Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
How many times did fans panic when a samarukov, bear or Caleb Jones was traded? Find that there is an element of fan base that way over rates prospects on this team.

Broberg at the end of the day was a prospect and was not worth this obscene offer. St Louis is who knows how many years away from being a playoff contender and with a ton of cap space can behave silly.

It would have been silly to pay Broberg such an outlandish price when he's still a prospect at best.

95% of people arent crying about the player. I cant really even think of many posters on here that were full believers of Bro.

People arent upset about Bro the player leaving, they are upset about the hole in the roster it is leaving.

I dont think its that hard to grasp.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Him underperforming at $4.5M literally could cost the team a cup. Obviously it is never a guarantee regardless, but you sink that money into him and he doesn't perform like a top 4 d man, you are f***ed.

Instead, you now have the flexibility to add a proven guy at the same price level or maybe even higher at the deadline. One that is for sure going to give you top 4 minutes.

I initially wanted the Broberg deal matched, but the more I look at it, the better it is they were let go.
and what if he's blossoms into a legit top 4 d-man?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
the Oilers are putting Kane on LTIR...figure out the cap after Kane is back

Yes, it was an option. An option that could have led to some terrifying times in-season.

And it can still happen, can’t it? Technically, if they wanted to, they could add a pretty big-name defenseman right now and max out LTIR, couldn’t they?

Whether that’s the smart thing to do or not is another issue.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
the Oilers are putting Kane on LTIR...figure out the cap after Kane is back
Okay so we go into LTIR space so we don't accrue cap so at the deadline we are having to sell $3mill in players and are unable to add anyone. You know ultimately that is worse right?

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
of course it's a risk...but this organization knows him better than anyone
it's a better risk than allowing unknowns and journeymen play top 4 defense and "babysit" Nurse IMO
And they walked away from him…

Time will tell if that was a mistake, i dont think Broberg lives up to that contract in the next 2 years. Brobergs value to the team was his cost controlled nature. That’s gone now, in no world do you gamble on him 4.5.

Reactions: JarvisFunk

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Yes, it was an option. An option that could have led to some terrifying times in-season.

And it can still happen, can’t it? Technically, if they wanted to, they could add a pretty big-name defenseman right now and max out LTIR, couldn’t they?

Whether that’s the smart thing to do or not is another issue.
no more terrifying than relying on this current defense to hold together and stay injury free

Reactions: Forgot About Drai

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
and what if he's blossoms into a legit top 4 d-man?

Then he does.

I'm not sure how you cannot see this from the Oilers perspective. A maybe type situation, where if the worst case situation happens the Oilers are absolutely f***ed cap wise, or the flexibility to add a defenseman that is guaranteed to be able to handle the minutes for the same price tag.

For a team in a must-win situation, the first option is pretty much impossible to choose.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
95% of people arent crying about the player. I cant really even think of many posters on here that were full believers of Bro.

People arent upset about Bro the player leaving, they are upset about the hole in the roster it is leaving.

I dont think its that hard to grasp.
What gap? He had a few good weeks in the playoffs. He has not shown he is able to play 82 games a year.

For all the "but klefbom" comparisons the most glaring is how often they're both injured and then you're right back to those gaps.

They clearly emberson and it appears to be a heavy analytics trade. Let's see how it pans out. First time we've had an analytics heavy management group.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
List of RHD that are going to be UFAS next summer
Ekblad
Provorov
Petry
Theodore
Savard
Ceci
Fabbro

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Looks like Bowman wants to fix that 2nd RHD spot for real. I'm pretty happy about that. Ceci/Broberg/Stecher is probably what Holland would have left Knob to struggle with all year, and very likely it would derail our season again. The hardest move is still left to make for Bowman. Maybe he waits to see if a team struggles early in the year and he can pounce on a team and grab a RHD. I think Stecher could survive a while with Nurse, or we push Kulak to play the spot letting him know a replacement is coming.

It might be a bit hard, but IMO this was the path to actually, finally, fixing this D group. So much of Knob's energy was wasted last season trying to figure out our bottom 4 D, and it killed us in the end, extending the Canucks series, and tanked us in the first game of the finals that gave Florida momentum to go up 3-0. Can't let that happen again.

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
Annoying, but not that much a big deal in the end

Holloway was meh in the regular season, and at 22 you have to wonder how much more upside there is. His playoffs were good and he showed well, but you never know if thats just a flash in the pan or not. I would have matched.

Podkolzin seems like an adequate replacement though. Similar style, similar upside. I think Holloway is better right now, but the gap is minor

Broberg, I have never really been a fan of. His hockey iQ has always been the question mark. He has great raw tools, but that only goes so fa.r He showed well in 10 playoff games and gave a glimmer of a top 4 D, which was encouraging. But that could also just be the raw tools showing well for a brief stint. Him at 4.5M is crazy, as he may not even be a full time NHLer next year, plus his RFA years will also cost atleast that

Would have preferred to have them both signed before all this for reasonable amounts, but I think we made the best of a bad situation by not matching and by finding cheaper altneratives who are only slight downgrades

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
What gap? He had a few good weeks in the playoffs. He has not shown he is able to play 82 games a year.

For all the "but klefbom" comparisons the most glaring is how often they're both injured and then you're right back to those gaps.

They clearly emberson and it appears to be a heavy analytics trade. Let's see how it pans out. First time we've had an analytics heavy management group.

He was very clearly slotted in to play along nurse and have top 4 minutes this year.

Im pumped on Emberson and as I said earlier I think we are talented enough to survive these guys leaving. But it does leave some noticeable holes that Hollo and Bro were penciled in to fill.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I don't see a ton of reason not to take the word of Broberg's agent as mostly the truth and he said 2 years 1.1M AAV.

That sounds about right to me given Edmonton's cap situation a week ago and what the guy has actually accomplished to date.

That’s what the offer is. I am just saying if JJ only values Broberg at 1.5 max, then maybe he doesn’t care about an offer sheet. Unfortunately we will really never know the facts.

And we can’t see the future to see how the players pan out.

Reactions: Oilhawks

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
He was very clearly slotted in to play along nurse and have top 4 minutes this year.

Im pumped on Emberson and as I said earlier I think we are talented enough to survive these guys leaving. But it does leave some noticeable holes that Hollo and Bro were penciled in to fill.
Bro was definitely slotted in there with pencil. There’s not a lot to say he would have succeeded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad