Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & EVP of Hockey Ops

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Ah yes, the guy who fell into first and second overall picks, then ruined the core whilst giving a sexual predator a positive review so he could go sexually abuse more minors. That's exactly the type of person you go and hire as the GM.
There's a lot of reasons, both hockey and non-hockey related, to hate this hire. You don't need to make things up to get your point across.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
We deserve everything coming our way on this. I still fuming but I'm pretty much getting off this sinking ship. I love hockey but I'm not supporting this move or franchise for doing it.
I'm really conflicted man. I had reservations about Kane, about Perry, knowing how slimy Katz is.. bringing f***ing Virtanen in... Sickening that they'd bring in a guy who basically sat on a report of sexual assault and literally didn't do a damn thing, for a decade plus, and only when it finally came out did he do anything to respond.

I mean.. why the f*** would they do this, knowing that the damn players are going to face the music and have to answer all sorts of stupid shit? On social media, through actual media... like WTF are you even thinking, Jackson? This is a guy who didn't bother activating any kind of GM search so it 'wouldn't be a distraction' during the playoff run... only to bring in this f***ing asshole?

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Not much to say that hasn't already been said. Giving a known abuser a letter of recommendation to work in a high school is some vile, unthinkable shit. You actually have to have worms in your brain to be that evil

Good thing that didn't happen. The Jenner Block report found no evidence of anyone on the Hawks providing any sort of reference. Can't believe this still has legs.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I would find Sheldon Kennedy's's take on this far more insightful than many of the posts I've read here. He has a far more personal stake in this than most of us here.

"I was immediately struck by Stan’s genuine care and concern for Kyle, and what could have been done differently," Kennedy said. "During that period, we spoke almost daily about the seriousness of sexual abuse from the victim’s perspective. We didn’t talk about hockey at all. We focused on what went wrong, what he could have done differently and, most importantly, what could be done to prevent this from happening again."

Kennedy said Bowman's desire to acknowledge his mistakes and make amends with Beach were sincere and that he volunteered nearly full-time hours to help develop the Respect Charter and workshop curriculums. He added Bowman also co-facilitated the Respect Charter session at Trinity Western University in British Columbia and met with Beach, who attended the workshops and discussed their realities.

Agree or disagree, but Kennedy's's words carry a lot of weight.

1721843973366.png

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Not much to say that hasn't already been said. Giving a known abuser a letter of recommendation to work in a high school is some vile, unthinkable shit. You actually have to have worms in your brain to be that evil
He didn't give a reference. He just didn't report or act on the allegation, and allowed Aldrich to resign

I would find Sheldon Keefe's take on this far more insightful than many of the posts I've read here. He has a far more personal stake in this than most of us here.

"I was immediately struck by Stan’s genuine care and concern for Kyle, and what could have been done differently," Kennedy said. "During that period, we spoke almost daily about the seriousness of sexual abuse from the victim’s perspective. We didn’t talk about hockey at all. We focused on what went wrong, what he could have done differently and, most importantly, what could be done to prevent this from happening again."

Kennedy said Bowman's desire to acknowledge his mistakes and make amends with Beach were sincere and that he volunteered nearly full-time hours to help develop the Respect Charter and workshop curriculums. He added Bowman also co-facilitated the Respect Charter session at Trinity Western University in British Columbia and met with Beach, who attended the workshops and discussed their realities.

Agree or disagree, but Keefe's words carry a lot of weight.
Keefe?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Does he have a positive relationship with the kid who Aldrich molested due to the Hawks covering for him? It's been widely reported that they gave him a positive review. Even if they didn't they still covered for him.

You're looking at lies not facts. Even if his statement is true (it's not) then he's even dumber than I thought. Why would he not follow up on the reported incident or at least find out what happened. Flat out incompetence if he didn't but you have to be very naive to believe he didn't know it was a sexual assault until many years after.
Maybe you should go to the police since you seem to know what truly happened and how Bowman lied.. maybe he was holding the camera while it happened.

Reactions: TheOne

Funnymanrocco

Jul 4, 2015
Edmonton
Does he have a positive relationship with the kid who Aldrich molested due to the Hawks covering for him? It's been widely reported that they gave him a positive review. Even if they didn't they still covered for him.

You're looking at lies not facts. Even if his statement is true (it's not) then he's even dumber than I thought. Why would he not follow up on the reported incident or at least find out what happened. Flat out incompetence if he didn't but you have to be very naive to believe he didn't know it was a sexual assault until many years after.
Read the report before speaking further on it. It’s fine to not approve of the hiring. I don’t like it.
But Beach approved it. That’s says something.

Reactions: TheOne

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Lol. Anything to protect one of hockey's old boys. It's disgusting.

We've probably reached a point of no return as a community (fans, media, players, execs) if there isn't any fallout from this and he continues in this role. Too bad he's in the perfect city to do that with probably the most unqualified group of journalists on Earth.

I hate hockey so, so much.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
What a f***ing joke!

This just might turn me off of the Oilers after all my decades of being a fan. Turned a blind eye to some other questionable reclamation projects.

This one is different.

I am embarrassed.

I'm saying the same. I'm out with the Oilers.

I love hockey and I watch a lot more than just Oilers games.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
What a f***ing joke!

This just might turn me off of the Oilers after all my decades of being a fan. Turned a blind eye to some other questionable reclamation projects.

This one is different.

I am embarrassed.
I won’t fault the players in the organization or the other hard working staff who make it all happen and so I’ll still support them - but this one really sucks.

There is no reasonable justification for this move, IMO.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I would find Sheldon Kennedy's's take on this far more insightful than many of the posts I've read here. He has a far more personal stake in this than most of us here.

Agree or disagree, but Kennedy's's words carry a lot of weight.

View attachment 896822
I'm guessing his Charity just got a large donation for such lip service.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Mostly the fact that Beach doesn't have an issue with Bowman ..
That's nice, but Beach isn't exactly the only victim is he? If Bowman had taken action instead of, if you believe him, assuming someone else would, or, if you don't believe him, doing nothing, there's a good chance Aldrich is stopped before he can victimize anyone else. But he didn't take it seriously enough, did he? f*** 'im.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad