Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Wasn't his meddling, it was his hiring of his fart catchers like Lowe and Nicholson.

Lowe was a good GM but a disaster of a president. His hiring of Nicholson set the franchise back.
Yakupov was Katz's pick. That was the only meddling I know of. Oilers would have picked Ryan Murray. It's kind of a washed up. With that said, if Oilers drafted Murray, maybe he doesn't run into those injuries

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
This year and next year it'll be very tough to squeeze everyone in. After that I think it gets easier from here, as Edmonton IMO have a better prospect pool than Chicago did after their championships. The Savoie trade boosted our prospect pool quite nicely and came at the right time. While I agree Bowman had his faults, I think he learnt from his mistakes during that cap crunch. Plus he's also working with Jackson who has full autonomy of what gets approved. While I do not like the hire, I try to see light in it.
We are sure as hell going to find out. The Draisaitl situation is going to be interesting. I am rooting for the Oilers regardless of the GM, I hate the hire completely and am never going to like Bowman but I love the players and the fan base. Lets face it, every Oilers GM is pretty much hated or will be after a while 😊

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
What's even more puzzling is that Jackson (or whoever) did a fine job in the UFA period. They got laser focused on one guy... Again.
JJ isn’t going anywhere. The same negotiation processes, targeting, scouting of players is still going to happen.

JJ and his team can obviously get things done in this League. They’ve shown that with this off season, the trades and the signings. If you trusted those trades and signings and all the many great hires JJ has done thus far, it should give you some optimism for this next move.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I wasn’t even sure what you guys were talking about.

And then I remembered it’s because I triggered all you snowflake boomers for telling you to get over the name change of the elks lmao

It’s really interesting how many people get so upset about something as meaningless as the name change of an organization or some stupid comment from three years ago but those same posters are then completely willing to excuse negligence when it comes to covering up sexual violence.
giphy.gif

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Sorry, people making light of sexual violence is a bit of a touchy subject for some. That’s what the Blackhawks organization did with their inactions. And people are in here defending it. I’m not even upset about the Bowman hiring for that reason (I think he’s just a crappy GM). But the people in here acting as if he wasn’t negligent are gross.

Go ahead and throw in a gif or make fun of it. I know where I stand. I’m not ashamed of calling it out after having already spent half a dozen posts being civil about it.

Cool you think covering up rape is a joke though. You do you champ.
I don’t think rape is a joke.

I think you’re the joke and seeing you lose your cool like a child is entertaining.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
What's even more puzzling is that Jackson (or whoever) did a fine job in the UFA period. They got laser focused on one guy... Again.
Which is the one hope I have. Maybe this turns out to be a brilliant hire from a merit standpoint. Jackson has been amazing at everything else in his time.

Reactions: oilers'72

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Wasn't his meddling, it was his hiring of his fart catchers like Lowe and Nicholson.

Lowe was a good GM but a disaster of a president. His hiring of Nicholson set the franchise back.
Katz wanted Yakupov. Katz wanted to be competitive out of the McDavid draft instead making the obvious retool.

There was never a proper trajectory for this team to contend.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Optics were bad with Kane. Optics were bad with Perry. They both came in and did their jobs with professionalism (sans Kane laziness) and contributed to the team in a positive manner both on and off the ice. I find it hard to care about optics at this point. What I care about is what these players actually did or actually didn’t do. With both players after looking into it, there was something but not worth cancelling someone over. And the rage that happened over these signings was expected by the haters and overblown by those that didn’t take the time to understand what exactly happened that made them controversial hires. I see it similar with Bowman. He f***ed up, he relied on his boss’s word that he’d take care of it then made a false assumption that it was taken care of. A managerial failure that deserves firing, but not jailing. No crime was committed here, not anything close to it, the real crime is the rape that Aldrich commited. Outrage should be pointed at the monster of a rapist that compromised the future life of young players and compromised the life’s work of these older managers.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yakupov was Katz's pick. That was the only meddling I know of. Oilers would have picked Ryan Murray. It's kind of a washed up. With that said, if Oilers drafted Murray, maybe he doesn't run into those injuries
Well...there was a lot of talk on here back in the day about the red wine summits with Katz and his 'boys on the bus' gang.
Safe to say that there was plenty of meddling as a result of those 'meetings'.
Katz set this team back a few years right out of the gate IMO.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
They still won 3 Cups lol. I also heard that Tallon did not want Hossa. He wanted to re-sign Martin Havlat. Bowman pushed heavily for Hossa. Tallon got fired 14 days after free agent frenzy that year
Dude- you think he did a smash up job driving the blackhawks off a cliff with 2 superstars I. Their prime is good management because he won 3 cups with a team he inherited?

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Ok please lecture me more then.
Don’t need to. You’re embarrassing yourself enough. I mean, defending a guy who was notified of sexual assault and decided not to inform the police is something else. Calling putting vulnerable people, including children at risk “a mistake” is something. You do you.

what do you think should've happened to him?

why are you assume Bowman knew the extent of sexual assault?
What do I think should have happened? Not getting an NHL job as a GM for starters.

Now you are arguing at “extent” of assault? Wow. How about you enlighten me at what extent of sexual assault you think is passable

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I don’t think rape is a joke.

I think you’re the joke and seeing you lose your cool like a child is entertaining.
I think he wants the Oilers to be deemed a trash franchise that hires he worst people. He seems to enjoy it, that’s why he doesnt mind when the haters call Kane a wife beater. He enjoys the hate the Oilers get.

Reactions: oilers'72

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Bowman's downfall aside from the dirt, was rewarding the guys who won them 3 cups and not letting some of them go when they were showing signs of decline. He could have traded Toews, Kane, Keith, even Seabrook before they started breaking down.

Even a team like Vegas is already looking to ship out one of Theodore/Pietrangelo
Add to that he was not being able to manage the cap and overpaying for useless players. It was the chiarelli school of GMing- downgrade the team with every trade until you’re in the decade of darkness. As the Chicago beat writer said on Gregor yesterday- the Blackhawks are still trying to get out of that hole

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Bowman's downfall aside from the dirt, was rewarding the guys who won them 3 cups and not letting some of them go when they were showing signs of decline. He could have traded Toews, Kane, Keith, even Seabrook before they started breaking down.

Even a team like Vegas is already looking to ship out one of Theodore/Pietrangelo
After the 3 Cups though. Regardless of what GM we pick, that GM would reward McD and Drai with that same loyalty if they brought a Cup back to this Cup-starved marketplace. I don’t think it’s exclusive to Stan.

And the teams that don’t reward cups with loyalty are the no tax teams that can get anyone they want at great value. We aren’t that, nor are Chicago.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Well...there was a lot of talk on here back in the day about the red wine summits with Katz and his 'boys on the bus' gang.
Safe to say that there was plenty of meddling as a result of those 'meetings'.
Katz set this team back a few years right out of the gate IMO.

Yakupov was the consensus no.1 overall pick anyway. People acting like the Oilers went off the board, Yakupov was supposed to be the player that Kucherov is now.

If the Oilers had passed on him and he had gone on to become a superstar somewhere else, we'd never hear the end of it. Beyond that, Ryan Murray sucked too.

Chiarelli dug his own grave when the hockey gods gifted him ... Barzal/Kyle Conner/Boeser/Erikson Ek/Chabot and he opted to rubber stamp a trade for Griffin Reinhart. He then passed on DeBrincat to take Benson.
He then passed on Tkachuk to take Puljujarvi.

He then bet the next 6 years on Lucic being the top winger.

You can get some of these wrong, but if you get ALL of them wrong, you can't really cry later that you screwed yourself. It's like a game of hockey and missing 4 empty net tap ins and then opting for a wind up slapshot on a breakaway that goes 5 feet over the net and then wondering after the game why you lost.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Not happy they decided to give this clown another chance to just jump back into another GM's chair.
He thought nothing of it for well over 10 years even after Aldrich was convicted of SA of high schoolers a few years later. We're supposed to believe he's a totally changed man?
Just terrible.

Reactions: greatwhitenorth

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
I learned a lot listening to the cult of hockey video on it. There was a lot of detail of what actually happened and what Bowman did to remedy it to the best of his ability.

I am ok with the hiring in that regard. What I am a little disappointed in is the lack of a pure analytics hire. With the team we have, going in an analytics direction could have transformed the old boys club if we had extreme success. A historic missed opportunity

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I learned a lot listening to the cult of hockey video on it. There was a lot of detail of what actually happened and what Bowman did to remedy it to the best of his ability.

I am ok with the hiring in that regard. What I am a little disappointed in is the lack of a pure analytics hire. With the team we have, going in an analytics direction could have transformed the old boys club if we had extreme success. A historic missed opportunity
I agree with this.
I think that a few posters on here would do well to listen to that COH podcast.

Last edited:

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
This is like when you find out an actor, artist or musician you really like is a huge piece of shit. Can you separate the art from the artist? Can you separate the players from management? This is the struggle.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

If you read the actual report, the only thing he did to the best of his ability was tell John McDonough and then wash his hands of the whole thing for an entire decade. That's chickenshit stuff.

There's that but if they wanted an old school hockey man they could have hired any of a dozen guys without the sheer amount of baggage this guy carries.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Can anyone explain to me how Chevy has basically evaded any and all backlash or questioning for the incident? He was an Assistant GM too, and was present at some of the same meetings as Bowman where they were informed that something was going on.

Is there a reason he didn't and still doesn't get the same amount of heat for not saying anything or following up?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad