Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Yep. But if the players truly didn't want to be here what is that saying too about the room or the org. For one its saying that the org is dedicated to players other than the ones they draft and will just insert whatever players they want over those they drafted. Its a heinous message for an org to send its prospects. At this poiint why even draft? (sarcasm)

The lifeblood of teams comes from its strong drafting. How ironic if Oilers fans forgot about all that. Our whole 5 cups are due to developing and drafting.
not sure you’ve checked the roster but the oilers have drafted their best players

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Podkolzin is far from a lock and the likelihood here is that he could burn out as quickly as he did even in Vancouver where spots were freely available. The Nucks considered this player basically unusable. Pulled him out of the trash for a couple playoff games out of injury desperation.
He could. But he could also be as good as Holloway.
By most accounts Podkolzin was mishandled in Vancouver at the start and has struggled but has changed his game since then. A change of scenery could change things for him too.

Reactions: McBooya42

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I’d be very curious to know if Broberg and Holloway knew about each other’s offer sheet beforehand.

Seems like they probably would, but I don’t think there’s any obligation from St. Louis to bring it up.

Maybe Holloway didn’t realize Broberg was involved?
Holloway most likely knew. I doubt he signs it if he was the only one.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Why didnt the Oilers maximize his development by actually playing Broberg on his natural side?

Likely because the teams RHD depth was so bad that they had to try and force their best skating prospect to play the right side.
Then when fans yelled about how Borberg is struggling the narrative that it must be the player popped up and got embraced.
Its a flawed narrative IMO. Very shortsighted.
He didn't play every waking moment here at RD. If there is too much depth in 1 spot you either adapt or you don't get a shot. He was never going to play over Ek or Nurse in his ELC and Kulak is a great 3rd pairing D. I stand by what I said that he would hold the puck too long and get belted. If that is now gone from his game he will thrive. If not there will be additional shoulder injuries in his future.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If the rumours are that he and every other LD weren’t willing to play on their offside, what were they supposed to do, trade Kulak for a maybe in a critical year? They just traded the only vet D they felt they could move on from and he was another RD. Bouchard would have been “f***ed around” if he was an LD too
I never heard that he was unilling to play on the right side. Its more like anyone could see that this was not a proper way to develop a player with Borbergs potential and it should have ended much sooner than it did.
If the Oilers wanted to maximize Brobergs skillset then play him on his natural side.
They couldnt though because Holland could never address the weakness on the right side.
Therefore the Borberg on the right side experiement continued on...to his detriment.

Broberg isnt a dummy...he could see that he was being mishandled.
I dont blame him a bit for wanting to make sure that he had a better situation in which to become the player he believes he is.
That just wasnt going to happen with the Oilers and Borberg could obviously read the writing on the wall.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Why didnt the Oilers maximize his development by actually playing Broberg on his natural side?

Likely because the teams RHD depth was so bad that they had to try and force their best skating prospect to play the right side.
Then when fans yelled about how Borberg is struggling the narrative that it must be the player popped up and got embraced.
Because Playoff Kulak Bros. I hate Playoff Kulak Bros with a passion. I hope those assholes were at least getting paid.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

We did play him on his natural side for a good while in the most sheltered possible minutes and he did mediocre in it. Then we traded for Ekholm and Broberg couldn't outplay Kulak

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He didn't play every waking moment here at RD. If there is too much depth in 1 spot you either adapt or you don't get a shot. He was never going to play over Ek or Nurse in his ELC and Kulak is a great 3rd pairing D. I stand by what I said that he would hold the puck too long and get belted. If that is now gone from his game he will thrive. If not there will be additional shoulder injuries in his future.
He literally played 90% of the time on the right side.
This is textbook on how to f**k up a players development and piss off the player.

I dont balme Broberg much at all.
I sure blame Holland though.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I wonder if part of the reason they didn't match was because a bunch of players have signed here for a discount recently. Then you have Draisaitl, Mcdavid and Bouchard talking about taking a discount to help the team win now. Broberg and Holloway put themselves ahead of the team for money and maybe they weren't welcome in the lockerroom.

Reactions: KlimasLoveChild

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
We did play him on his natural side for a good while in the most sheltered possible minutes and he did mediocre in it. Then we traded for Ekholm and Broberg couldn't outplay Kulak
Again...he didnt play much on the left side but why shift a young player back and forth.
You wouldnt do it with Nurse (a vet player) so why would it be a good idea with Broberg...a developing player?
Its just really poor management of a player that is trying to find his footing in the NHL.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Holloway most likely knew. I doubt he signs it if he was the only one.

I think the opposite. I think it’s much easier to convince him the Oilers will match (from the agent’s side) if it isn’t attached to another $4.5 million contract.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
So, what's opening day roster looking like?

RNH-Mcdavid-Hyman
Skinner-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
??-??-Podkolzin?
Janmark-Henrique-Brown

Extras: Perry, Ryan
IR: Kane

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Emberson?
Kulak-Stecher?

Lot of holes to fill here. Also, I know they played 3rd line in the finals but I don't think Brown-Henrique-Janmark have the juice to play 3rd line for a full season. They are more of a 4th line to me.

Last edited:

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Podkolzin is far from a lock and the likelihood here is that he could burn out as quickly as he did even in Vancouver where spots were freely available. The Nucks considered this player basically unusable. Pulled him out of the trash for a couple playoff games out of injury desperation.
By all accounts it's a confidence thing. He was playing worried about making a mistake...which we've all seen before and how it can affect how they play. Maybe a change of scenery and coaching can unlock the player. JT Miller had nothing but praise for his ability and ceiling.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
There it is, that old familiar feeling of being embarrassed to be an Oilers fan. Jackson was a perfect fit to run this team.
Why? They have done as good as they can to respond without destroying the cap structure (and actually fixing it, it seems). Pod instead of Holloway is a bit of a toss up at the moment. Emberson instead of Broberg is a downgrade in potential and skill, but on the ice, it seems that Emberson actually looked more stable in his limited games that Broberg did in his. Of course, we lose that top end potential, most likely, but it looks like we've already replaced both players we lost, with marginal downgrades, and some draft picks to help fill the Ceci hole later if needed. I don't see what there is to be embarassed about.

Reactions: barry halls

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
He'll see the downside of what he signed up for when the Blues have to qualify him for $3M+ and just choose not to.

He's a prime candidate to join the "too good for a $1x1 deal, but not close to good enough to support my QO" club that just end up signing $1x1 deals repetitively as a UFA. This wasn't his deal to cash in on, that was the next one, but he may have just lost that unless he plays lights out.

I doubt it. He’ll be just entering his prime when this deal is done. Teams aren’t going to refuse to pay him just because St Louis overpaid on his previous deal.

Well Broberg being a big baby after shitting the bed until being sent down last year and then the playoffs can also get f***ed. I don't blame him for the financial decision but had it not been for him wanting to move on so bad this may not have gone down the same way. You wonder if the decision was made by Bowman and JJ to jettison both as an example of not being strong armed and if you don't want to be here there are others that do.

It definitely feels that way when it comes to Holloway. We could have matched and run a 21 man roster, even without Kane on LTIR. But the team has very much set a precedent of late that you take less to be here, and if you prioritize money over winning, you’re not welcome.

They will get boos for sure, and well-deserved, despite the “anyone would have taken the money” mantra

Even the “anyone would have taken the money” doesn’t really apply to Holloway though. He barely got any extra. I don’t think anyone will have sympathy for him.

Loser fLames fan at his core, I guess

Definitely could be a factor. Everyone I know who’s been drafted immediately became a fan of the team that drafted them, but Calgary’s ownership/fans are a different breed of pettiness

Reactions: Oilhawks

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Lol getting mad at Broberg for signing with St Louis for triple. I love how people think they would have passed that up if they were given the same situation, delusional thinking from fans who only think of the team they are rooting for and not the life of the individual making the decision. And those who say others were taking less, show me someone who hasn’t made serious money in his career who was willing to take 1/3 of what they would have gotten elsewhere. This is lifelong altering money for Broberg and his family, there is no guarantee he would not have busted or gotten injured.

Reactions: Oilfan89

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Again...he didnt play much on the left sude but why shift the player back and forth. You wouldnt do it with Nurse (a vet player) so why would it be a good idea with Broberg...a developing player?
Its just really poor management of a player.
Because he wasn’t good enough to play on the left side here above our guys so they tried to find him room somehow. Contending teams don’t just move out better players in the hopes that a prospect will be as good.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Last season has absolutely zero to do with the fact that Perry and Brown contracts don’t impeded their ability to sign these players at all.

In the end Holloway to Podkolzin isnt the end of the world. Similar age, similar draft pedigree, only difference is Podkolzin has actually done something at the NHL level and is coming in at less then half the cost.

That said I still think Savoie is going to surprise this year and the kid still has 3 years of elc.
Have you watched Podkolzin much? People here would get on Holloway when they even perceived an error or misplay. With Podkolzin there are complete disconnect moments. A player so bad he played himself off the Nucks. This player has been a complete no show ghost for the last two seasons. Both in the NHL and AHL.

I even tend to like Russian players more than most and have a soft spot for them and I'm not expecting much from this guy.

Pod hasn't even scored an NHL goal since 22-23.

Holloway was looking up. Not so much this guy we're getting.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Remember when Ceci, Broberg and Desharnais were the worse players, until they weren’t?
Yeah, it's kind of crazy that people are pining for Desharnais and Ceci in particular when they were being trashed by this fanbase all season. Did people forget how utterly awful the Nurse-Ceci pairing was? The Oilers needed mobility on the right side, it was full of average to below average skaters two of whom couldn't pass the puck if their life depending on it. At the very least, maybe they'll have a little more mobility and puckmoving ability from the right side. I'm really not lamenting the loss of Ceci and Desharnais although the PK has to be shored up a bit.

Also, People are talking about that hole at #2 RHD, well.... it's been there for years so this is nothing new. At least in this case MAYBE Emberson can grow into that role because we sure as hell know that Ceci and Desharnais weren't.
This is the cost of paying Nurse and Campbell's those egregious numbers not to mention the Brown bonus even though I like the player a lot, you have to nickel and dime at certain positions.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad