Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheMustardTiger

Owner of the Dirty Burger
May 4, 2016
How did we get Fischer and an extra 3rd thrown in? Blues felt bad they f***ed us so hard and just threw it in?

Of course trash media in the Bowman presser doesn’t ask.
I wonder with the added cap space if Bowman put pressure on Armstrong and said if you don't add anything we will match Broberg? Nice move if that is the case, especially if they already knew they weren't going to match the Broberg offer.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
What kind of questions were you expecting the media to ask? Management did well with the situation they were in.
Good ones. Clarifying ones.

Remains to be seen how well they’ve done really. We brought in a bunch of question marks as replacements. A near bust waiver wire level prospect in Podkolzin. And a small sample size analytics darling in Emberson.

I wonder with the added cap space if Bowman put pressure on Armstrong and said if you don't add anything we will match Broberg? Nice move if that is the case, especially if they already knew they weren't going to match the Broberg offer.
I wonder too.

It’s not every day a team just throws you a 3rd and prospect (one that the other GM knows and likes it sounds like) for seemingly no reason at all. The blues didn’t need to make that future considerations trade.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
So if Broberg would have had 79 (less than 80) regular season games played instead of playing 81, he wouldn’t have been eligible for an offer sheet.

Neat.

Good thing he played 12 regular season games last year instead of 10

• Wow
Reactions: TheNumber4

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
So if Broberg would have had 79 (less than 80) regular season games played instead of playing 81, he wouldn’t have been eligible for an offer sheet.

Neat.

Really? f*** Holland and his incompetence.

Reactions: SavoieSeason

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Neat.

Isn’t it 1 pro season if you are 23+?

Kaniac

Sep 11, 2018
Hope those boys are ready to get absolutely shredded by boos when they visit Edmonton. Chase the bag or not, they did damage to the oilers and the boos will be loud and well deserved. It's part of the game, as long as it stays on the ice.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
Imagine choosing a bit more money early over playing close to home and family. Friends on the team and a chance at the cup for multiple years. The kid didn't think it through.
Money early is almost always considered a better financial decision.

If he gets more opportunity he'll likely put up better numbers and can pivot that into better career earnings as well. From a financial perspective Holloway's decision makes perfect sense.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I realize the issue about RHD and LHD.
It was just an example of the importance of supporting a defencemans strengths when you are developing him.
I appreciate that you are working hard to support the Oilers org in this but I dont think that you have a lot of supportive evidence.
I mean I have as much supportive evidence as you do, if not more ;)
Im not really supporting the org in this, more jsut pointing out how often this happens and isn't a sign of bad devlopment.
The league is full of examples of young players who take their few opportunities and run with them, something that neither Broberg or Holloway have done..

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2007
Hope those boys are ready to get absolutely shredded by boos when they visit Edmonton. Chase the bag or not, they did damage to the oilers and the boos will be loud and well deserved. It's part of the game, as long as it stays on the ice.
They're pro's, they'll get over it. I don't blame 'em for taking the money. Broberg is going to get roughly 3 times what the Oil were offering from numbers I've seen thrown around. These guys haven't earned a f*** ton of cash yet, they need to ensure they don't have to worry about money when their playing career is done. (who knows how short they could end up being) I don't blame the Blues for using the rules of the CBA, don't blame the players involved whatsoever. Maybe throw some blame at the Oilers prioritizing Corey Perry over these two at the start of the offseason.

Edit: I will say I respect the Oilers not matching if part of their thought process is they can't have these guys taking more than their value when they're hoping we have guys taking discounts to win. But that's not Broberg/Holloway's fault, well within their right to use the offer sheet route. Damage was done when these guys didn't get inked previously, obviously the Oil didn't feel it was a big priority

Last edited:
Reactions: Salvaged Ship

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Neat.

Holland is a f***ing moron. No idea how to manage a cap. JJ/Bowman better have learned a lesson from that.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Good ones. Clarifying ones.

Remains to be seen how well they’ve done really. We brought in a bunch of question marks as replacements. A near bust waiver wire level prospect in Podkolzin. And a small sample size analytics darling in Emberson.

I wonder too.

It’s not every day a team just throws you a 3rd and prospect (one that the other GM knows and likes it sounds like) for seemingly no reason at all. The blues didn’t need to make that future considerations trade.
In all fairness, there are plenty of good reviews for this kid aside from anlaytics. Still a small sample size though.

Reactions: TheNumber4

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
To me, this is a foolish foolish mistake. These two players are drafted and developed by our organization and right before they are about to “pop” they’re gone. It’s way too short sighted. Everything into this decision has to do with this year. Jeff Jackson acknowledged that we need to build the pipeline up. Now we’ve dug a deeper hole. This will really hurt us when Ekholm and Kane are declining. These two players were trending to step into big roles going forward.

The thought process all about ‘maybe’ being able to add someone at the deadline.. give me a break. We’re prioritizing players like Kulak and Kane over our future.

That said, I will also be heavily cheering against both of these players from now on. Holloway f***ed up..
That's 7 million in cap space for 2 players, who may not contribute much on a cup contending team. They could use the money to bring in a Tarasenko and Chychrun type at the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad