Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
So the Ceci trade was made just cause? Did we even need Ceci’s cap hit freed up?

Must be a sign that new management doesn’t like Ceci. Probably favors the analytics.

Also could be a sign they really liked Emberson.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
So the Ceci trade was made just cause? Did we even need Ceci’s cap hit freed up?

Must be a sign that new management doesn’t like Ceci. Probably favors the analytics.

Stauffer reporting that they can now leave Kane off LTIR and accrue the ~$1M then put him on LTIR afterwards to add in season. Also potentially can add this extra draft capital for retention.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
In all fairness, there are plenty of good reviews for this kid aside from anlaytics. Still a small sample size though.
That’s fair. Knobs recommendation especially shouldn’t be discounted. But overall, he’s still a question mark. We shall see I guess.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I see this sentiment a lot and it utterly confuses me.

How in the world did the Oilers dick Broberg around? He clearly wasn't ready until this past season and even then, he struggled in camp and preseason and didn't take a spot when there was an opening.

He wasn't ready for the NHL, flat out, you can see it in the small sample sizes that he wasn't ready for the physicality of the NHL and struggled immensely with strong forechecks, plus he wasn't using his legs to skate out of trouble because he wasn't confident at this level. He also had a bunch of nagging injuries that kept setting him back.
He then got sent down to the AHL, which he had little interest in doing because he thought he was entitled to a spot, and flourished in the AHL playing top minutes in a pro league.
What happened as a result? He got his shot and took advantage of it because he was more ready at that time likely due to the Oilers preaching patience with him.

For once, the Oilers take the patient approach with a Dman and it's met with vitriol from some of the fanbase.
I'm not calling you alone out on this but I don't know what you and others saw in him that made you think that he should have gotten a full time opportunity in the NHL sooner than he did. Now, another organization is likely to reap the benefits of the Oilers proper development of this player, sadly.
The best response I can provide to you is to review my last few posts on how and why I arrived at that conclusion.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
They could have kept Ceci if they wanted to. They are likely going to gun for someone better as the season goes along.
They can even get Ceci back if they really want to (I hope they find someone better). The Ceci deal seems to be 99% to get under the cap so they can accrue LTIR money from day 1 of the season, and 1% to get St. Louis to give up that 2028 3rd and the prospect.

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2007

I think all along they wanted to dump Ceci for a cheaper D by the end of the offseason. They probably figured they could weasel a bit more out of St Louis if they were able to feign realistically matching both offer sheets, so this expedited trading Ceci. They may have been hoping to get a 1st or 2nd with these cap gymnastics but a 3rd/prospect is still better than nothing.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I mean I have as much supportive evidence as you do, if not more ;)
Im not really supporting the org in this, more jsut pointing out how often this happens and isn't a sign of bad devlopment.
The league is full of examples of young players who take their few opportunities and run with them, something that neither Broberg or Holloway have done..
LOL at the bolded.
Its true.
For the reasons I outlined I just think that the org is more at fault than the player in this situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneSweep

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I think all along they wanted to dump Ceci for a cheaper D by the end of the offseason. They probably figured they could weasel a bit more out of St Louis if they were able to feign realistically matching both offer sheets, so this expedited trading Ceci. They may have been hoping to get a 1st or 2nd with these cap gymnastics but a 3rd/prospect is still better than nothing.
Would make sense to me. The oilers new management pretty much did exactly what I wanted them to do all last season. Improve winger depth and add some shooting talent. Get rid of Ceci.

I guess I should be happy with managements decision making. But so much is left up in the air, until we see these new additions actually play. Lots of gambles were made, we don’t know if they’ll pay off yet.

JeffSkinner53

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com

I think Ceci was traded cause Knoblauch knows Emberson from the AHL and for cap space, and also I think the Oilers wanted to scare the blues into thinking they'd match the two players and that's also why the blues added the 28 3 rd and and an 18 year old d-man today.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I dont understand the hate for Broberg at all.
The Oilers f**ked him around IMO.

I don’t hate either player, but totally understand why fans would boo them. They had their reasons to leave our team, but as fans the natural reaction is one of betrayal, players choosing to leave our team. I certainly won’t be cheering for them, and hope they fall flat on their faces.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don’t hate either player, but totally understand why fans would boo them. They had their reasons to leave our team, but as fans the natural reaction is one of betrayal, players choosing to leave our team. I certainly won’t be cheering for them, and hope they fall flat on their faces.
Sure...from that level I get it.
Its just how things work.

I am certainly not cheering for either player but I will be curious to see how they do.

Last edited:
Reactions: bellagiobob

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

By trading Ceci now, we are cap compliant to start the year without putting Kane on LTIR, and can start accruing cap space. With him still on the roster, we couldn’t have done that with a full roster.

Reactions: The Nuge

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I think Ceci was traded cause Knoblauch knows Emberson from the AHL and for cap space, and also I think the Oilers wanted to scare the blues into thinking they'd match the two players and that's also why the blues added the 28 3 rd and and an 18 year old d-man today.
Yeh I wonder why they were able to squeeze another 2 assets from the Blues. Maybe that’s why. Would have been nice for our media to ask that.

By trading Ceci now, we are cap compliant to start the year without putting Kane on LTIR, and can start accruing cap space. With him still on the roster, we couldn’t have done that with a full roster.
If this was the plan. Then could we have even fit in Broberg/Holloway for that reported 3M we were hoping to sign them for?

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton

also gave them some leverage in negotiating with St Louis. I doubt they would've been able to squeeze the extra 3rd and a prospect out of the Blues if they didnt have the room Ceci created to spook them into thinking we were potentially going to match

Reactions: oobga

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023

Along with nurse ceci was clearly the weak link all playoffs. Best to just address it now and get over with it.

Suspect the team spent all summer looking at the best cheap option to improve nurse.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
They can even get Ceci back if they really want to (I hope they find someone better). The Ceci deal seems to be 99% to get under the cap so they can accrue LTIR money from day 1 of the season, and 1% to get St. Louis to give up that 2028 3rd and the prospect.
What exactly was the reasoning for that trade? I saw the future considerations stuff but was mostly just "wait why" and haven't had a chhance to follow too closely.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Yeh I wonder why they were able to squeeze another 2 assets from the Blues. Maybe that’s why. Would have been nice for our media to ask that.

If this was the plan. Then could we have even fit in Broberg/Holloway for that reported 3M we were hoping to sign them for?

That is the plan now, maybe wasn’t the plan last week. ;). But I think they could have, but likely not with a 22/23 man roster. Would have taken some constant roster juggling to make it work.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Embarson same age as when Forsling went on waivers a la he will be come just as good for us :sarcasm:

One can hope. Still think they made the correct decision for the flexibility to maximize our chance to win a cup this year.

Hopefully they use the space well as if they do we are a better team for this IMO.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
What exactly was the reasoning for that trade? I saw the future considerations stuff but was mostly just "wait why" and haven't had a chhance to follow too closely.
They haven't said publicly, but I am guessing that the Oilers told the Blues to give them a couple of other small pieces or they were going to match one or both of the offer sheets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad