Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
So dumb when you really think about it if neither player in the eyes of the organization was worth matching than you didn't see them as long term oilers which begs the question why the f*** didn't you trade them for buchnevich? Adding him could have been the deciding factor to a cup win and you wouldn't part with two players you do easily walked away from two months later
If the Oilers could see the future and realized that the only way this ends is with either an offer sheet, or with a Buchnevich trade, I think they would have made that trade. But they were still trying to keep both of these kids as cheap depth players.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Ah, yes, because a successful Oiler team certainly doesn’t make money for the NHL. :loony:

Uhhh… I’ll say one thing: Expecting intelligent hockey takes from CP sure goes a long way in explaining your posts. I just can’t believe you proudly brought it up.
Oh, this game. Look, our fanbase is different than their fanbase. Doppelgangers.

I really honestly thought I could have an impact changing this. :loony: as f*** thinking that.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
The thought process all about ‘maybe’ being able to add someone at the deadline.. give me a break. We’re prioritizing players like Kulak and Kane over our future.

Isn’t that just as much of a “maybe”?

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
I am wondering why we didn't match Holloways contract. He is a younger player and the price on the offer sheet wasn't all that horrible. Broberg I get, that was just too much. The foil hatted fan in me wonders if perhaps Holloway had a future in the organization, is there more to this story than we know?.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
To me, this is a foolish foolish mistake. These two players are drafted and developed by our organization and right before they are about to “pop” they’re gone. It’s way too short sighted. Everything into this decision has to do with this year. Jeff Jackson acknowledged that we need to build the pipeline up. Now we’ve dug a deeper hole. This will really hurt us when Ekholm and Kane are declining. These two players were trending to step into big roles going forward.

The thought process all about ‘maybe’ being able to add someone at the deadline.. give me a break. We’re prioritizing players like Kulak and Kane over our future.

That said, I will also be heavily cheering against both of these players from now on. Holloway f***ed up..
Kulak and Kane are better players than Holloway and Broberg are today.

Reactions: McBooya42

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I doubt it holds any weight with many here, but I feel like Duncan Keith should get a shout out even if to a lesser extent, like Ekholm.

Rookie Bouch played quite well with Keith that season. I don't care what people think about him or the deal that got him here, he was a great influence on a rookie Bouchard, and for all the same reasons you rightfully imply on Ekholm.

Basically I agree with you. It's a shame the team had no one on the right side to break in Broberg. But it is what it is. I'm still fully confident with Kulak anchoring the third pair for at least the next couple of seasons.

Broberg couldn't lock up that 2nd LD spot. Not faulting him, he was and is a young developing player. But he couldn't do it and the team needs to contend so Ekholm was brought in. That made it basically impossible for Broberg to lock down a spot on his natural side without blowing the doors off the league, which he hasn't yet. So if while I admit the loss sucks, if he really wants to play top 4 minutes on his natural side, Edmonton wasn't going to be the place. Not with Nurse here but that's an entirely separate and tired conversation.
Fair point.
Even though Keith wasnt the player he used to be having a solid vet presence to lean on is really important for a player.
Just imagine though if Bouchard had been expected to develop on his off side though.
Or they flip him back and forth depending on the teams needs.
Nurse should have been that steadting force for Broberg too especially seeing as Broberg has forced to play on his off side.
As we all know Nurse isnt a steadying force at all. he is way too erratic and IMO ends up teaching a young dman like Brobger all the wrong things.

IMO it just goes to show that drafting a player isnt enough....you have to have the team structured in a way that lends itself to properly developing the player.
Holland made some poor decisions while he was here and letting the RHD position deteriorate as badly as he did cost this team IMO.
You thrown in an obscene contract for an unreiliable dman like Nurse and it creates a major problem.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Contracts under 1.25M (roughly) don't affect our flexibility, as those players can all be waived and sent down with the full cap hit going down with them.
If that's the case, why didn't they just match Holloway then. Guy could have been an effective third liner+ with us for years but no , let us enjoy the skills of Ol'man Perry for another year.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yeah but when are you not in chicken little mode?

You’ve doubted this team at every turn and yet all they do is continue to improve their results.
They haven't won a Cup yet. That's been the goal since McDavid was drafted and only finally did we actually break through. I don't think it's a stretch to say anything less than a Cup win this season is a failure.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Oh, this game. Look, our fanbase is no different than their fanbase. And you know this. Doppelgangers.

If you really believed this, why would you just have propped them up as geniuses? You’re the one who brought it up (for reasons no one will ever know), no one else.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
We have lots of depth at forward. We need more depth at D, but we needed that before today.

It's amazing how people don't remember what happened yesterday because something changed today.

I remember people going sideways just a few weeks ago that we didn't upgrade Top 4 RHD yet, and that was when Broberg was a forgone conclusion to return. I guess when another team pays him way more than he's worth that somehow changes?

This was a hole with Broberg on the team, and probably would have still been a hole if we matched, except in that circumstance it would have been effectively impossible to upgrade on him with the $4.5M anchor around our neck.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Contracts under 1.25M (roughly) don't affect our flexibility, as those players can all be waived and sent down with the full cap hit going down with them.
Perry is on the cusp of being 40 years old and cant skate. There is no place for him on this team.
I would rather have that money be added to the current cap space to help improve the team where it needs to be improved.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
To me, this is a foolish foolish mistake. These two players are drafted and developed by our organization and right before they are about to “pop” they’re gone. It’s way too short sighted. Everything into this decision has to do with this year. Jeff Jackson acknowledged that we need to build the pipeline up. Now we’ve dug a deeper hole. This will really hurt us when Ekholm and Kane are declining. These two players were trending to step into big roles going forward.

That said, I will also be heavily cheering against both of these players from now on. Holloway f***ed up..
Sunk cost fallacy. The Oilers could only work with the reality of current circumstances. I do think they have ahreed to too many NMCs and NTCs. They did damage control and the only way to judge them is on the final result. They are in a mode where winning a Cup is success and everything else is failure (to varying degrees).

Reactions: Macblender

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
He's found money for Blues fans and an improbable gift that fell from a perceived failed summer. He and Holloway are golden. Conversely being matched they would have been next on the bbq after the reality it was Oiler management group who failed to secure their cheap contract options.

I'm pissed and bitter too. Never liked the Blues and now there are two more reasons.

I like both players but wouldn’t agree that they’re “golden” or “found money”. There is a massive amount of risk involved with offersheeting support players. It could go well but of course it would be best if it blues up in their face

Reactions: Duke74

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Kulak and Kane are better players than Holloway and Broberg are today.
There is definitely potential for this to not be the case as early as late next year. And what about years after that? Are we trying to win 1 cup or multiple? This team is f***ed in 3 years.

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
I wonder if part of the reason they didn't match was because a bunch of players have signed here for a discount recently. Then you have Draisaitl, Mcdavid and Bouchard talking about taking a discount to help the team win now. Broberg and Holloway put themselves ahead of the team for money and maybe they weren't welcome in the lockerroom.
I don't consider13+ any sort of discount for drai. He is not going to take one lol. A discount would be McDavids salary. McDavid discount would be like 13.5. We know he will take 14 min

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad