Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & EVP of Hockey Ops

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
No it doesn’t. But if you think it does, then stop supporting the NHL which allows Bowman to get a job. But of course you won’t, and this is just a veiled attempt to attack the Oilers and its fanbase, as you always do anyways.

Sad to see you try to justify the hiring of a person who turned a blind eye to a young adult being sexual molested since he plays for your favorite team...

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Sad to see you try to justify the hiring of a person who turned a blind eye to a young adult being sexual molested since he plays for your favorite team...
Sad that Kennedy did the same?

Also, sad that you support a League that you think allowed the hiring of a person who turned a blind eye to an adult being sexually molested.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I don’t know the mind of victims. That’s a deep psychological issue that I don’t understand.

But I do know that it’s probably best to not blame the victim.
I'll address both of these things.

First, you're talking about deep psychological issues for the victim, but you don't consider the psychological issues for the Blackhawk staff. I imagine it was difficult for them as well, and they had to consider many different things. It's always easy to yell from the sidelines without complete information.

Second. What is with this "don't blame the victim"-thing? Do you know the only person who the victim can control? Themselves. Their own actions. If all you're doing is blaming external forces, you're removing agency from yourself. I've noticed this trend in alleviating the victims of all blame, and I think that it's very troublesome. You can only affect the things you can affect, so affect them.

Dealing with sexual assault and harrassment on yourself begins with reporting it to the police.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
You are bending over backwards to pass the buck and absolve as many CHI officials as you can of any responsibility.
Actually, I’m taking information directly from the investigation into what happened.
You should try using facts.

Funny part is I’m not a Bowman fan. … too many mistakes after 2015 put the team behind the curve.

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
While I don't dispute their teammates opinions on both players, hockey locker rooms are a very tight niche comradery, every player quickly defends one another, any small crack or quip can really have a group suffer.

It still doesn't excuse the bizarre pattern of the Oilers seemingly being a second chance recluse for people that have proven issues.

Have to look at it from both sides, there is room for redemption and forgiveness, but the fan base homerism for just ignoring the past is weirdly discouraging.
I believe many/ most fan bases can not handle giving hockey players second chances. Hockey in Edmonton is king, people live, breath, die hockey. Other cities have other professional teams to cheer for.
When people like Kane or Stan come in many fans look into the issues, read up on them and look for the good as well as the bad. Yes, they do lean hard on the positive as they want the Oilers to succeed and they are aware of the negatives.
Look at all the non-fact comments in this thread, the rumours just snowballed and few posters actually looked at the investigation report, just fed off the comments made here.
It is a problem with all things we humans do (social media is the major cause imo) we are all guilty of it at some point.

I’m not saying that Bowman committed a crime. I’m just saying that he wasn’t prohibited from reporting one.
How many people on here have watched or let an impaired driver get behind the wheel.
You know what they say about living in glass houses

Reactions: Space umpire

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Okay so assuming everything you have typed here is accurate, what did Bowman and Q do after they were stunned to see Aldritch at the UC a few weeks later? What did they do in the following months/years? What did they do when they found out he became employed at a high school in a position where he could offend again?
What should they have done?
Beach didn’t want it made public.
Some of you are acting like Bowman was told to never bring it up again once MacIsaac said he would handle it. That isn't the case, or at least has never been brought up as having been the case. Nothing stopped Bowman from doing the right thing and following up.
Follow up how?
What exactly was he to follow up on?

He can’t go running around making claims when the (at the time) alleged victim refuses to go public.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
I'll address both of these things.

First, you're talking about deep psychological issues for the victim, but you don't consider the psychological issues for the Blackhawk staff. I imagine it was difficult for them as well, and they had to consider many different things. It's always easy to yell from the sidelines without complete information.

Second. What is with this "don't blame the victim"-thing? Do you know the only person who the victim can control? Themselves. Their own actions. If all you're doing is blaming external forces, you're removing agency from yourself. I've noticed this trend in alleviating the victims of all blame, and I think that it's very troublesome. You can only affect the things you can affect, so affect them.

Dealing with sexual assault and harrassment on yourself begins with reporting it to the police.
many victims of sexual assault are unable to discuss it. Let alone report it to police. Not everyone can say to a detective “this man ***** his ***** in my ****.”

I believe many/ most fan bases can not handle giving hockey players second chances. Hockey in Edmonton is king, people live, breath, die hockey. Other cities have other professional teams to cheer for.
When people like Kane or Stan come in many fans look into the issues, read up on them and look for the good as well as the bad. Yes, they do lean hard on the positive as they want the Oilers to succeed and they are aware of the negatives.
Look at all the non-fact comments in this thread, the rumours just snowballed and few posters actually looked at the investigation report, just fed off the comments made here.
It is a problem with all things we humans do (social media is the major cause imo) we are all guilty of it at some point.

How many people on here have watched or let an impaired driver get behind the wheel.
I don’t know your point here.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

“Other people allow crime to happen, I’m assuming you do, and all crime is equal, so this is totally fine! My logic is sound!” -this guy.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I just want to remind everyone, that this thread currently does NOT have a mod warning, which is spectacular.

IMG_6488.jpeg

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Absolutely disgusting act from a scumbag organization.

Anyone who can cheer for that team baffles me. Even if you were born in Edmonton, at some point you have to figure out your home team is scum.

• Love
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Have you ever been an NHL executive with the know how to make this statement?
I've managed in enough companies to know there is a hierarchy, you do not over step. It is bad for business and company moral.

This is such a bad take.

As mentioned, I have a lot of experience as the "boss" of a company of about 200 people. That's twice the size of an average NHL team.

Nothing happens in a company that size without everyone knowing about it within hours. If one of my managers came to me about a sexual assault against another employee, I can guarantee you everyone else knew.

Now, add to that the fact that nothing happened for three weeks, and you have a recipe for massive revolt within a company.

I have employees who get bent out of shape about someone taking an extra 15 minutes on a lunch break! I'm trying to imagine the outcry about someone being sexually assaulted.

Do you know what's bad for morale? Ignoring something like this because you're in the middle of a play-off run. If I had done that, my Board of Directors would have fired me in a heartbeat, and rightfully so. I can also guarantee that after some time has passed, no other company will pick me up as their COO, no matter how good my P&L was in the past.

Bad for morale!?!? What a ludicrous statement.....

Know what, 10 years ago you didn't. Today you do

Completely false........

.....maybe 30 years ago.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Stan Bowman:
-gets great sports job because he is somebody's kid
-displays gross professional negligence as a GM, at the very least playing a passive part in the cover up of sexual assault
-the consequences of doing so leads to a minor being assaulted
-resigns in disgrace after also running the team straight into the ground
-literally has to be officially reinstated and endorsed to work again in the NHL(who let's be real, are not exactly the paragon of professional excellence on their best day)

Some fans: I'm not even so sure this man has done anything wrong in his life! Sounds like it was somebody else's fault.

Edmonton Oilers: BUT THREE STANLEY CUPS!!!

Last edited:

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
He wasn’t the 1st person who knew. They all found out at the same time.

Quit pretending you know what happened.
READ THE REPORT
Which part of the report do you find particularly compelling? Is there a certain contradiction? Or maybe one of the many times someone said "I don't recall"?

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
This league is such trash. Every other professional league shuts this kinda stuff down immediately and the consequences are always lifetime bans. Look at the NBA, look at the NFL. The NHL is such a joke of a league, once Garry Buttman f***s off and retires/dies maybe they’ll be some semblance of integrity.
So sick of this organization making blatantly terrible decisions
I understand the frustration, but literally every other league doesn’t shut this down. There are tons of criminals on and off the field in the NFL. This is a problem across all sports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad