Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Bro was definitely slotted in there with pencil. There’s not a lot to say he would have succeeded.

Not arguing there. I was very skeptical of Bros ability to be able to play those mins effectively. But all Im saying, this clearly blows a hole in the plans of JJ, Bowman and Knob.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
no more terrifying than relying on this current defense to hold together and stay injury free

Really? Because it seems the exact opposite to me.

Having the option to make changes to the defense if they aren’t performing well seems a lot better than not having it, no?

Reactions: Macblender

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
95% of people arent crying about the player. I cant really even think of many posters on here that were full believers of Bro.

People arent upset about Bro the player leaving, they are upset about the hole in the roster it is leaving.

I dont think its that hard to grasp.

Ok but this makes no sense because that hole is still there even if you keep Broberg.

Except in that scenario you have no options to fill it other than hopes and prayers that Philip figures it out on his off side.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Ceci, despite his warts...is a decent #5

now we got got 3 "maybes"
Not a lie, but we pulled the band-aid off to have cap flexibility... now they need to get Draisaitl done and there should be no excuses to not get Bouchard done long term.

Would you be satisfied with the situation if 8 year deals for Draisaitl and Bouchard were announced?

I'd take the 3 maybes on D to start the season if the two were extended to max deals.
Yet they left him down and traded for Stetcher. So yes Stetcher was ahead of him for a time. Only time Broberg drew in was once Stetcher was out for the season injured.
True, if Stecher was healthy and ready to go for the playoffs I doubt Broberg gets his audition.

Reactions: nabob

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
95% of people arent crying about the player. I cant really even think of many posters on here that were full believers of Bro.

People arent upset about Bro the player leaving, they are upset about the hole in the roster it is leaving.

I dont think its that hard to grasp.
What hole does broberg leave that’s not covered by the guys we picked up? You aren’t seriously thinking Broberg walks in and plays second pairing to do? If we kept broberg, we gotta trade Kulak, and that leaves a bigger hole. Broberg is currently a bottom pairing D man and we have that in spades. We always needed a top 4 guy with Broberg or not.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
disagree

and I think St. Louis knows this and why they paid a huge price for him...their scouting is light years better than ours

I don't perceive this as something to disagree about - objectively he has shown Top4 ability for all of about a minute at the NHL level over a fairly long time span.

Even his vaunted playoff performance is getting the benefit of a bit of revisionist history. He was mediocre at best in the Finals. He had a flash in Game 4 and 5 against the Stars, then was blah after that. There is pretty much nothing in his regular season history that indicates that he'll be anything.

So not really sure what you're leaning on other than "but it might work out!" that substantiates a potentially crippling decision to sign him for $4.5M despite not playing to that level for more than about 25 total mins of ice.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
injuries occur, you can put Perry/Ryan/Brown into the minors

there are ways to figure this out
Okay you put all 3 of those guys in the minors then you have a roster that doesn't even have 12 forward.
Literally keeping Broberg means our team would be lokced in until Kane is back and then the team would be getting worse the moment Kane has to come back.
We would have had to move one of Arvidsson, Skinner, Kane, Nuge, Henrique and then maybe one more to keep Broberg.
We were backed into a corner and you are asking the team to be backed into a bigger corner and literally hoping and praying for more injuries. Thats some Chia level GMing.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Really? Because it seems the exact opposite to me.

Having the option to make changes to the defense if they aren’t performing well seems a lot better than not having it, no?
you need to have good assets to get good players back, no? Ekholm, for example, was traded for a 1st (something we don't have) and Schaeffer

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
In my biased opinion, Swedish defensemen usually become good. I'm sceptical about parting with Broberg even if he hasnt reached his potentonal

North

Jun 25, 2009
Ultimately the question you have to ask is based on performance to date would you sign either of these guys to the deals they now have?

We made reasonable offers to both based on performance and they decided to wait it out and got significant pay increases.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
What hole does broberg leave that’s not covered by the guys we picked up? You aren’t seriously thinking Broberg walks in and plays second pairing to do? If we kept broberg, we gotta trade Kulak, and that leaves a bigger hole. Broberg is currently a bottom pairing D man and we have that in spades. We always needed a top 4 guy with Broberg or not.

Reading comprehension is tough.

I never said we should match him. I very clearly have stated multiple times, we made the right choice to let him walk and we are good enough to survive with replacement level players. I also stated that I was very skeptical he would be able to adequately play the role coaching/management clearly had earmarked for him.

All I am saying, is that the coaching staff and management were clearly penciling him into that top 4 role and the plan was to audition him there on a cheap contract. It bought us time and potentially an easy fix for our top 4 if everything worked out. That plan is out the window and now we are scrambling with a few a guys who we NEVER expected to play that role hoping they can fill in.

Thats all im saying. Our plans were disrupted and their is hole in the plans we made. Now we have to audition guys like Emberson and Stetcher and hope they can fill in major minutes.

Reactions: FlameChampion

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I don't perceive this as something to disagree about - objectively he has shown Top4 ability for all of about a minute at the NHL level over a fairly long time span.

Even his vaunted playoff performance is getting the benefit of a bit of revisionist history. He was mediocre at best in the Finals. He had a flash in Game 4 and 5 against the Stars, then was blah after that. There is pretty much nothing in his regular season history that indicates that he'll be anything.

So not really sure what you're leaning on other than "but it might work out!" that substantiates a potentially crippling decision to sign him for $4.5M despite not playing to that level for more than about 25 total mins of ice.
so why did St. Louis target him and overpay him? they believe he can blossom into a top 4 d-man...which I agree with
I don't get the "he'll never be worth 4.6!" narrative

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
so why did St. Louis target him and overpay him? they believe he can blossom into a top 4 d-man...which I agree with
I don't get the "he'll never be worth 4.6!" narrative

St. Louis has cap space, is in a re-tool and has zero expectations of competing for a cup this year. It isn't complicated to see why their situation is different.

You think they're taking a $4.5M swing on a career NHL/AHL tweener if they are expecting to win the cup this year?

Reactions: nabob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad