do not need to be belittled by an idiot like staples, or any other media member. It’s a valid conversation and concern.

Reactions: WaitingForUser

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I’m not concerned about the fans. The oilers will make money no matter what. Fans are die hard and passionate in this city.

I just really hope that this doesn’t become a distraction in the room, in crucial negotiations, and in any way affect free agency signings or trades going forward.

To me it seems like a risk that the oilers didn’t need to take especially considering the GM they got has not made a good move in the last decade.
Professional hockey players are just that, professionals. I’m sure they’ll be able to separate any personal feeling they might have from the job they’re there to do. Most of these guys have dreamt about and spent their entire lives working towards a chance to win the Stanley Cup. These chances are very rare and the Oilers are one of the best positioned teams to accomplish that.

That being said if it’s that big of a problem for anyone in the room I’m sure Jackson would be perfectly willing to trade them to a San Jose or Chicago.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
1500 posts most of which revolve around Bowman not being in the league 2 years for his part in a player being raped in his org.

What a ridiculous own goal error.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
1500 posts most of which revolve around Bowman not being in the league 2 years for his part in a player being raped in his org.

What a ridiculous own goal error.
Oh hey the genius is back! Where have you been? Organizing a donation to Sheldon Kennedy’s non existent npo on behalf of the very large organization you work for?

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Oh hey the genius is back! Where have you been? Organizing a donation to Sheldon Kennedy’s non existent npo on behalf of the very large organization you work for?
I see bowman’s most vehement defenders are still rage posting how much work he's done 24 7.

Keep at it.

There is a microcosm of actual gm difference in Bowman hunter botterill etc.

What a disaster to take the guy who has people fighting about how to handle things when a player literally gets raped.

Awful awful optics and decision

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Fine, I will clarify then. People who have concerns over this hire do not need to be belittled by an idiot like staples, or any other media member. It’s a valid conversation and concern.
Well...not all concerns are valid either.

This started out as a muddy/murky situation. 1 adult man has made a claim and the other adult man has refuted that claim. They both had a differing version of events regarding what had happened.
Initially it was not as black and white as some want to believe.
It takes time to investigate these things and really at the very begining of this how can you possibly know who was telling the truth? The only thing that was immediately apparent was that this sitatuon was obviously improper even though (to my understanding) Aldrich had no real authority over Beach.
You still have to investigate it though because you cant just take someone at their word right off the hop.
You need to investigate things and that takes time.

Now I am not excusing Aldrich at all here. He is obviously a POS but at the begining of all this what information did Bowman have aside from a differing version of events from 2 adult males in different roles on the same team?

You cant just automatically believe the accuser in this situation either because making a false accusation is a very real thing. Peoples lives have been ruined by that.
So Bowmans boss told him that he would look after getting to the bottom of things and Bowman left it in his superiors hands.

That is not a crime and arguably it wasnt a lapse in judement either. Now not following up on it (which apparently happened) was a lapse in judgement and so thats really the extent of Bowmans crime here.
Does that justify moral outrage...proabaly not especially considering how much time and effort Bowman put into acknowledging his mistake and then educating himself on what he should be aware of in the future and what he should have done in that situation.

According to some opinions...from people whose opinions should matter....Bowman is now a better person because of what he did after that lapse in judement.
Isnt that all we should expect in this situation?
Humans make mistakes and (this isnt an excuse) but based on the fervor by the fans in Oil Country during their SC run I can only imagine the level of intensity and commitment from Management and the team (people that have much more than an emotional investment) regarding their Stanley Cup run.
Right or wrong that is another mitigating factor.

Now that we know what really happened I dont apply the same standard of forgiveness to that POS Aldrich.
I have no compassion for a predator and thats what he is.
Thats where the outrage should be directed and Bowmans boss should absolutely feel the heat for how he completely dropped the ball.

So in terms of Staples...if someone 'feels' belittled by his post then perhaps it has more to do with a false sense of moral authority/superiority from the person that 'feels' belittled.

Last edited:

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I see bowman’s most vehement defenders are still rage posting how much work he's done 24 7.

Keep at it.

There is a microcosm of actual gm difference in Bowman hunter botterill etc.

What a disaster to take the guy who has people fighting about how to handle things when a player literally gets raped.

Awful awful optics and decision
Show me one instance where I’ve ever defended Bowman’s actions? My view the entire time is that he made a mistake not following up with his boss on the information he was made aware of.

See I actually put thought into my position before opening my mouth.

If we are talking about own goal errors, just imagine an absolute complete moron who idiotically shoots his mouth off about something when he doesn’t even know the facts of what he’s talking about. Thats a real own goal error.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad