Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

North

Jun 25, 2009
He literally played 90% of the time on the right side.
This is textbook on how to f**k up a players development and piss off the player.

I dont balme Broberg much at all.
I sure blame Holland though.
Unfortunately Broberg took longer to develop (which isn’t an indictment, it’s just a fact) and when there was opportunity on the left side he was unable to grab it. That made Kulak and Ekholm a necessity.

We weren’t in a position to allow him to work through his growing pains because Bouchard was also being worked in and had his own growing pains.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I wonder if part of the reason they didn't match was because a bunch of players have signed here for a discount recently. Then you have Draisaitl, Mcdavid and Bouchard talking about taking a discount to help the team win now. Broberg and Holloway put themselves ahead of the team for money and maybe they weren't welcome in the lockerroom.
Nurse put himself ahead of the team with his contract. So this isn't something new. Nugent Hopkins was the prime example of a homegrown player taking a discount to stay here. All recent value contract guys have secured their financial futures and in position to play for less with a short-term window in Edmonton.

The players can also quite fairly all look at their management group and question why they didn't work more pro-actively to hold on to critical young talent on value contracts. Equal to ask how their managers failed in this chance to ensure two young pieces helpful to win now and peak years ahead to keep the precious winning window extended as Jackson prioritized on day 1 of taking this job.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So you're saying we should have traded Kulak to make room for Broberg then? Trading Nurse isn't possible, and obviously Ekholm's role is too large for Broberg, so that's really the only option, right?
I am not saying anything specific.
Do what it takes to properly shore up the right side instead of trying these patchwork solutions.

That should have been a priority for Holland the past 2 seasons. Instead they thought that the best option was to push Broberg into that spot.

I honestly cant beleive posters are defending that decision.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think Emberson and one of Podkolzin, Savoie, Lavoie, Jarventie or Philp are going to come in and play well and a lot of people will get over/forget about the loss of these two. They're promising young players, but they lose a lot of their shine when they're making that kind of money.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Lol getting mad at Broberg for signing with St Louis for triple. I love how people think they would have passed that up if they were given the same situation, delusional thinking from fans who only think of the team they are rooting for and not the life of the individual making the decision. And those who say others were taking less, show me someone who hasn’t made serious money in his career who was willing to take 1/3 of what they would have gotten elsewhere. This is lifelong altering money for Broberg and his family, there is no guarantee he would not have busted or gotten injured.

Dude, who cares? They’re going to get boo’d their first game back, that’s all we’re saying. None of us said we’d be the ones doing the booing

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Unfortunately Broberg took longer to develop (which isn’t an indictment, it’s just a fact) and when there was opportunity on the left side he was unable to grab it. That made Kulak and Ekholm a necessity.

We weren’t in a position to allow him to work through his growing pains because Bouchard was also being worked in and had his own growing pains.
Yes...he took longer because the AHL team played him on his off side.
Thats part of my argument here.

It was an organization f**k up.

Even McDavid had to start in the middle six and work his way up and playing with the likes of Pouliot and Yak. Sure he got there faster cause he had earned it. A generational talent still had to prove himself. Broberg was given his spot and never ran with it. Got to further develop in the AHL.
Why Broberg is upset playing on the offside in the NHL is head scratching? Like why is he upset with that?
McDavid is a generational talent. Not really a comparable at all.
That being said young dmen take the longest to develop because defence in the NHl is hard.
When you force a dman to try and play on his off wing and then get frustrated that his development isnt happening as quickly as you would like...is a little like trying to grow a young plant without properly watering it.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
You think offer sheets are a Bettman thing? And the Oilers got screwed?
Absolutely, an American club f***s a Canadian club. This move had the green light from the board of governors, 100%.

You think the Oilers are better than they were last season? And the defense sucked last season.

North

Jun 25, 2009
No.
The team should have addressed the RHD issue seperately and not f**k up Borbergs development by trying to have him fix the issue.
The fact is Broberg took longer to develop (not an indictment, just a reality). His inability to grab a job left us needing to shore up the left with Ekholm and Kulak.

We couldn’t wait to through his growing pains because Bouchard was also working through his own growing pains in the NHL. You can’t have two d doing that.

Reactions: Oilhawks

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Holland definitely stuck to his "overripen prospects" schtick.
Rush prospects and keith complains, marinate prospects and Keith complains. Play Ceci and Keith complains, trade Ceci and Keith complains. Overpay players and Keith complains, don’t overpay players and Keith complains.

Darned if you do, darned if you don’t.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Absolutely, an American club f***s a Canadian club. This move had the green light from the board of governors, 100%.

You think the Oilers are better than they were last season? And the defense sucked last season.

I’m missing the whole “screwing” part here. And Bettman.

I mean, if you think the “defense sucked” last season, it means you slept through it. It also means your “screwed/Bettman” thing doesn’t hold any water.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I am not saying anything specific.
Do what it takes to properly shore up the right side instead of trying these patchwork solutions.

That should have been a priority for Holland the past 2 seasons. Instead they thought that the best option was to push Broberg into that spot.

I honestly cant beleive posters are defending that decision.
Well yes, I agree, fixing the right side should have been a priority, and it still should be. In regards to Broberg though, fixing the right side has nothing to do with finding a spot for him on the left side. There was no room on the left side, there was never going to be room on the left side. The only real options for Broberg, were to keep him buried in the minors, trade him, or try to have him play his off side.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Why? "Hey Oiler fans you just got f***ed... go to HF if you want to see some serious cope."

No Matter what the outcome was it's the Oilers getting f***ed hard under the Bettman regime yet again.
How the hell is Bettman responsible for any of this?

Do you even live on earth?

Reactions: Sanchez

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I’m missing the whole “screwing” part here. And Bettman.

I mean, if you think the “defense sucked” last season, it means you slept through it. It also means your “screwed/Bettman” thing doesn’t hold any water.
You got the blinders on buddy.

How the hell is Bettman responsible for any of this?

Do you even live on earth?
hf gang gang to the rescue... that was quick

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Okay, time to remove the tinfoil hat here. One GM decided to use the tools made available to him to improve his team. That isn't board of governors stuff.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Rush prospects and keith complains, marinate prospects and Keith complains. Play Ceci and Keith complains, trade Ceci and Keith complains. Overpay players and Keith complains, don’t overpay players and Keith complains.

Darned if you do, darned if you don’t.
I noticed you failed to address the drafting and development concerns.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
Re- Broberg

I think many people here fell in love with his skating and passing, which I get. But of the 7 Dmen the Oilers used in the playoffs, Broberg (granted, playing his offside) had the worst xGF% by quite a bit. His playoff stats were held up by an unsustainably high on ice shooting percentage and save percentage, which were bound to normalize.
This following 5 years of doing good in the minors but failing to make an impact in the NHL. He can still be a top 4 Dman in this league, but he can also be another Caleb Jones, good skater but nothing else. His results in 5 years have been nothing to write home about. Blues are not a good team so they can give him 4.5 mill and a ton of ice time.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Man, we got f***ed but good by a league endorsed move... NHL approved media will be doing handstands for this all season long.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The fact is Broberg took longer to develop (not an indictment, just a reality). His inability to grab a job left us needing to shore up the left with Ekholm and Kulak.

We couldn’t wait to through his growing pains because Bouchard was also working through his own growing pains in the NHL. You can’t have two d doing that.
His inability to grab a job and develop on his off wing (because the team had no RHD depth) is on the organization much more than its on Broberg.
He wont have that issue in St Louis.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Don't tell me you're a playoff Kulak bro. That was the guy to be jettisoned long ago if Broberg was to be properly developed and retained by the Oilers.

hf gang gang strikes again
The reality is for three straight years Broberg had his chance to make an impact in a camp and force the team to play him. For three straight years he showed very little. Just like Tyler Benson he came to camps and couldn’t even beat VD for a spot. He’s played 81 games in the NHL and has 11 points. Sure he may turn out to be a great d man but I have seen very little to point to him being anywhere near the 4.58 million he is now getting paid. It’s funny Holloway forced the issue last camp and got injured early on. We had to send him back to the AHL to be able to make the deadline deals we did last year but at least he showed he was willing to do what it takes to make the team. Broberg wanted to be gifted a spot and when he wasn’t he asked to be traded. The Oilers in no way are responsible for his failure that’s all on him IMHO.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Well yes, I agree, fixing the right side should have been a priority, and it still should be. In regards to Broberg though, fixing the right side has nothing to do with finding a spot for him on the left side. There was no room on the left side, there was never going to be room on the left side. The only real options for Broberg, were to keep him buried in the minors, trade him, or try to have him play his off side.

Well, they could have traded Kulak to free up a spot for him, like we did with Barrie for Bouchard on the right side.

You could have used Kulak's money to sign Broberg (before the offersheet), or used his money, and his trade value itself, to find a RHS D in that trade. There were 100% options, the team just didn't use them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad