Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Why does it take rehab for a grown ass adult to know that the rape of a 19 year old by his staff is wrong? f*** Stan bowman
I agree.

But it doesn’t mean we should be making up stuff about Sheldon Kennedy to try and prove it.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
We all know that what Bowman did was wrong. Even if he left it up to his superiors he should've followed up with them to see what was done and learn how to handle such things in the future. At the end of the day it was he said/he said between Beach and the sick POS coach and the situation needed further investigation. Bowman screwed up. He did not stop Beach from contacting the authorities or threaten his standing with the team to keep quiet based on the report. Those things would've been gigantic red flags and if they happened I would 100% condemn this hiring. At the end of the day the man made a big mistake but he has since tried to learn from it and has spent time trying to do his part to change the negative aspects of hockey culture. Whether you believe this or not, he has spent his own time and money traveling to do these things. If he was a truly horrible POS he could've just written a couple of checks (to make himself look good) and screamed from the rooftops about how he was trying to do his part without dealing with this face to face with many people in different cities. Instead he dove into it to learn from the incident and become better prepared for it in the event that it happens again. This doesn't stop with the Oilers either, I'm sure that if any of his colleagues have such issues that he would make it a point to give them advice.

People can moan and bitch until they are blue in the face and it won't change anything that has been done in the past or this hiring. At the end of the day JJ and Sheldon Kennedy know Bowman better than we ever will and they are vouching heavily for him. People are so quick to bury other people these days and cast stones while sitting in their glass houses. You would think that many people out there have lived perfect lives and have never sinned/done anything wrong. Give the man a chance to prove that he was a worthwhile hire and that he is willing to be an advocate for those that are in similar situations that Beach was in.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
What was exactly said between Kyle and Stan? We really dont know. "having a productive conversation" as stan bowman put it doesnt sound like a ringing endorsement. Either way we can never really know, what that conversation was like. John Doe 2 also seems to not have forgiven him.

Reading other survivor stories, a lot of them HAVE to forgive and move on, or else it destroys them inside out. I am very glad Kyle Beach found his peace and found grace to forgive Stan Bowman. I am happy for both Kyle and Stan in that regard. But if people generally are having a moral quandry about this, that is very much fair and their given right. That doesnt make them a virtue signaler or some type of grandstander. Thats a very fair thing to feel
That “productive conversation” lead to them working together. Beach invited Bowman to come work with his current team. Beach is with the Trinity Western Hockey team right now.

For the record here’s what Bowman did in relation to Beach:

- When Beach first came out, Reached out to Beach, didn’t get a response.
- Started working with Kennedy, Kennedy suggested reaching out again.
- Bowman reached out again through text, got a response back that Beach would be willing to talk
- On that call, Bowman’s goal was to apologize. They talked about past and what happened and lots of other things, specifically moving forward.
- They talked closed to 90 minutes, Bowman shared the work he was doing with Kennedy, and Beach said it sounded great and wanted Bowman to come out and work with his team at Trinity Western.
- Bowman then spent 1 and half days with Beach, while talking about the past and what could be done in the future, and implementing Bowman’s new Charter program he developed at Kennedy’s group
- Bowman has kept in touch with Beach ever since, and throughout this last year
- Bowman then informed Beach he was getting the the GM job before it was announced.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005

Other than what I have already posted, not gonna add anymore here. But will say two things I have heard.

1) Staples has become a trial balloon for Bob Stauffer. Watch his messaging. It's how Bob and the Oilers float their balloons.

2) Their have been almost no sponsorship cancellations and insignificant season tickets cancelled since Bowman hired.

This will be out of the news cycle as soon as next week or as late as the Draisaitl extension announcement.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I wonder if it'll ever come out that these guys were paid off to endorse Bowman. I wouldn't be a bit surprised. Not really sure how they're so cool with him, doesn't add up to me.
What kind of dumbassery nonsense is this? Way to trivialize everything Kennedy has worked for after being a victim himself. Shame on you for this idiotic take.

Sheldon Kennedy had similar experiences to the others in this case. Manipulators and abusers know exactly what to do to garner support. Kennedy was either paid (donations to his orgs) very handsomely to endorse Bowman and/or masterfully manipulated to flip.

You beat me to it.
Gtfo and get bent. Trivializing what Kennedy has done after being a victim is as low as it gets. Go back to your shit town forum.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I didn't create a false equivalency, you just misread what I wrote.

No, read it just fine. Suggesting that those defending Bowman are hypocrites because in your estimation, they would also support tougher sentencing for crime is by definition insinuating that Bowman committed a crime. Not the same things.

Reactions: oilers'72

Roderek

Dec 29, 2022
Page 45 of the report, if he didn't know he chose not to! You also have to remember that everyone had lawyers coaching them. Our law system is not set up to help the victims. This is from that page.

link to the report
https://www.jenner.com/a/web/8kmbgF...awks%20Hockey%20Team%20-%20October%202021.pdf

When interviewed, Bowman recalled that after Game 4 ended—which was at approximately 4:46 p.m. Central Standard Time—MacIsaac approached him in the executive game suite.388 Bowman recalled MacIsaac stating that there was a problem with Aldrich and John Doe, and they needed to speak with McDonough.389 Bowman said he may have spoken to Gary as well, but he did not specifically recall doing so.390 Bowman said he recalled feeling surprised by what MacIsaac told him because the Blackhawks had just won and Bowman usually went directly to the locker room after games to speak with the coaches.391

page 46
After Game 4 ended, a meeting occurred in John McDonough’s office in the Front Office space at the United Center. Jim Gary, Stan Bowman, Al MacIsaac, John McDonough, Kevin Cheveldayoff, and Jay Blunk were present.

Jim Garys account also on page 46
Gary recalled during his interview that he told the assembled group in McDonough’s office what John Doe told him: that Aldrich was pressuring John Doe for sex, that John Doe told Aldrich he was not “into that,” and that Aldrich threatened John Doe by saying if John Doe did not comply, Aldrich could hurt John Doe’s career.396 Gary recalled that he also expressed that John Doe was uncomfortable around Aldrich due to the situation.397 Gary recalled the participants seemed to be stunned.398 He recalled that the participants started to discuss what to do next, including someone mentioning the possibility of an investigation into the matter.399

I honestly do not know how anyone can read this report and think that anyone didn't know what was going on. Nor how people can defend the cover up. I am pretty sure the people that say he didn't know read the report, have not actually read the report. Again also knowing that people are likely trying to hide as much of the truth as possible to protect themselves.

Of course Beach is going to forgive him, as he is trying to just move on and get past it and that is one of the steps. This was a dumb hire, and should not have happened. Bowman doesn't deserve to never be able to work again, but he sure should have to put in some time working his way up again. Shouldn't be gifted a GM position in the NHL.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Page 45 of the report, if he didn't know he chose not to! You also have to remember that everyone had lawyers coaching them. Our law system is not set up to help the victims. This is from that page.

link to the report
https://www.jenner.com/a/web/8kmbgFUEYWcNnvzFTa5h8H/4HRMZQ/Report%20to%20the%20Chicago%20Blackhawks%20Hockey%20Team%20-%20October%202021.pdf

When interviewed, Bowman recalled that after Game 4 ended—which was at approximately 4:46 p.m. Central Standard Time—MacIsaac approached him in the executive game suite.388 Bowman recalled MacIsaac stating that there was a problem with Aldrich and John Doe, and they needed to speak with McDonough.389 Bowman said he may have spoken to Gary as well, but he did not specifically recall doing so.390 Bowman said he recalled feeling surprised by what MacIsaac told him because the Blackhawks had just won and Bowman usually went directly to the locker room after games to speak with the coaches.391

page 46
After Game 4 ended, a meeting occurred in John McDonough’s office in the Front Office space at the United Center. Jim Gary, Stan Bowman, Al MacIsaac, John McDonough, Kevin Cheveldayoff, and Jay Blunk were present.

Gary recalled during his interview that he told the assembled group in McDonough’s office what John Doe told him: that Aldrich was pressuring John Doe for sex, that John Doe told Aldrich he was not “into that,” and that Aldrich threatened John Doe by saying if John Doe did not comply, Aldrich could hurt John Doe’s career.396 Gary recalled that he also expressed that John Doe was uncomfortable around Aldrich due to the situation.397 Gary recalled the participants seemed to be stunned.398 He recalled that the participants started to discuss what to do next, including someone mentioning the possibility of an investigation into the matter.399

I honestly do not know how anyone can read this report and think that anyone didn't know what was going on. Nor how people can defend the cover up. I am pretty sure the people that say he didn't know read the report, have not actually read the report. Again also knowing that people are likely trying to hide as much of the truth as possible to protect themselves.

Of course Beach is going to forgive him, as he is trying to just move on and get past it and that is one of the steps. This was a dumb hire, and should not have happened. Bowman doesn't deserve to never be able to work again, but he sure should have to put in some time working his way up again. Shouldn't be gifted a GM position in the NHL.
What you quoted indicates they were informed about an allegation of attempted rape. Not rape itself. And again, an allegation at that time and not, as of yet, confirmed truths.

It’s at that point a proper investigation should have been started by Hawks management. McDonagh stated he would handle it by doing just that. But instead waited 3 weeks and brought it to the HR dept. Where the HR dept also f***ed up and didn’t conduct a proper investigation, instead allowing Aldrich to just resign.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

link to the report
https://www.jenner.com/a/web/8kmbgFUEYWcNnvzFTa5h8H/4HRMZQ/Report%20to%20the%20Chicago%20Blackhawks%20Hockey%20Team%20-%20October%202021.pdf

page 46

where's the "rape" like that poster mentioned?

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Why does it take rehab for a grown ass adult to know that the rape of a 19 year old by his staff is wrong? f*** Stan bowman
It was alleged at the time, and Beach refused to get the cops involved. HR and his boss said it would be taken care of. Get the facts straight. Man these bandwagon fans that don't post here for YEARS, and then come back and post dumb shit.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Felt it was necessary since a large portion of this board has you ignored
iu

How would you know?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It was alleged at the time, and Beach refused to get the cops involved. HR and his boss said it would be taken care of. Get the facts straight. Man these bandwagon fans that don't post here for YEARS, and then come back and post dumb shit.
Are these people even fans? Why are there so many random and new accounts in here trying to convince us against the facts of the case.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
What you quoted indicates they were informed about an allegation of attempted rape. Not rape itself. And again, an allegation at that time and not, as of yet, confirmed truths.

It’s at that point a proper investigation should have been started by Hawks management. McDonagh stated he would handle it by doing just that. But instead waited 3 weeks and brought it to the HR dept. Where the HR dept also f***ed up and didn’t conduct a proper investigation, instead allowing Aldrich to just resign.

Based on the report it doesn't even get to the level that it was clear it was an "attempted rape."

Based on the varying accounts, the messaging was somewhere in between "he tried to get him in the sheets" (not a crime, but a workplace violation), and telling him his career would be impacted if he didn't sleep with him (a crime *I think*, but not an attempted rape).

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Based on the report it doesn't even get to the level that it was clear it was an "attempted rape."

Based on the varying accounts, the messaging was somewhere in between "he tried to get him in the sheets" (not a crime, but a workplace violation), and telling him his career would be impacted if he didn't sleep with him (a crime *I think*, but not an attempted rape).
True. It seems at that point no one knew that anything actually happened. Only an attempt by Aldrich to coerce for something to happen.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
True. It seems at that point no one knew that anything actually happened. Only an attempt by Aldrich to coerce for something to happen.

Here's where the Blackhawks organization went wrong in my estimation:

1 - Didn't immediately put Aldrich on leave allowing him to work the rest of the playoffs. The "team chemistry" stuff is BS, a guy like that can go on leave for "personal reasons" and nobody would have cared for a guy in his role.

2 - Actually eventually did the right thing by firing him fairly expediently, but failed in that there was no investigation. Sounds like there wasn't a clear indication that a crime had occurred (sounds like the firing was on the basis of the "getting him in the sheets" narrative), but they couldn't know because they didn't investigate. This ultimately lead to crimes committed by Aldrich down the road.

3 - Allowed him to participate in team activities after being fired, including having his name engraved on the cup and having a day with the cup. Even if in the end all this was was a workplace policy violation, it still isn't appropriate for him to be anywhere near the team at any point after being fired.

Any accusation of "cover up" is simply bullshit entirely, ESPECIALLY as it pertains to Bowman. They were negligent in that they didn't bother to investigate and didn't bother to have him exit the picture immediately when the allegations were made. There was no cover up of any sort.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Other than what I have already posted, not gonna add anymore here. But will say two things I have heard.

1) Staples has become a trial balloon for Bob Stauffer. Watch his messaging. It's how Bob and the Oilers float their balloons.

2) Their have been almost no sponsorship cancellations and insignificant season tickets cancelled since Bowman hired.

This will be out of the news cycle as soon as next week or as late as the Draisaitl extension announcement.
I think this is pretty clear. Staples gives cover as a (quasi) functioning journalist through which to
incredibly time a thorough mainstream media piece summarizing the investigative report of the Blackhawk cover up. A Staples specialty - taking other qualified people's work and adding a couple of anecdotal opinions.

As for the announcement. Tell me what other big business can hold a highly controversial and contentious press conference and have the benefit of a corporate employee extended PR toadie a) be involved with legitimate media people and b) be granted the first question. Real media would recuse themselves from an obvious conflict of interest. Execute the presser on a date the primary media who cover the team are unavailable.

This has been a well executed PR campaign with a brand that's essentially bulletproof within this city and shown pretty much unconditional love and support. The power of hockey in Canada.

Down south Eric Francis has done the media toady work of stumping for a new hockey rink. These are valuable 'gets' to help carry your messaging to broader public audiences.

We can all love the product but helpful too to have open eyes on how it operates. After all, we've seen several labour disputes which reveals the priorities involved.

Ultimately, I'm into second chances and believe Jeff Jackson will build a strong, smart modern hockey organization.

Last edited:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Here's where the Blackhawks organization went wrong in my estimation:

1 - Didn't immediately put Aldrich on leave allowing him to work the rest of the playoffs. The "team chemistry" stuff is BS, a guy like that can go on leave for "personal reasons" and nobody would have cared for a guy in his role.

2 - Actually eventually did the right thing by firing him fairly expediently, but failed in that there was no investigation. Sounds like there wasn't a clear indication that a crime had occurred (sounds like the firing was on the basis of the "getting him in the sheets" narrative), but they couldn't know because they didn't investigate. This ultimately lead to crimes committed by Aldrich down the road.

3 - Allowed him to participate in team activities after being fired, including having his name engraved on the cup and having a day with the cup. Even if in the end all this was was a workplace policy violation, it still isn't appropriate for him to be anywhere near the team at any point after being fired.

Any accusation of "cover up" is simply bullshit entirely, ESPECIALLY as it pertains to Bowman. They were negligent in that they didn't bother to investigate and didn't bother to have him exit the picture immediately when the allegations were made. There was no cover up of any sort.
Yeh that’s about it in a nutshell I would agree. And yes, there was no coverup. There’s a rumour going around about letters of recommendations or references to help Aldrich get jobs, that was a lie as confirmed by the report as well.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad