Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Reading the st louis board they actually think they can make the playoffs by adding these two fringe players at 3x their worth, lol
I mean, they might be that far off in their estimation. However, that's more of an analysis of much the central sucks, rather than an endorsement of adding these fringe NHLers at meme prices.

I get that the cap is an annually expiring resource, but Armstrong honestly looks like the he's one of the Covid toilet paper people on steroids, with this Broberg contract. Instead of just buying a van load of toilet paper he didn't need like an average crazy person, he signed a two lease on a f***ing warehouse just to store the truckloads he purchased on the futures market.

Reactions: Oilhawks

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
In that case Broberg wouldn’t have played at all lol
Possibly but the team f**ked this up bigtime and now they paid a price.
Broberg would have been a fool not to take that deal and money clearly wasnt the only factor.
St Louis wont f**k up in the same way because they will play Broberg on his natural side and give him a solid D partner.
Much like the Oilers did with Bouchard pairing him with Ekholm.

I dont think for a minute that Bouchard would have developed like he did without Ekholm. Just imagine if the team forced Bouchard to develop on his off side?
It wouldnt have gone well and luckily Bouchard was a RHD (and they didnt have a weakness on the left side) so they didnt have to force him to play the left side.
As an Oiler fan I take no pleasure in posting this stuff on Broberg but I am not going to just pretend that this is all on the player either.
It isnt...most of this is on the organization and more specifically Ken Holland.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
23 year old who got bad advice and made a bad judgement call. He’ll learn from it. What I got from Holloway in his time here is that he loved to be an Oiler. Alberta boy through and through, always brought energy and passion, and the fan base loved him this run. I think his agent told him to call the Oilers bluff and it didn’t work out in his favour.
Broberg finally showed some potential on the third pair but at 4.5 he can kick rocks.
I have a hard time buying this train of thought. If he loved it so much, he wouldn’t even consider signing it, no matter who he was getting advice from.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I think Emberson and one of Podkolzin, Savoie, Lavoie, Jarventie or Philp are going to come in and play well and a lot of people will get over/forget about the loss of these two. They're promising young players, but they lose a lot of their shine when they're making that kind of money.
Throwing Hamblin's name in there too. Hoping he can stick on the 4th line.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Possibly but the team f**ked this up bigtime and now they paid a price.
Broberg would have been a fool not to take that deal and money clearly wasnt the only factor.
St Louis wont f**k up in the same way.

As an Oiler fan I take no pleasure in posting this stuff on broberg but I am not going to just pretend that this is all on the player either.
It isnt...most of this is on the organization and more specifically Ken Holland.
St, Louis already made their f**k up by paying Broberg 9 million for the next two years.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
I think Emberson and one of Podkolzin, Savoie, Lavoie, Jarventie or Philp are going to come in and play well and a lot of people will get over/forget about the loss of these two. They're promising young players, but they lose a lot of their shine when they're making that kind of money.
I thought Holloway was definitely worth the price. He brings a lot to the 3rd line with top six potential. Fast, tenacious and some scoring ability. Oilers are so fkn dumb for not matching this guy.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
So dumb when you really think about it if neither player in the eyes of the organization was worth matching than you didn't see them as long term oilers which begs the question why the f*** didn't you trade them for buchnevich? Adding him could have been the deciding factor to a cup win and you wouldn't part with two players you do easily walked away from two months later

Reactions: Echodek

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I wonder if part of the reason they didn't match was because a bunch of players have signed here for a discount recently. Then you have Draisaitl, Mcdavid and Bouchard talking about taking a discount to help the team win now. Broberg and Holloway put themselves ahead of the team for money and maybe they weren't welcome in the lockerroom.
Is this the actual players talking about it and saying they will or the media wags spinning this narrative. In anycase actions speak louder than words. The next contracts are not done.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
St, Louis already made their f**k up by paying Broberg 9 million for the next two years.
Like I said...they likely wont get the value from that contract this season but I am willing to bet they will next season.
It was a gamble but it ultimately costs them nothing but a little cap space.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Wait, you think Broberg and Holloway were our only path to the Stanley Cup?
I don't see the team as better. It just got worse. We lost two young skilled homegrown roster players. You think the Oilers are going to win a championship now?

You should have serious doubts about it. I sure do.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Well, they could have traded Kulak to free up a spot for him, like we did with Barrie for Bouchard on the right side.

You could have used Kulak's money to sign Broberg (before the offersheet), or used his money, and his trade value itself, to find a RHS D in that trade. There were 100% options, the team just didn't use them.
Why would they trade Kulak though? Broberg hadn't shown that he was capable of taking over for Kulak. Bouchard showed that he was ready to take over for Barrie, and - here's the kicker - they traded Barrie for a major upgrade. What upgrades can you show me were 100% possible with Kulak as a central piece?

The fact is, that the Oilers are a contender, and contenders don't trade their guys who contribute when it matters to make room for someone who might be good. And what if they traded Kulak, and Broberg crashed and burned? He's not a sure thing, even today.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I thought Holloway was definitely worth the price. He brings a lot to the 3rd line with top six potential. Fast, tenacious and some scoring ability. Oilers are so fkn dumb for not matching this guy.
I would have matched his as well, but I understand why they didn't. He's unlikely to be in the top 6 this year. Has still shown a ton of inconsistency in his game. Would have liked to keep him, but its not the end of the world to me.

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The only way to upgrade on Ceci is to accrue cap for the deadline and that’s exactly what they’re doing.
This is largely why I can handle losing Holloway. Getting a good Ceci upgrade is far more important than keeping a guy like Holloway when you factor in that they added Arvidsson and Skinner this summer, and might have a guy like Savoie knocking on the door very soon.

Reactions: McDNicks17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad