Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
With the current cap space does anyone know how much that will accumulate to deadline cap space ? Man I miss Capfriendly

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I got pulju vibes but with less smiles and less pizza
In Pulju defense Finnish transition to English more difficult than any Euro country. I've never seen a Swede player not be able to speak English before.

Sweden is full of Euro English media. They watch more English language programming than any. heh English is mandatory in Swedish Schools and considered a necessary language to have. Most Swedes also speak English. Some stats say as much as 80% of Swedes speak English. Broberg would be outlier.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I would like to see your sources on the minutes played left and right side in the AHl and the NHL.

Aside from that....the Oilers invested a top 10 draft pick on Broberg and your contention is that they handled him exactly how they should have handled him in the development phase?
Click on line combos.
I don't have time on ice for the AHL but he did play with Desharnais a bunch.
But in Brobergs 1st AHL season their most played d had 4 lefties, 2 righties but I know for a fact he played with Desharnais and Kemp at times. I think most of the lefties took turn at right. Which is common.
His second season he played 7 games so....doesn't really count.
this year in the AHL Was left d heavy but if I remember seeing lineup cards I think Gleason played more right d than Broberg.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Very poor media effort with little consideration for how it got to this point where they made themselves vulnerable to this unprecedented double offer sheet. We can all understand they reacted hard to it with 4 possible scenarios. Add a dumb team employee question about the incoming players and obvious relationships their management team have with them - clearly qualified moves. This could have waited for any other time instead of clogging up a very limited time managed availability. Why? How did this happen?

There was a French reporter who asked direct questions in Broberg's media availability and I believe this one. Why leave a winning organization that just played for a Cup?

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Possible UFA defenseman Oilers can go after at the trade deadline Adam Larsson Ivan Provorov David Savard

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I’m fine with losing those guys if we upgraded
We did not upgrade..just added more question marks
Absolutely. It sucks that the team on paper is worse than it was a week ago.
The bright spot is it would have to be even worse if we kept them. AND we now have cap for the deadline to properly upgrade on Ceci.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Well for our 2nd pair we don't need an Ekholm level player. We would be looking at a good 2nd pairing guy which would cost a 2nd and a prospect at Schaeffers level (which we have a few).
At the deadline a 2nd and say one of Akey, O'Reilly, Savoie etc could get us a very good d.
If I'm trading one of those guys for a Dman, he better be fairly young and signed long term. The Oilers can't throw away valuable futures for quick fixes and/or older players.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I’m fine with losing those guys if we upgraded
We did not upgrade..just added more question marks
Sure, but match Broberg, you still have to trade Ceci, and you probably have to clear out more players when Kane returns. And you also can't move Broberg if he's underwhelming, and you have no space to add a defenceman.

I know, you're going to say it's just cap space until they use it it doesn't mean anything. But you know that if they have 5 million to spend at the deadline, they're going to spend it. You know that. That could be a legit top four guy making 6-7 million. I agree with you that it's a gamble to some degree though.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If I'm trading one of those guys for a Dman, he better be fairly young and signed long term. The Oilers can't throw away valuable futures for quick fixes and/or older players.
Oh for sure, but my point is we absolutely have the assets required to add the player we need at the deadline is all.

Sure, but match Broberg, you still have to trade Ceci, and you probably have to clear out more players when Kane returns. And you also can't move Broberg if he's underwhelming, and you have no space to add a defenceman.

I know, you're going to say it's just cap space until they use it it doesn't mean anything. But you know that if they have 5 million to spend at the deadline, they're going to spend it. You know that. That could be a legit top four guy making 6-7 million. I agree with you that it's a gamble to some degree though.
Basically when Kane returns we would have to trade one of Skinner/Arvidsson or move out Kulak, Perry and run a 20 man roster. And if Broberg sucked and didn't live up to the contract we have literally no means to fix it this year. It could potentially cost us a whole year. They won't trade him but that 4-5 mill deadline space could literally get us Ekblad with retention. As an example of possibility.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
In Pulju defense Finnish transition to English more difficult than any Euro country. I've never seen a Swede player not be able to speak English before.

Sweden is full of Euro English media. They watch more English language programming than any. heh English is mandatory in Swedish Schools and considered a necessary language to have. Most Swedes also speak English. Some stats say as much as 80% of Swedes speak English. Broberg would be outlier.
He was fine. Likely nervous and clearly coached to come back to pat, non controversial answers. Add that the teleconference link wasn't good adding a couple mumbling questions which he didn't hear and had to ask to repeat or clarify the line of questioning. This was the equivalent to going to the dentist. Not fun but necessary. His persona will change once he hits his new city.

That's the last good thing I have to say on this guy.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Absolutely. It sucks that the team on paper is worse than it was a week ago.
The bright spot is it would have to be even worse if we kept them. AND we now have cap for the deadline to properly upgrade on Ceci.
And this is my problem
They made the team worse today is the hopes they can fix it in the future
Which is risky

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
And this is my problem
They made the team worse today is the hopes they can fix it in the future
Which is risky
Keeping Broberg would have still required them to make the team worse today in the hopes it would fix it self in the future or having to make the team worse in the near future just to ice a lineup.

Its a major risk either way.

Reactions: North Cole

Helistin

Aug 12, 2006
Close to you

Northern European countries are known for their impressive English skills, and Finland is no exception. English is widely spoken in Finland, with 70% of people having a conversational level. Moreover, roughly 50% of Finns have an upper intermediate or advanced level in English.

Reactions: harpoon

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

sure but there's no guarantee that the player is:
-available
-the Oilers have the asset to get said player

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
There's a point where you can't outscore your problems. It works against weaker teams for sure but the Panthers held us to 1 goal or less in 3 of their 4 wins.

My biggest worry is that someone in the top 4 gets dinged up for an extended period of time and we're forced to shuffle players into more pressure filled roles that they aren't ready for. The team on the back end was incredibly healthy from November onward, and there's a chance we don't get that agagain.
Injuries are always a concern for sure. But there's a difference between outscoring your problems to start the year and outscoring your problems during the SCF.

I'm not expecting them to think that way all year. Just long enough to assess what they have, accrue more capspace, and make an impact move at some point during the season. Doesn't mean you have to wait for the deadline either though. Who knows what's going to materialize during any given year.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Right handed D never really play their off side because they are a rare handed player so teams almost never have too many of them. It’s not uncommon for a team to have 4-5 left handed D and only 1-2 righties.
Brobergs whole hockey career he had spent time playing on his off side, some defenders can do it like Broberg other guys just don’t have the ability to do so. Like look at TJ Brodie. Left shot d who sucks when he isn’t playing his right side.
I realize the issue about RHD and LHD.
It was just an example of the importance of supporting a defencemans strengths when you are developing him.
I appreciate that you are working hard to support the Oilers org in this but I dont think that you have a lot of supportive evidence.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Northern European countries are known for their impressive English skills, and Finland is no exception. English is widely spoken in Finland, with 70% of people having a conversational level. Moreover, roughly 50% of Finns have an upper intermediate or advanced level in English.
Fair enough. My point was just to say that Finnish to English or vice versa is much more difficult. Swedish Language has Germanic roots so easier to learn English. Thats what I meant..

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I would bet that the 2026 first is going to go out for a dman signed for a few years, similar to the Ekholm deal.
Yeah, if Rasmus Andersson played in any other market he'd be the perfect target but no way in hell would Conroy entertain trading him to the Oilers. Too bad because he's an ideal mix of age, skillset and multi-year affordable contract on a team that's in rebuild mode and looking to accumulate futures.

You never know what might open up closer to the deadline but it's going to be difficult to find a true top 4 Dman who is in his prime and signed for a few years minimum. The Oilers were lucky enough that Ekholm shook loose. The Oilers need to find their Toews/Forsling, a guy who is overlooked and/or you get him at the very beginning of his ascension. Maybe Emberson is that guy?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad