Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Is keith still apart of the organization??? I wonder of he was asked about bowman in any way shape or form.....

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Nah man I know he’s bad. But I think people are overrating Tallon

Sure, but why did we hire Holland 2.0.

I mean look at Bowman's credentials, almost identical lol.

Example A of the clown that didn’t bother to read the report, read the report and has poor reading comprehension, or read the report, but doesn’t have the intellectual capacity to understand the varying degrees of responsibility and error of the people involved.

Keep yelling at the clouds though, like you do. Be emotional before you have any idea what you’re talking about, like you do.

Yep, insulting him is really gonna change his mind.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Don’t need to. You’re embarrassing yourself enough. I mean, defending a guy who was notified of sexual assault and decided not to inform the police is something else. Calling putting vulnerable people, including children at risk “a mistake” is something. You do you.

What do I think should have happened? Not getting an NHL job as a GM for starters.

Now you are arguing at “extent” of assault? Wow. How about you enlighten me at what extent of sexual assault you think is passable
Pretty sure Beach specifically requested that the police not be involved.

When someone is the victim of a sexual assault, you don't just run to the police or anyone else and spill the beans on their behalf. Especially so if they've asked you not to.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Can anyone explain to me how Chevy has basically evaded any and all backlash or questioning for the incident? He was an Assistant GM too, and was present at some of the same meetings as Bowman where they were informed that something was going on.

Is there a reason he didn't and still doesn't get the same amount of heat for not saying anything or following up?
IIRC he held a presser or had a press release where he basically said he didn’t know anything about it. Could be wrong but I think that’s what happened.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
His best stretch of work was 2010-2015. He basically took a roster that was gutted by a cap purge made necessary by Tallon’s mismanagement, and rebuilt the depth in 2 years into a team that basically tore apart the NHL for the next 3 seasons.

That may not seem like much, but for comparison’s sake it took 7 years for Pittsburgh to do the same around Crosby, Malkin and Letang.

His drafting was actually generally pretty good too, he just ended up trading pretty much all of his best prospects in win-now deals to bring in vets or ship out bad contracts. I think in terms of actual NHL games played, the Blackhawks did really well in the draft under him… they just didnt end up playing for the Blackhawks.

This was a response I received when I asked what are some things Bowman can bring to the table on one of the threads on main board.
Hockey wise that doesn’t sound too bad? I feel gross just saying that

Reactions: joestevens29

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
IIRC he held a presser or had a press release where he basically said he didn’t know anything about it. Could be wrong but I think that’s what happened.
Kevin Cheveldayoff, then the Assistant General Manager, recalled that there
was a meeting in McDonough’s office before a home game during the
Philadelphia series (the Stanley Cup Finals), and not the San Jose series.446
Regardless of when Cheveldayoff believed the meeting occurred, Cheveldayoff recalled being in a meeting in McDonough’s office regarding Aldrich with others in senior management, including McDonough, Bowman, MacIsaac, and Quenneville.447 He recalled the group was told that there were allegations that Aldrich was socializing with players outside the arena, Aldrich sent inappropriate texts to players, and Aldrich made unwanted advances on players.448 Cheveldayoff recalled that John Doe and Black Ace 1 were specifically referenced during the meeting.449 Cheveldayoff also recalled that he felt shocked at the time because it was not common for coaches and players to socialize, and he believed at the time that the allegations were serious.450

He further recalled someone stating that the allegations needed to be
investigated and that someone would make sure the two players and Aldrich
would be kept separate.451 Cheveldayoff recalled no other substantive details
from the meeting.

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024

When someone is the victim of a sexual assault, you don't just run to the police or anyone else and spill the beans on their behalf. Especially so if they've asked you not to.
No BuT He ShUuUd HaVe RuNN Too Daaa CoPzzzz

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Not to mention that if the standard is “first moment you hear about a sexual assault allegation report to the police no matter how loose” that Bowman would have been about 5th in line to have to live up to that standard. Ridiculous standard for anyone with a brain, but is what it is unfortunately.

Once again, people would know that, if they bothered to read the report.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Sure, but why did we hire Holland 2.0.

I mean look at Bowman's credentials, almost identical lol.

Yep, insulting him is really gonna change his mind.
No idea lol. I hate the hire. But I also trust JJ. Ever since he’s arrived in Edmonton, he has transformed this organization into something great. I just hope this isn’t his first mistake

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Kevin Cheveldayoff, then the Assistant General Manager, recalled that there
was a meeting in McDonough’s office before a home game during the
Philadelphia series (the Stanley Cup Finals), and not the San Jose series.446
Regardless of when Cheveldayoff believed the meeting occurred, Cheveldayoff recalled being in a meeting in McDonough’s office regarding Aldrich with others in senior management, including McDonough, Bowman, MacIsaac, and Quenneville.447 He recalled the group was told that there were allegations that Aldrich was socializing with players outside the arena, Aldrich sent inappropriate texts to players, and Aldrich made unwanted advances on players.448 Cheveldayoff recalled that John Doe and Black Ace 1 were specifically referenced during the meeting.449 Cheveldayoff also recalled that he felt shocked at the time because it was not common for coaches and players to socialize, and he believed at the time that the allegations were serious.450

He further recalled someone stating that the allegations needed to be
investigated and that someone would make sure the two players and Aldrich
would be kept separate.451 Cheveldayoff recalled no other substantive details
from the meeting.
Hmm guess I was wrong. There was some initial uproar about it. I guess they decided his role was “acceptable.”

Reactions: CycloneSweep

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I could kind of understand it if he was an amazing GM but still wouldn't be happy. No way he's the best GM available so it makes 0 sense to me. No he doesn't deserve another chance after helping cover up a rape. It's incredible to me how many are giving him a pass and yeah we all do dumb stuff at times but him being a GM in the NHL less than 3 years later is unacceptable.

It's just the grossest hire ever, makes 0 sense, feels so dirty and wrong and hearing all the people defending him just makes me sick.

Reactions: Snuggs

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I could kind of understand it if he was an amazing GM but still wouldn't be happy. No way he's the best GM available so it makes 0 sense to me. No he doesn't deserve another chance after helping cover up a rape. It's incredible to me how many are giving him a pass and yeah we all do dumb stuff at times but him being a GM in the NHL less than 3 years later is unacceptable.

It's just the grossest hire ever, makes 0 sense, feels so dirty and wrong and hearing all the people defending him just makes me sick.
Now tell Sheldon Kennedy he is wrong too.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I wonder if it'll ever come out that these guys were paid off to endorse Bowman. I wouldn't be a bit surprised. Not really sure how they're so cool with him, doesn't add up to me.
Sheldon Kennedy had similar experiences to the others in this case. Manipulators and abusers know exactly what to do to garner support. Kennedy was either paid (donations to his orgs) very handsomely to endorse Bowman and/or masterfully manipulated to flip.

100% Kennedy's npo got a big fat cheque. I work in a large org that doles out money to countless npos for good press.
You beat me to it.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I wonder if it'll ever come out that these guys were paid off to endorse Bowman. I wouldn't be a bit surprised. Not really sure how they're so cool with him, doesn't add up to me.
Yeh I dunno, I can’t see that. That’s a conspiracy theory that would throw Sheldon Kennedys entire integrity and all the good work he’s done in the trash. I don’t think a conspiracy theory is needed to understand this hiring, Kennedys letter of recommendation and understanding the limits of Bowman’s negligence in this situation is enough to understand this.

100% Kennedy's npo got a big fat cheque. I work in a large org that doles out money to countless npos for good press.
So now we are just going to speculate and assume out of thin air that Kennedy himself is corrupt and a rapist enabler?

It can’t just be that maybe Bowman made a fireable mistake as part of the managerial dynamics he was part of, and he wants to make up for that mistake because he’s not actually a piece of shit?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I’m no fan of Bowman, but that’s no reason to accuse Kennedy of selling out.

Like I said earlier, there’s a good chance Bowman really did do a lot during his rehab. Whether or not you think he was sincere or if it is enough to atone for his grave errors are up for debate.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

So they paid Beach and Kennedy is what you're saying? That is the absolute height of cynicism and willfully refusing to see the facts over your feelings of outrage.

Or perhaps Beach is a human being and realized Bowman was trying to make amends for his mistake of assuming his higher ups were going to handle it and saw that Bowman was sincere in his efforts and found it in his heart to forgive him and try to make the world a better place for others who might be exposed one day to what he was. Maybe Kennedy is trying to make the world a better place as well and sees in Bowman someone who has been in a position of unwitting silence and now understands fully the damage silence can do and he has used him to help educate others?

Last edited:

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
what npo does Kennedy run? Because Respect group is a for profit organization. It’s good to know what you’re talking about before you open your mouth. But you’re so smart Pavel, your large org is lucky to have someone as smart as you.

Reactions: oilers'72

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Is keith still apart of the organization??? I wonder of he was asked about bowman in any way shape or form.....
As of the playoffs he was. He was seen in the post game in the locker room supporting the team. If he had been consulted I imagine he’d say nothing but positive things about Bowman. They won 3 cups together and Bowman despite the outrage has never done anything near POS territory until this Beach incident and the subsequent mishandling of it.

Reactions: oilers'72

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

It's called "being charitable". Pretty much any business that gives to non profits and charities wants some good press out of the deal.

You are the biggest cynic on this topic and your unwillingness to accept that Kennedy is working hard with Bowman is ridiculous already.

Yes, a highly respected individual like Kennedy is taking money in exchange for fake endorsements is actually worse than Bowman's ignorant silence, as you are saying Kennedy is willingly putting his financial well being ahead of educating the hundreds of people he "works with" (there are those words again) and thus perhaps leaving them exposed to future assaults.

Bowman was ignorant. However your stance is willful ignorance of the highest order but continue on from your moral perch if it makes you feel better.

And explain Beach's working with him or was he paid off too?

Sheldon Kennedy had similar experiences to the others in this case. Manipulators and abusers know exactly what to do to garner support. Kennedy was either paid (donations to his orgs) very handsomely to endorse Bowman and/or masterfully manipulated to flip.

You beat me to it.

Your full of shit, f*** off to your own forum.

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I learned a lot listening to the cult of hockey video on it. There was a lot of detail of what actually happened and what Bowman did to remedy it to the best of his ability.

I am ok with the hiring in that regard. What I am a little disappointed in is the lack of a pure analytics hire. With the team we have, going in an analytics direction could have transformed the old boys club if we had extreme success. A historic missed opportunity

I'm not sure what or who you were looking for in a 'pure analytics' hire. Would like to better understand what you mean. Jackson has been clear and committed to upgrading the information/analytics area to support decision making and hired Parkatti to lead it. He hired Bowman for shared philosophical beliefs in building a best of class organization citing information/analytics based decision making along with development; innovative mindset and other core beliefs.

Bowman is a University of Notre Dame graduate with degrees in Finance and Computer Applications which would foster strong foundation for analytics. His early work in hockey focused on analytics-based projects and he's spoken of the Hawks use of analytics as a competitive advantage during their years as a dominant team.

I personally don't view Bowman as a traditional hockey thinking. But rather see a similar growth mindset that aligns well with the progressive beliefs of Jeff Jackson.

EDIT: Just to add some of the early assistant work was under GM Mike Smith who was viewed as an early innovator/adopter of analytics in hockey. A piece here gives a bit of insight into Smith Meet The Man Behind The NHL’s Russian Revolution

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad