Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & EVP of Hockey Ops

CF84

I want to go home, O I want to go home!
Feb 21, 2017
The real cowtown, AB
No. You can report whatever you want. I guess I was trying to say, in this case that it would be pointless if the adult victim of the sexual assault refused to be a part of involving the police and you did not witness it.
When did Beach ever state that he would refuse to cooperate with authorities? He brought the issue forwards to the organization and was not treated properly. When a kid brings an assault forwards to an adult they trust at a school, should we all say "well, that kid didn't go to the proper authority. Tough luck kid! No justice for you." No, it is up to an organization/company/school to do the right thing and go to the police when they are made aware of a possible crime. I understand that he was a young adult, but that still doesn't remove responsibility from an organization once they've been made aware of an assault. It's easy to feel defeated as an individual when you bring an allegation forwards to company or school only to feel like the problem yourself when they respond with a frustration that's often wrongly directed towards the victim instead of the criminal.

I have little doubt that Beach would have continued to cooperate had the Blackhawks done the proper thing and made him feel heard by bringing the matter to the police.

Crow

May 19, 2014
When did Beach ever state that he would refuse to cooperate with authorities? He brought the issue forwards to the organization and was not treated properly. When a kid brings an assault forwards to an adult they trust at a school, should we all say "well, that kid didn't go to the proper authority. Tough luck kid! No justice for you." No, it is up to an organization/company/school to do the right thing and go to the police when they are made aware of a possible crime. I understand that he was a young adult, but that still doesn't remove responsibility from an organization once they've been made aware of an assault. It's easy to feel defeated as an individual when you bring an allegation forwards to company or school only to feel like the problem yourself when they respond with a frustration that's often wrongly directed towards the victim instead of the criminal.

I have little doubt that Beach would have continued to cooperate had the Blackhawks done the proper thing and made him feel heard by bringing the matter to the police.
Beach was free to go to the authorities at any point and did not. He does not need to “state it” explicitly. He may have stated it to someone or not. He chose to remain anonymous which I’m sure was an extremely difficult choice that weighed on him heavily for years. He continued to make that choice to remain private for many years. An organization has an obligation to respect his privacy.

The rest of what you said is drivel about children and conjecture about what happened and what was said and what would have happened differently if what you are assuming happened didn’t happen and something else did happen. GMAB

Reactions: Space umpire

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
You still have a moral obligation to do it in a way that respects the victims wishes to remain private. That’s what the poster said and you decided to twist it into some weird shit that wasn’t there. No surprise to me you can’t find any nuance.

Well how did their respecting everyone's privacy work out for the subsequent victims? Not wanting it to necessarily go legal doesn't mean the victim wants nothing done ... if that were the case why did he inform the org at all? Clearly he wanted something done.

I've seen enough HR situations to know, they only really start looking for "nuance" in situations like these when they would really really like for it to just go away.

I didn’t say that at all.

I’m saying that given how everything unfolded it stands to reason that Beach didn’t want the public to know what had happened. Its pretty common for victims of SA to not want it to become public knowledge, especially for males and even more when it’s perpetrated by another male, which is why the overwhelming majority of SA against men go unreported.

An internal investigation doesn't have to be public. Removing the person in question from solo contact with other people pending the results, would be pretty standard.

Taking years to do a real investigation just shows they really had no interest in dealing with it. Which is another common reason why victims don't come forward, because a lot of companies end up doing nothing, and it's why predators keep getting away with it.

CF84

Feb 21, 2017
The real cowtown, AB
Beach was free to go to the authorities at any point and did not. He does not need to “state it” explicitly. He may have stated it to someone or not. He chose to remain anonymous which I’m sure was an extremely difficult choice that weighed on him heavily for years. He continued to make that choice to remain private for many years. An organization has an obligation to respect his privacy.

The rest of what you said is drivel about children and conjecture about what happened and what was said and what would have happened differently if what you are assuming happened didn’t happen and something else did happen. GMAB
You are obtuse if you believe they were "protecting" Kyle Beach. They only protected themselves and the perpetrator who went on to harm others. You are literally defending the actions of an organization that was found to be in the wrong. The NHL fined the Hawks for their inaction and wrongdoing.

The Hawks would have been applauded had they done the right thing.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Imagine being the only person defending a guy who allowed a young kid to get sexually abused under his watch cause a person under him told him to keep quiet cause it's the playoffs.
Imagine spreading lies

Bowman should of been banned from the sport altogether, let alone being employed once again by a NHL team. Extremely tacky move by the Oilers management here.
First part is on NHL, police and/or the judicial system.

Crow

May 19, 2014
You are obtuse if you believe they were "protecting" Kyle Beach. They only protected themselves and the perpetrator who went on to harm others. You are literally defending the actions of an organization that was found to be in the wrong. The NHL fined the Hawks for their inaction and wrongdoing.

The Hawks would have been applauded had they done the right thing.
First of all, why did you put “protecting” in quotes as if I said that? I said they have an obligation to respect his privacy. If I were a victim of sexual assault I would want my decision to remain anonymous, and not pursue criminal charges that would expose my identity publicly respected.

I’m not defending anyone’s actions that actually happened in this. What Bowman, Q, and McDonaugh most off all did was morally reprehensible and I would have just left them banned from hockey.

You are conflating my objection to posters judging those individuals for what they believe they did or didn’t do with no basis in fact. Many of those beliefs don’t consider the reality of the situation or the implications of how it would play out. In no way do I want to minimize what they did. I also think it’s dishonest to exaggerate, add to and simplify what happened.

CF84

Feb 21, 2017
The real cowtown, AB
First of all, why did you put “protecting” in quotes as if I said that? I said they have an obligation to respect his privacy. If I were a victim of sexual assault I would want my decision to remain anonymous, and not pursue criminal charges that would expose my identity publicly respected.

I’m not defending anyone’s actions that actually happened in this. What Bowman, Q, and McDonaugh most off all did was morally reprehensible and I would have just left them banned from hockey.

You are conflating my objection to posters judging those individuals for what they believe they did or didn’t do with no basis in fact. Many of those beliefs don’t consider the reality of the situation or the implications of how it would play out. In no way do I want to minimize what they did. I also think it’s dishonest to exaggerate, add to and simplify what happened.
You wrote this earlier: "Some of the actions were taken to protect the victim."

I may have quoted the word with a different tense, but the meaning stays the same. You wrote it, not me.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Well how did their respecting everyone's privacy work out for the subsequent victims? Not wanting it to necessarily go legal doesn't mean the victim wants nothing done ... if that were the case why did he inform the org at all? Clearly he wanted something done.

I've seen enough HR situations to know, they only really start looking for "nuance" in situations like these when they would really really like for it to just go away.

An internal investigation doesn't have to be public. Removing the person in question from solo contact with other people pending the results, would be pretty standard.

Taking years to do a real investigation just shows they really had no interest in dealing with it. Which is another common reason why victims don't come forward, because a lot of companies end up doing nothing, and it's why predators keep getting away with it.
The original comment that kicked off our discussion was another poster stating he would bring it to the media’s attention and that’s where my point about victim privacy came from.

I agree that Aldrich should have been put on leave immediately pending an internal investigation that should have happened regardless of him choosing to resign. More importantly there should have been a lot of discussion with Beach about how he wanted to proceed.

Crow

May 19, 2014
You wrote this earlier: "Some of the actions were taken to protect the victim."

I may have quoted the word with a different tense, but the meaning stays the same. You wrote it, not me.
They took actions that protected his identity and privacy did they not?

CF84

Feb 21, 2017
The real cowtown, AB
"First of all, why did you put “protecting” in quotes as if I said that?"

You asked me this question and I simply answered you with your own quote. What kind of weird gaslighting loop is this lol? Keep it up.

Crow

May 19, 2014
"First of all, why did you put “protecting” in quotes as if I said that?"

You asked me this question and I simply answered you with your own quote. What kind of weird gaslighting loop is this lol? Keep it up.
I said the word protecting. Then you use it in a different context than I did - specifically more generally to imply I said something with a different meaning. I guess congratulations buddy you win the internet. Doesn’t look like you care to have an actual discussion

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
I guess that's one way to look at taking no action other than allowing him to quietly resign and go somewhere else to continue being a predator.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Imagine spreading lies

First part is on NHL, police and/or the judicial system.
Was he aware of a sexual assault by someone who worked under him? Was there a conversation he was involved in that included not worrying about it until after the playoff run? Are these lies? You're riding with one other dude in this thread, you're on the wrong side of this.

• Haha
Reactions: Skolman

Crow

May 19, 2014
I guess that's one way to look at taking no action other than allowing him to quietly resign and go somewhere else to continue being a predator.
Doing nothing for weeks and then doing very little was clearly the wrong move.

Going to the police and exposing Beach’s identity against his wishes would also be the wrong move.

Both can be true.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
Furthermore I would find it morally disgusting to take a sexual assault victim’s right to not pursue charges away from them.
The flip side of that coin is that you find it morally acceptable for a known sex offender to be allowed to seek out additional victims.

I didn’t say that at all.

I’m saying that given how everything unfolded it stands to reason that Beach didn’t want the public to know what had happened. Its pretty common for victims of SA to not want it to become public knowledge, especially for males and even more when it’s perpetrated by another male, which is why the overwhelming majority of SA against men go unreported.

I don’t believe Beach’s privacy had anything to do with the way they handled it, clearly protecting the finals run and the organization was top of mind for them. What I’m simply saying is that in these situations victim privacy should be a consideration and I think outing a victim who doesn’t want it to be public knowledge is a shitty thing to do.

If that’s the cost of exposing and prosecuting a known sex offender so he can’t add to his list of victims, then it’s always worth it no matter what the original victim wants.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Was he aware of a sexual assault by someone who worked under him? Was there a conversation he was involved in that included not worrying about it until after the playoff run? Are these lies? You're riding with one other dude in this thread, you're on the wrong side of this.
So what is the answer to your first question? Bowman's answer is No..
If that is a yes then NHL and police should have done more.

I am not riding with anything. You claim that I am "riding with bowman" is the lie. I am going by what is reported by all.

Ironically the f***er who you have as your hf name was a true criminal and should have been publicly hung. Anyone who supports matthews is also on the wrong side. That mooner is also a criminal if 2nd chances are to be ignored.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Imagine trying to connect this to fans in any way….

No one gonna not watch because your team hired a trash ass shitty GM
Well obviously, cause despite all the “outrage” over this hire, some of these outraged hockey fans wont put their money where their mouth is and boycott the League that allowed him employment. Some people want to use this situation as just an excuse to shit on the Oilers and call them trash. If these people really thought it was such an egregious hire they would boycott the League that allowed this to happen, would they not?

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
The flip side of that coin is that you find it morally acceptable for a known sex offender to be allowed to seek out additional victims.

If that’s the cost of exposing and prosecuting a known sex offender so he can’t add to his list of victims, then it’s always worth it no matter what the original victim wants.
So do you believe that by not going public with his story and pressing charges against Aldrich that Beach bears some responsibility for what happened to victims after him?

Crow

May 19, 2014

No, that’s just strange that your mind went there. It’s odd so many are completely out of touch with reality.

At the time he was not a known sex offender. He was a person accused of being one.

If you want my opinion of if the ends justify the means to make decisions in hindsight that’s a different situation entirely.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
So what is the answer to your first question? Bowman's answer is No..
If that is a yes then NHL and police should have done more.

I am not riding with anything. You claim that I am "riding with bowman" is the lie. I am going by what is reported by all.

Ironically the f***er who you have as your hf name was a true criminal and should have been publicly hung. Anyone who supports matthews is also on the wrong side. That mooner is also a criminal if 2nd chances are to be ignored.
Huh?
What are you talking about? Read my user name again. It has nothing to do with Dany Heatley

• Love
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad