Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
When people say the Oilers should have been “proactive”, I’m not entirely sure what they mean by it.

You can be as proactive as you want. It still takes two sides to agree to a contract.

I find this line of reasoning to be both true and completely disingenuous.

We know that Oilers management prioritized UFAs, Hiring a GM, and signing Draisaitl to guarantee the long term cap structure - in that order. They told us as much. They had qualifying offers out to these guys, and maybe there were some lowball starter offers out there that have henceforth gone unreported or discussed.

At the end of the day, if they prioritized signing these guys to reasonable deals, they for certain could have had Holloway out of the equation at a minimum. Maybe Broberg was looking offer sheet from the get-go, but prioritizing these negotiations could have potentially circumvented all of this.

I’d argue that based on what we know it’s MORE counterfactual to suggest that “it takes two to tango / the players didnt want to sign here” than to say that “we could have signed them if we prioritized them”.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I'm upset at the way the defense looks right now. I have no idea why that's such a contentious thing to be upset about. I also don't like the idea of just waiting for the TDL to roll around to strengthen things, especially considering we don't have a first round pick this year.
I have no idea why it’s so bad in your mind that we both agree that the Oilers defense as it stands isn’t good enough. But that’s not what you’re harping on and carrying on about.

Maybe there’s someone you can pay yo talk to about it?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
LTIR means effectively not adding at the deadline. They will have 4.4M at the deadline now if they don’t put Kane on LTIR. With retention including double retention that means they might have effectively 13.2M at the deadline and lots of draft capital to utilize to add plus they can bring Kane back with no other moves required.

Smart move to let them walk for a massive overpay on StL end and get 3 draft picks and a player plus adding Podkast and Emberson.
No what I'm saying is they will be into before camp is finished

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Being able to add a top 4 D at the deadline will make our D better than any of the past 3 years. Hell even the year before we were the toughest test for Vegas and likely would have pushed it to game 7 if not for Nurse being a moron.

Everyone on here said Ceci was bottom pairing so replacing him with Emberson shouldn't be a huge issue. Broberg was also hot garbage last year except for like 10ish games in the playoffs.
The good news regarding Emberson is that he is a natural RHD.
That should help assuming he is at least a low event player on D.
Essentially he needs to be the anti Nurse.

Reactions: ujju2 and McNuge

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Ceci and Desharnais aren't any good. Apparently that's now a tough thing for this board to accept which is a bit strange but here we are.

Short term I'm actually more worried about the bottom 6 at forward.

Reactions: M Ace and Oilhawks

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Edmonton
I don't really see anything to be upset about.

Neither Broberg or Holloway were worth matching. Team got a bunch of picks and some cap space that can be used to find an upgrade on Ceci during the regular season.

Very likely there will be better options when some teams realize they aren't going to make the playoffs.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Just so absolutely comical (and predictable) that many "fans" that were calling Holloway and Bro busts are now losing their shit that we lost these 2. Just whatever they can do to shit on the Oil. Pick a lane, fellas.
Add Ceci in there as well. People who never wanted to see him in an Oilers jersey again are now so mad that he’s gone lol

94 Oil Drops

SKINNER(S!)
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
I wonder how far Akey is to being NHL ready. I doubt he'll be ready to play this season but maybe the org is confident he'll turn out to be a serious player. Might partially explain why they decided not to match Broberg aside from the cap reasons.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
The thing about Broberg (and I have posted about this wuite a bit already) is that the Oilers were trying to develop him as anb NHL player on his worng side.
That IMO was a mistake that the Blues wont make.

I am hoping Emberson is at least solid on D. Dont care about his offence at all.

That has more to do with Broberg not developing at all for multiple years, to the point of needing to get a guy like Ekholm to slot in the position Broberg should have been in. Our top 2 LD should have been Nurse and Broberg for more than a decade, Broberg simply did not have a killers mentality. Do you remember what he looked like to start the year? He was TERRIBLE. Lost every race for a puck battle even though he's one of the best skaters in the entire league.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I wonder how far Akey is to being NHL ready. I doubt he'll be ready to play this season but maybe the org is confident he'll turn out to be a serious player. Might partially explain why they decided not to match Broberg aside from the cap reasons.
Max Wanner will see the NHL before Akey if I had to guess. He already has the tools to play bottom pairing D

Reactions: NotAVacuumSalesman

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I find this line of reasoning to be both true and completely disingenuous.

We know that Oilers management prioritized UFAs, Hiring a GM, and signing Draisaitl to guarantee the long term cap structure - in that order. They told us as much. They had qualifying offers out to these guys, and maybe there were some lowball starter offers out there that have henceforth gone unreported or discussed.

At the end of the day, if they prioritized signing these guys to reasonable deals, they for certain could have had Holloway out of the equation at a minimum. Maybe Broberg was looking offer sheet from the get-go, but prioritizing these negotiations could have potentially circumvented all of this.

I’d argue that based on what we know it’s MORE counterfactual to suggest that “it takes two to tango / the players didnt want to sign here” than to say that “we could have signed them if we prioritized them”.

I think it’s more disingenuous to just assume contracts are always handed out based on cap space available over player-specific factors.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Akey had a great camp last season, showing well for rookie; he has great potential for a 2nd round pick. He also lost a year of development because of a serious injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad