Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I never heard that he was unilling to play on the right side. Its more like anyone could see that this was not a proper way to develop a player with Borbergs potential and it should have ended much sooner than it did.
If the Oilers wanted to maximize Brobergs skillset then play him on his natural side.
They couldnt though because Holland could never address the weakness on the right side.
Therefore the Borberg on the right side experiement continued on...to his detriment.

Broberg isnt a dummy...he could see that he was being mishandled.
I dont blame him a bit for wanting to make sure that he had a better situation in which to become the player he believes he is.
That just wasnt going to happen with the Oilers and Borberg could obviously read the writing on the wall.
If he doesn't get what he wants from his parents. Does he question if he's being handled properly? Not every organization is out there to screw over the kids. I've said this before. Broberg should look at his experience with ups and downs and in the end, it should be fondness. He became a better player out of it.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
What do you think those guys were worth in trade? I don't think either were worth a 1st anymore.

I genuinely believe that a 2nd round pick in the upcoming draft from a team more likely to miss the playoffs than make them would have been a pretty good trade return for Broberg given his career results. Far as I'm concerned the Oilers just plain did well here.

Holloway was more valuable than a third I doubt there will be much of any disagreement on that.

Reactions: Oilhawks

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Because he wasn’t good enough to play on the left side here above our guys so they tried to find him room somehow. Contending teams don’t just move out better players in the hopes that a prospect will be as good.
Nonsense.
The team didnt provide nearly enough opportunity for Borberg to get his fooing on his natural side.
So they solution for them was to make things even harder for the player (a developing player) and make him play on his off wing.
Its laughable.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I genuinely believe that a 2nd round pick in the upcoming draft from a team more likely to miss the playoffs than make them would have been a pretty good trade return for Broberg given his career results. Far as I'm concerned the Oilers just plain did well here.

Holloway was more valuable than a third I doubt there will be much of any disagreement on that.
I agree that Holloway without his contract was worth more than a 3rd. Holloway at 2.3M? I'm not sure on his value there.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Is there a press conference at 11? I thought I saw Bowman was having availability, or is it just some media questions?
Why? "Hey Oiler fans you just got f***ed... go to HF if you want to see some serious cope."

No Matter what the outcome was it's the Oilers getting f***ed hard under the Bettman regime yet again.

kevy9999

Mar 10, 2023
Agreed. The team is pretty significantly worse on D now, and marginally worse at forward. The D isn't so bad that we won't make playoffs or anything crazy like that, but winning the division likely won't happen with our current D setup. We probably don't win a playoff round with current D either. The only things I can think of is that Kane isn't actually needing LTIR or that we have a trade in place for a D using
Lol have a meltdown yet? We will be fine. Nothing we lost recently will make us worse in any way going forward. We will plug in more pieces as season goes along.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Nonsense.
The team didnt provide nearly enough opportunity for Borberg to get his fooing on his natural side.
So they solution for them was to make things even harder for the player (a developing player) and make him play on his off wing.
Its laughable.
So we should have moved Kulak and hoped Broberg would be as good and was able to take tough minutes from Nurse like Kulak was doing?
What contender does that for a player who has done f*** all to earn it?

Reactions: Shanahanigans

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Nonsense.
Its laughable.
What else could they have done though? They aren't bumping out Nurse or Ekholm. Kulak is the anchor on the third pair, to scratch him or move him to the right side to make room for a rookie would be weird. Broberg never earned his way into the lineup on his natural side.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
To see if Bowman says he is comfortable with the current blue line or looking to make some moves prior to the start of training camp. Looks like you'll need to change your user name to Emberson Speed. :D
The media will give him softball questions that he'll have canned answers to. "We're happy with our lineup but we are always looking to improve" and such.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
By all accounts it's a confidence thing. He was playing worried about making a mistake...which we've all seen before and how it can affect how they play. Maybe a change of scenery and coaching can unlock the player. JT Miller had nothing but praise for his ability and ceiling.
Its a fair comment but "don't give a shit" also entered radar. Could be just the way I'm perceiving the player.

That said Nucks are a strange org and a lot of players feeling sorry for themselves and suffering with confidence and struggling and even Pettersson. My take is Boudreau the crying coach grew some babies over there. So that having Tocchet now was a shock to some of the players. Who knows, Nucks are a strange bunch to figure out.

I have to get over my intense dislike for any Nuck player I guess...

Reactions: McBooya42

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If he doesn't get what he wants from his parents. Does he question if he's being handled properly? Not every organization is out there to screw over the kids. I've said this before. Broberg should look at his experience with ups and downs and in the end, it should be fondness. He became a better player out of it.
I dont think that this is an applicable comparable.

The Oilers had invested a very high draft pick by choosing Broberg. He was an excllent skater who saw the ice really well. It would have been proper to nuture his strenghts as a player and maximise his potential to help the team. Instead of trying to plug him into a situation to compensate for a lack of proper depth.
What sense does it make to force him to play his off wing in the hardest League in the world just because the teams RHD depth sucked?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Why? "Hey Oiler fans you just got f***ed... go to HF if you want to see some serious cope."

No Matter what the outcome was it's the Oilers getting f***ed hard under the Bettman regime yet again.

You think offer sheets are a Bettman thing? And the Oilers got screwed?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
What else could they have done though? They aren't bumping out Nurse or Ekholm. Kulak is the anchor on the third pair, to scratch him or move him to the right side to make room for a rookie would be weird. Broberg never earned his way into the lineup on his natural side.

Ya he just simply wasn’t good enough to force any of our LD out of a spot. We’re not a rebuilding team that’s giving your guys a shot. We’re trying to win, and Broberg playing on the left side in the past would have resulted in the team being worse

Reactions: CycloneSweep

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So we should have moved Kulak and hoped Broberg would be as good and was able to take tough minutes from Nurse like Kulak was doing?
What contender does that for a player who has done f*** all to earn it?
No.
The team should have addressed the RHD issue seperately and not f**k up Borbergs development by trying to have him fix the issue.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
No.
The team should have addressed the RHD issue seperately and not f**k up Borbergs development by trying to have him fix the issue.
So you're saying we should have traded Kulak to make room for Broberg then? Trading Nurse isn't possible, and obviously Ekholm's role is too large for Broberg, so that's really the only option, right?

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Don't tell me you're a playoff Kulak bro. That was the guy to be jettisoned long ago if Broberg was to be properly developed and retained by the Oilers.

hf gang gang strikes again

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I dont think that this is an applicable comparable.

The Oilers had invested a very high draft pick by choosing Broberg. He was an excllent skater who saw the ice really well. It would have been proper to nuture his strenghts as a player and maximise his potential to help the team. Instead of trying to plug him into a situation to compensate for a alck of proper depth.
What sense does it make to force him to play his off wing in the hardest League in the world just because the teams RHD depth sucked?
Even McDavid had to start in the middle six and work his way up and playing with the likes of Pouliot and Yak. Sure he got there faster cause he had earned it. A generational talent still had to prove himself. Broberg was given his spot and never ran with it. Got to further develop in the AHL.
Why Broberg is upset playing on the offside in the NHL is head scratching? Like why is he upset with that?

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Its a fair comment but "don't give a shit" also entered radar. Could be just the way I'm perceiving the player.

That said Nucks are a strange org and a lot of players feeling sorry for themselves and suffering with confidence and struggling and even Pettersson. My take is Boudreau the crying coach grew some babies over there. So that having Tocchet now was a shock to some of the players. Who knows, Nucks are a strange bunch to figure out.

I have to get over my intense dislike for any Nuck player I guess...
Fair points lol. Here's hoping that our coaches can find a balance that he can succeed with. He's got the toolset.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad