Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
These losses, especially the loss of Broberg, is another casualty of the Nurse contract. If the Oilers fully believed Broberg was ready for a top 4 role this year, they could've traded Nurse to a team that needed a veteran top 4 D if he made like 7 mill. Or worse case, used that extra money to sign them both. There will continue to be cap casualties on this team because Nurse is significantly overpaid, and no team will take his contract.
The big wrinkle there is Nurse would have to want to move?
Why would we when we were in game 7 of the finals?
Zero chance you convince him to waive.

Reactions: Faelko

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
what happens if he living up to the contract though?
You have to make decisions with information you have at the time. Broberg hasn’t shown anything in his career that he will be able to come in and play a full season at top 4 minutes.

So IF he does become that in STL you just take your bumps. The decision making and thought process that management has shown since the offersheet is solid and i trust in JJ. They clearly didn’t see broberg coming in and taking top 4 minutes so they went out and got someone to replace Brobergs bottom pairing minutes on short notice while giving us cap flexibility in case something shakes loose during the season.

If broberg played 50 games last season and looked good doing it, it’s a harder choice to make, he played 12, games and looked bad and played 10 in the playoffs and rated last amongst our D in analytics.

The balance of probabilities suggest that over this contract he wont live up his cap hit and on a team that has aspirations to win a cup you can’t tie up that much money in a player that isn’t worth it, especially with the previous cap errors we have made in the past.

Reactions: North

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
My biggest concern today is that the Oilers have moved on from almost ALL the prospects they've had over the last several years.

Not just the two today but moving from Bourgault, McLeod, Oilers misfiring on tons of drafts.

Indeed the Oilers have two players in the lineup since Connor McDavid pick. Thats 10 f***ing years of drafting and two roster players to show for it. That is pathetic.

What other contending teams do so consistently poorly at draft or developing their picks or failing to utilize them and retain then?

As a result this team is among oldest teams in league. Older than last season.

I'm not assuming Podkolzin even makes the lineup. Whens the last time the Oilers even had any success with a Russian prospect?
Seriously this. Oilers are looking like they have no future now past 2 seasons so putting myself in Drai shoes I’d sign a 1 year and leave as UFA the same year as Mcdavid to teams that can compete with a future vs what the oilers look like in 2 years.

Where’s the incentive for our stars to stay? Money? They can get that anywhere

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Swaps overall this summer:

Savoie, Podkolzin, Emberson, Jarventie, Fischer, 2nd, 3rd for McLeod, Holloway, Broberg, Bourgault, Tullio, Ceci

Funny to see all of Holland’s 1st round choices out of the organization already

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
The big wrinkle there is Nurse would have to want to move?
Why would we when we were in game 7 of the finals?
Zero chance you convince him to waive.
That's another thing, his contract didn't have to include a full no move. His agent really took Holland to the cleaners on that one man, got everything and then some. I read somewhere that there will be 2 NHL defensemen making $12 mill in salary next year- Adam Fox and Darnell Nurse. Lol.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I’m not sure I understand. You’re complaining about losing Ceci but think it would take a 1st to get him (or someone like him) back?
He’s’ just being overly emotional over losing a player that most likely not going to have an impact this season and can’t see the forest for the trees.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Correct decision made.

I have a feeling the Blues will get buyers remorse this season and a good chance these players don’t finish their contracts with them
They’ll get remorse on Bro for sure when they see how spazzy he can get.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
95% of people arent crying about the player. I cant really even think of many posters on here that were full believers of Bro.

People arent upset about Bro the player leaving, they are upset about the hole in the roster it is leaving.

I dont think its that hard to grasp.

I agree 100% with this post. The problem is, what hole was Broberg going to fill? He would be a disaster with Nurse so Broberg is your 3rd line LD for next 2 years. That is probably the easiest role on the team to fill other than maybe 4th line winger.

I liked Broberg and think he has some upside but there was no way for him to succeed as an oiler in the next 2 years. At less then 2 mill, you use the 4LD spot as development for him. At 4.3, you don't walk away, you run. Having him and Ceci on your3rd pair is 7.5M tied up in a role that should total about 2.5 mill.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
It sure feels like Holloway should be firing his agent after we didn’t match. You gain like a million dollars short term, but you go from having opportunity on the Cup favourite to not really even a bigger role (and with drastically worse players) on a bubble team at best. Long term, he probably costs himself substantially more than the million he’s getting. Not to mention, any Albertan that spends a significant chunk of their career playing here is going to have a heck of a lot of opportunities after retirement
This is creative math. The Oilers had offered Holloway only 1.2M. His two yr deal in STL is a whole 2.3M over what it would have been here. Really around TWICE the pay. Not sure why people are using the ask price, of 1.8M in the calculation. The Oilers weren't prepared to pay Holloway that here.

Theres other aspects too, and the kind that make it increasingly difficult for young players to develop here. The unending scrutiny, blame, fans saying that Holloway is nothing, no loss etc. Just look at this thread. Holloway to most of the fans here is oatmeal.

So that instead he gets to play in a market that is an extreme fishbowl.

I'm sure Holloway and his agent are fine, I wish them well. Its the Oilers fault they are gone.

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Correct decision made.

I have a feeling the Blues will get buyers remorse this season and a good chance these players don’t finish their contracts with them
I personally hopes it screw them over in that their RFA’s see how much money they gave unproven players. And they hold out for more. They may have totally destroyed their internal cap structure and I’m glad we didn’t let St Louis further destroy ours.

Reactions: Oilhawks

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
95% of people arent crying about the player. I cant really even think of many posters on here that were full believers of Bro.

People arent upset about Bro the player leaving, they are upset about the hole in the roster it is leaving.

I dont think its that hard to grasp.
Broberg leaving does leave a hole in the roster as he was ill suited to be a RHD.
Ceci leaving is the hole that needs to be filled.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
Hot take! The problem started when we resigned Kulak. Kulak is great for what he is, but it hindered the natural progression for Broberg.
Kulak has been absolutely money the last 3 playoffs, and his steadiness has offered some reprieve from how bad Nurse-Ceci were during that same time- his minutes are a big reason for our deep playoff runs. Broberg absolutely would not have provided the same steadiness.

Reactions: Barrsy and The Nuge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad