Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I was upset for a bit at this mornings news but I’ve since moved into just laughing at the whole debacle of broberg, boldy/zegras and Hollands old school approach to new school players
Give Bowman his due, I was dead set against matching offer sheets, as many were, but he showed resolve and locked into his decision.

Not only that, he went out and found some affordable alternatives to both positions at a fraction of the price.

Hurts losing two good young players but now we have some 2025 draft capital.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
That is of course assuming that was the only contract he'd sign.

Now you’re catching on. We know of exactly one number he was willing to sign with the Oilers at: $4,580,917. His ask is obviously independent of the Oilers’ cap situation. Unfortunate, but that’s his right.

We know that whatever the Oilers were offering, he was unwilling to agree to.

We have no idea if the Oilers’ offer was based on what they thought he was worth, or cap space, or some combination of both. But from the rumoured numbers, it was a less than a quarter of what he signed for.

There’s clearly more to it than just being “proactive”, or having more cap space.

Reactions: Faelko

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Now you’re catching on. We know of exactly one number he was willing to sign with the Oilers at: $4,580,917. His ask is obviously independent of the Oilers’ cap situation. Unfortunate, but that’s his right.

We know that whatever the Oilers were offering, he was unwilling to agree to.

We have no idea if the Oilers’ offer was based on what they thought he was worth, or cap space, or some combination of both. But from the rumoured numbers, it was a less than a quarter of what he signed for.

There’s clearly more to it than just being “proactive”, or having more cap space.
I can guarantee you that the Oilers could've hammered out a deal more reasonable than the one he took. But alas, cap crunch caused by unwise spending by the previous GM and the current GM(s) just assumed that nothing would happen to Holloway or Broberg. Nurse better have a monster year, that's all I'll say about him.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I get the feeling like the oilers did the 1.1 x 2 offer last year and Broberg camp had it in their mind all along that an offer sheet was the way they wanted to go. His agent saying they had multiple other teams lined up with offer sheets tells me that they weren’t even interested in negotiating with the Oilers.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
It was a suspect blue line that has been downgraded. It has to be improved

Keep in mind our PK has been hit hard. Our PK is a big reason we got to the SCF

Thing is, our PK was the same under Woodcroft, yet that was failing miserably before Knob came in. So I'm gonna lean towards it was a Systems Play and not because of some players.

Reactions: nabob

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Dude get off the bridge... how does our current D suck? It's practically the same as last year sans a young player who played 10 good games in the playoffs and a guy everyone and their mother was saying we should ship off no matter the cost.
nah it sucks...Desharnais and Ceci are gone, replaced with Yotes and SJ Sharks castoffs

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I can guarantee you that the Oilers could've hammered out a deal more reasonable than the one he took. But alas, cap crunch caused by unwise spending by the previous GM and the current GM(s) just assumed that nothing would happen to Holloway or Broberg. Nurse better have a monster year, that's all I'll say about him.
No you can’t guarantee that. He was a free agent. A RFA but still a free agent.

His agent has come out and said they had multiple other offer sheets he had negotiated lined up. Sounds like Broberg got his wish and got out of Edmonton.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I get the feeling like the oilers did the 1.1 x 2 offer last year and Broberg camp had it in their mind all along that an offer sheet was the way they wanted to go. His agent saying they had multiple other teams lined up with offer sheets tells me that they weren’t even interested in negotiating with the Oilers.
They used the playoffs to boost their value and held out for the OS

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yes they were playing him on the right side because he wasn't going to be playing over Nurse or Ekholm.

No I don't think that had much to do in terms of development. His biggest issue from the start is he had no hussle in his game. It doesn't matter if you are on the right or left side, if you lose every foot race to the puck. Look at the games he played earlier this season, he was f***in awful. he made Vinny look really good. He was great for like 8ish games in the playoffs but other than that he left much to be desired.
I couldnt disagree with the bolded more.
Playing a rookie on his off side in the NHL is rarely ever a good idea.
I posted this already but just imagine how bad Nurse would be on his off side and he is a Vet player.
Its a big deal and the Oilers lack of quality on the right side hurt the team and it hurt Broberg's development.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I couldnt disagree with the bolded more.
Playing a rookie on his off side in the NHL is rarely ever a good idea.
I posted this already but just imagine how bad Nurse would be on his off side and he is a Vet player.
Its a big deal and the Oilers lack of quality on the right side hurt the team and it hurt Broberg's development.
imho Holland had to see this and the fact that he was never swapped for a similar RHD propsect, even with a bit of an add is a massive oversight.
If Broberg was a RHD he would still be here most likely. But he isn't.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
They used the playoffs to boost their value and held out for the OS
If not for the playoffs he either signs a 1 year deal with the oil or possibly still signs an offer sheet. Just would have been a cheaper. But he would have got 2.3? Over a year instead of the 1.5 he likely would have ended up with from the Oilers in the end.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Oilers are rolling into the season with largely the exact same D outside of a guy the entire fanbase wanted shot into the sun and never seen again.

They get what is likely to be an equal level replacement back for him plus FINALLY some cap flexibility and now their D core is suddenly going from top 5 in the league to bottom feeders.

Absolutely comical commentary on here.
fans wanted an UPGRADE on Ceci, not a downgrade

this isn't hard to grasp

Reactions: Forgot About Drai

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad