Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & Executive VP- press conference at 10:30

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
If bowman is willing to implement good programs to help and support all players it can make a positive impact in the end.

I would like to see the oilers create a culture where even a marginal player is treated well and not as a lower class player. Able to have groups issues addressed.

No bullying is any kind should be part of the culture.

More than the initial incident. Beach should have been given unlimited choice in counseling and had someone to talk to if he got bullied. A path created somehow to try and get him an opportunity for a chance to get his career going.

The initial incident can't be changed but if any bad incidents happen there needs to be a system is support for the player

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
The required actions had nothing to do with going to the media.
Morally, he *should* have went above and beyond and did what was required. Still fear of losing your livelihood. Sh** situation all around. Owner? That guy just paid his fine and went along his merry way

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Panarin in Chicago was Kane's dance partner but he was also like Kuzmenko. Just floating around. Unfit for that team. Saad was a key player in those champioships. Chicago thought they were getting the same guy the second time around.
Lmao at defending that trade. I feel like I could tell you Bowman stomped a puppy to death and you’d say he needed to do it because it would have helped their defensive structure.

Reactions: Broberg Speed

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
There was lots of blowback to the Deshaun Watson trade and sign by the Browns a couple of years back.

Similar reactions to this, people stating they were done supporting the franchise etc

Yet everybody still packed the field and tuned in when the season actually began

Right or wrong I see the same thing happening here

Sound's like your average Reddit User
That Watson trade / signing still blows my mind. You are right though. The backlash was huge but people got over it. The fans came. The team wasn’t black balled by other teams. If Watson bounces back to 2020 Watson I’m willing to bet his jersey is a best seller.

Sure there will be a handful of fans that switch teams but it won’t be noticeable at all.

Reactions: LevelingSolo

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Morally, he *should* have went above and beyond and did what was required. Still fear of losing your livelihood. Sh** situation all around. Owner? That guy just paid his fine and went along his merry way

Yeah f*** the owner. f*** that entire franchise. f*** everyone who was involved with letting him go without even holding an investigation to determine what happened. f*** everyone involved who didn’t provide adequate support to the player who was raped until they were sued years later.

It was disgusting. And it’s disgusting that there are people in here trying to suggest Bowman didn’t actually do anything wrong when the man himself has admitted he needed to do more.

I’ve tried really hard to be civil about this conversation lol. But I’m done with it.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
He was overpriced but still useful. MS would end anyone's career.

Panarin in Chicago was Kane's dance partner but he was also like Kuzmenko. Just floating around. Unfit for that team. Saad was a key player in those champioships. Chicago thought they were getting the same guy the second time around.
Saad was a fan favourite and a great player but you don’t trade a player that was basically a ppg in his first 2 seasons for him. It was obvious he was going to be a superstar.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Yeah f*** the owner. f*** that entire franchise. f*** everyone who was involved with letting him go without even holding an investigation to determine what happened. f*** everyone involved who didn’t provide adequate support to the player who was raped until they were sued years later.

It was disgusting. And it’s disgusting that there are people in here trying to suggest Bowman didn’t actually do anything wrong when the man himself has admitted he needed to do more.

I’ve tried really hard to be civil about this conversation lol. But I’m done with it.
lol you are always losing your temper here.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

IMG_5629.gif

Calm down, this is your second meltdown this week. The blood pressure must be through the roof.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Saad was a fan favourite and a great player but you don’t trade a player that was basically a ppg in his first 2 seasons for him. It was obvious he was going to be a superstar.

Quenneville loved his big two-way guys, so makes sense that Bowman tried to bring those types in.

Probably the same reason they didn't see much of a loss in using Teravainen to get rid of Bickell's deal. Bowman ended up bringing in Richard Panik for nothing and he replaced his points.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
His best stretch of work was 2010-2015. He basically took a roster that was gutted by a cap purge made necessary by Tallon’s mismanagement, and rebuilt the depth in 2 years into a team that basically tore apart the NHL for the next 3 seasons.

That may not seem like much, but for comparison’s sake it took 7 years for Pittsburgh to do the same around Crosby, Malkin and Letang.

His drafting was actually generally pretty good too, he just ended up trading pretty much all of his best prospects in win-now deals to bring in vets or ship out bad contracts. I think in terms of actual NHL games played, the Blackhawks did really well in the draft under him… they just didnt end up playing for the Blackhawks.

This was a response I received when I asked what are some things Bowman can bring to the table on one of the threads on main board.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

I think this post needs that MOD EDIT attached to it

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I also felt he was being very smug about it too. He also does strike me as that kind of guy, especially given his background in the hockey community too so it kind of fits...
Interesting how we all perceive things differently. I went back to rewatch the presser and my impression remains of Jackson as a cool, analytical, deep thinker who is cautious with his language. Training as a lawyer and skilled negotiator he is purposeful with brevity. Personally think this can maybe give off an aloof vibe but a telling insight about him for me was one of the Sheldon Kennedy interviews. Kennedy mentioned early on in revealing his own abuse Jackson was one of first and few to believe him and offered to help. Strong statement of action versus talk.

Will say how similar I perceive Jackson and Bowman in their thinking style and communication style. We'll all watch to see how this executive leadership group conducts itself moving forward. I'm hopeful but we'll see.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
His best stretch of work was 2010-2015. He basically took a roster that was gutted by a cap purge made necessary by Tallon’s mismanagement, and rebuilt the depth in 2 years into a team that basically tore apart the NHL for the next 3 seasons.

That may not seem like much, but for comparison’s sake it took 7 years for Pittsburgh to do the same around Crosby, Malkin and Letang.

His drafting was actually generally pretty good too, he just ended up trading pretty much all of his best prospects in win-now deals to bring in vets or ship out bad contracts. I think in terms of actual NHL games played, the Blackhawks did really well in the draft under him… they just didnt end up playing for the Blackhawks.

This was a response I received when I asked what are some things Bowman can bring to the table on one of the threads on main board.

My view of Bowman's work is that he actually did a really good job from 2010-15. I even recall thinking he was one of the league's better GMs at the time. A lot of people seem to forget that a lot of quality depth players had to go from the 2010 team for cap reasons and the 2011 and 2012 Blackhawks were still a good team, but far from the juggernaught version we were used to in 2010 and 2013-17. They barely made the playoffs in 2011 and lost in the first round to AZ in 2012. Bowman gets slagged because the core was built by Tallon, and the 2010 team for sure was Tallon's, but Bowman himself filled in the blanks to get the 2013 and 15 cups. I think it's a mistake to dismiss that, because we know full well here that having an elite core doesn't guarantee any success or close to it.

However, he unwound a bit from 2015-17, then completely imploded from 2017 forward. His tenure there can be split into two chunks with starkly different results in each.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
View attachment 897067

Calm down, this is your second meltdown this week. The blood pressure must be through the roof.
Sorry, people making light of sexual violence is a bit of a touchy subject for some. That’s what the Blackhawks organization did with their inactions. And people are in here defending it. I’m not even upset about the Bowman hiring for that reason (I think he’s just a crappy GM). But the people in here acting as if he wasn’t negligent are gross.

Go ahead and throw in a gif or make fun of it. I know where I stand. I’m not ashamed of calling it out after having already spent half a dozen posts being civil about it.

Cool you think covering up rape is a joke though. You do you champ.

Last edited:

BIeucheeseWithWings

Shlt Poster
Jul 9, 2022
Sorry, people making light of sexual violence is a bit of a touchy subject for some. That’s what the Blackhawks organization did with their inactions. And people are in here defending it. I’m not even upset about the Bowman hiring for that reason (I think he’s just a crappy GM). But the people in here acting as if he wasn’t negligent are gross.

Go ahead and throw in a gif or make fun of it. I know where I stand. I’m not ashamed of calling it out after having already spent half a dozen posts being civil about it.
Close the HF tab. It's not that deep.

Reactions: oilers'72

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

I don't think anywhere here is acting as if he wasn't negligent.

Saying Bowman was negligent, and flying off the handle saying he should be banished forever, trumping up what he did to make it seem worse, dismissing any efforts he made to learn/atone for his negligence, dismissing any endorsement from Beach or Kennedy, etc, etc are all completely different things.

Last edited:

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Not one Oiler fan wants this hire. People are just trying to see the positive side of it. Fans can do a petition and have him fired the next day and it'll just be another day for us. We all know Jackson is the one pulling the strings anyway.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Nvm not worth the time
I don't think anywhere here is acting as if he wasn't negligent.

Saying Bowman was negligent, and flying off the handle saying he should be banished forever, trumping up what he did to make it seem worse, dismissing any efforts he made to learn/atone for his negligence, dismissing any endorsement from Beach or Aldrich, etc, etc are all completely different things.
I haven’t suggested a single time Bowman should be banished forever. I haven’t even suggested the Oilers shouldn’t have hired him due to his role in the scandal in Chicago.

The only times I’ve responded in this thread regarding the situation in Chicago are when people have tried to downplay or excuse his negligence in the initial situation. Something Bowman himself doesn’t even do.

Otherwise my posts are just in regard to his performance as a GM. Which imo is extremely lacking.

Reactions: greatwhitenorth

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think this post needs that MOD EDIT attached to it
Which part? The part where I condemn everyone involved with covering up a rape by a perpetrator who would then go on and victimize multiple others including a minor?

Or the part where I say it’s disgusting that anyone would defend those actions when the person in question won’t even defend them and has spent the past 2 years trying to make amends and learn from his mistake?

I’d love to know which part you have a problem with.

Reactions: greatwhitenorth

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
Very disappointed at first thought simply because we are coming off game 7 with an awesome off season so far. Don't want the negativity surrounding this hire but after listening to all, the action he has taken and to know he has been in communication with the victim is demonstrative of him trying to become a better person.

I believe in second chances.

@Spawn take it easy brother. We are all friends here. Lets talk....call me!

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Excuse me? I was warning fellow HF Board members about him. What f***ing critical thinking skills do I not possess that you do?

LOL disinformation? Like what?? What the hell did I do wrong in warning fellow HFOil friends?
HFOil friends don’t need to know that 90% of the Xcrements posted there are nonsense, lies and bullshit. Cause we know. You post a lot of stuff from essentially nothing social media accounts.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Which part? The part where I condemn everyone involved with covering up a rape by a perpetrator who would then go on and victimize multiple others including a minor?

Or the part where I say it’s disgusting that anyone would defend those actions when the person in question won’t even defend them and has spent the past 2 years trying to make amends and learn from his mistake?

I’d love to know which part you have a problem with.
You're getting so worked up that you can't even see I was joking. Time to take a breather my friend

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Daryl Katz is they reason they haven't won a Cup. His meddling set them back years. This may be the first GM in a long while that didn't inherit a problemed roster.
Wasn't his meddling, it was his hiring of his fart catchers like Lowe and Nicholson.

Lowe was a good GM but a disaster of a president. His hiring of Nicholson set the franchise back.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Cool you think covering up rape is a joke though. You do you champ.
I don’t really think people are making light of the situation.
Just people pointing out how easy it was to make that mistake and discussing the nuance in the level of culpability and responsibility.
It basically details the difference between a guy who should and could have done more, didn’t and probably learned from it and the other guys who actively decided to do nothing about it (his boss).

I don’t think he should be GM but (not saying you are) people are literally saying that Bowman is Pro Rape and Pedophilia and shit, like it’s wild.

Reactions: oilers'72 and K1984

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad