Oilers hire Stan Bowman as GM & EVP of Hockey Ops

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I am so confused by this hire. I didn’t think Bowman was a “Jackson” guy. Did Katz interfere? Ugly day.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Embarrassing for the Oilers and the league.

It does show you how tone deaf and out of touch the old boys network is though.. hockey culture needs to change so much.

I hope some staff and players nope out of Edmonton just out of principle.

Reactions: Czechboy and Coffey

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
It’s a weird choice to value someone’s perceived hockey-ops experience over their demonstrated moral character.

Oilers continue to demonstrate a willingness to waive their morals in their pursuit of a cup. It’s weird.
Not really. I'd much rather my team chased cups over holier than thou moral victories.

If I were an Oilers fan my issue would he his GM performance history. He has the cups sure, but all he had to do was not f*** up what Tallon originally built

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Somehow EDM will be fined draft picks for Bowman incompetence in CHI. Everyone will need to check their buttholes.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This angle makes even less sense. If Jackson wanted to hire an empty suit why in all hell would he pick Stan freaking Bowman for that?
Only thing I can think of is he wanted someone who knew the ins and outs of the leagues. Had connections to other GMs etc. He didn't want to have someone learn on the job, he just wanted someone who could come in and just work I guess?

Reactions: TheShape

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I hope players, Edmonton fans, and hockey fans in general give this move the Mitchell Miller/Logan Mailloux/Bill Peters/Mike Babcock treatment and the Oilers are forced to renounce it.
I disagree. I disagree with the hire as I wrote above, but I also think they are free to do it. There is an argument to be made that what happened with Beach was 14 years ago, and Bowman has now done his time and served his punishment.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Hahahahaha

Mcdavid will never win a cup with Edmonton.
McDavid's situation reminds me of one my late father found himself in: he enlisted in the Army during the Vietnam War knowing he would likely get drafted so figured this would get him better terms. He was assigned to some base in the south and he absolutely hated it and asked to be transfered elsewhere. He was informed the only place he could go was Vietnam to which he replied "Good, I'll take it!".

• Love
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Performance/lack of performance aside, much of an organization's regard with fans is, rightly or wrongly, in the optics. Even if you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD. Sure, the Oilers have seemed to like reclamation projects like Kane, Kassian, Perry, etc., but I think Bowman is the wrong hire here, purely from an optics perspective. Yes, some people will argue that one should divorce themselves from the person's personal morals and ethics and their on the job performance. I would argue that they are inextricably tied together and whether it was a lapse in judgment or willful complicity, I am not sure the Oilers need that added scrutiny in rolling the dice here.

LaCarriere

Absolutely. Us common folk would run the risk of serious criminal charges that would follow us for the rest of our lives, affecting where we can live, work, go to school, etc., if we helped to cover up serious crimes. f*** Stan Bowman and f*** his lost wages. He should never work in hockey again.
Kids are drafted at 18 years old. Legal minors. Not old enough to buy a beer in North America except in Quebec, and this guy manages them, after a sex abuse coverup. It's insane.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
I disagree. I disagree with the hire as I wrote above, but I also think they are free to do it. There is an argument to be made that what happened with Beach was 14 years ago, and Bowman has now done his time and served his punishment.
There's also the argument to be made that he wasn't really punished at all in any practical sense.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
This angle makes even less sense. If Jackson wanted to hire an empty suit why in all hell would he pick Stan freaking Bowman for that?
None of it makes sense, the overall risk outweighs the reward imo. But Bowman has cups to his name and he's an experienced GM. He'll do whatever the heck JJ wants if he plans on having any career.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
Seems like a real weird move to me. The vibes around the Oilers should be quite positive after the impressive run they just went on. Why invite any unnecessary hullabaloo around the team? This guy isn't even heralded as some kind of ace by Blackhawks fans, to my understanding. Tallon assembled most of the key talent on that roster, did he not?

If I'm the Oilers, I'd just rather not step in this cow pie entirely. They've already shown they can get to the precipice.

Reactions: HabsQC and Coffey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad